The Wild Eric

THE LITTLE MERMAID WEEKEND THREAD

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I think it's more that Little Mermaid never had that defining animated show to help keep carrying it. BATB didn't either but that was mounted on a grand scale and came out very early in this IP exploitation time. And speaking just personally, there was no TLM songs which were popular outside the Disney and theater crowd. Even BATB had Be Our Guest which we have heard used elsewhere, I genuinely didn't know any TLM songs till the promos for this movie.

The Little Mermaid had a show though!

It also introduced one of the best villain characters in The Evil Manta, voiced by the legend himself Tim Curry

evil-manta-little-mermaid-300x225.png

12 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I actually think Mermaid is more girlie b/c it is so singular character focused for conflicts and arcs...

There's more to the other characters in Beauty and the Beast than Mermaid.  The Beast's mystery and arc is huge and predates Belle...heck, even the dishes arc is huge - you have buy in to other characters that matter.  

Love it or hate it, Mermaid is a solo woman show.  You have her and everything revolves around her - dad, the animals, the prince, and Ursula.

In B&tB, the castle revolves more around Beast...

Agreed. It also helps that BatB has a very masculine villain in Gaston whereas TLM has another female as the villain.

Edited by KP1025
  • Like 1

We'll see how things pan out domestically and what it's drops are here on out.

Internationally though, that will be and should be a VERY interesting discussion and debate for the ages. That's not just low. The overseas numbers feels like a kind of movement.

Btw, does anyone know what the UK openings for Aladdin, Lion King, or BatB were?

Edited by jedijake

9 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Huh?  What the fuck did I just read . 

Have you missed the news over the last two years? It's a pretty big story. I'm constantly bombarded with this shit on my timeline.

• Like 1

Just now, CaptNathanBrittles said:

How did TLM cost $70m more than ALADDIN?

Whoever green lit that should be fired.

Yes, let's spend $70m more a movie that doesn't have Will Smith or any bankable star that is a remake of a movie that sold less than half the amount of tickets the animated ALADDIN did. Genius.

Reportedly, it was the underwater effects and COVID delays. Sadly, the money they spent doesn't show on the screen (especially compared to Avatar 2). 

18 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I'm wondering about the Snow White movie starring Zegler and Gadot. Zegler hasn't exactly been in any movie which has set the box office on fire so far and Gadot is not a draw. I don't think there's any iconic songs in there either.

And obviously there's going to be a lot of online discourse about an Hispanic actress being Snow White. I wonder if we will be able to comp it to Mirror, Mirror.

As we have seen in almost every genre of movies, it's the late-to-the-party movies which suffer the most.

Don't forget the lack of dwarfs. That movie is dead.

• Like 6
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, jedijake said:

We'll see how things pan out domestically and what it's drops are here on out.

Internationally though, that will be and should be a VERY interesting discussion and debate for the ages. That's not just low. The overseas numbers feels like a kind of movement.

Btw, does anyone know what the UK openings for Aladdin, Lion King, or BatB were?

BatB £19.7m

Lion King £16.7m

-more than £11m less-

Aladdin £5.7m

Little Mermaid £5.1m

Edit: Isaac replied first. 

Edited by Krissykins

9 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

How did TLM cost $70m more than ALADDIN?

Whoever green lit that should be fired.

Yes, let's spend $70m more a movie that doesn't have Will Smith or any bankable star that is a remake of a movie that sold less than half the amount of tickets the animated ALADDIN did. Genius.

To be fair, The Litte Mermaid has so "little" box office at that time because it was the first of the Renaissance movies (in a moment where Disney Animated movies weren't succesful).

The movie was really relevant and popular.

Edited by Kon

22 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Are they even having dwarves in it? And I think I read that there's no prince in it. If true, it's gonna be ugly!!!

How about half of it is in Spanish with no subtitles? 

Stil ha e no clue what they were thinking on that one..

Edited by screambaby

Just now, CJohn said:

Don't forget the lack of dwarfs. That movie is dead.

Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to work we go...

Yeah, I didn't know they skipped the 7 dwarves for the movie.  Now that I do, add me to the club that is expecting a financial bomb.  I mean, who watches Snow White and doesn't love the dwarves?  They are the best characters of the classic animated movie!