The Wild Eric

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

Just now, TMP said:

You guys gotta stop getting so offended over old directors not liking current block-busters lmfao

It’s not about getting offended. It’s about calling out bullshit. Asking for realism from John Wick is like calling for realism from Star Wars. It’s a dumb trend and doesn’t contribute to absolutely anything. Old director without a good box office run for decades complaining about a new thing that does have box office success is a bad trend for cinema, regardless of what the old guard seems to think of cinema. There is a reason why you don’t see James Cameron pulling off this kind of stunt.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Okay. Complete hypothetical, not movie in production.
Say WB did a Keaton Batman movie in the style of Logan or something that was completely unconnected to the DCEU and was JUST about Batman and his attempt at a "last ride" in a doomed Gotham.

You can say "Keaton isn't Tom Cruise" or whatever but I seriously think THAT would have made money. Of course it would also have to be genuinely good like Logan was but I think it's stupid to write off Keaton's Batman as they did.

considering there are two Batman movies in production and Keaton’s Batman was all over the marketing for The Flash yet didn’t seem to help the movie at all I’d say the ship has sailed for any more Keaton related stuff 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Doing excellent!!!! All healthy!!!!

to be fair, this isn’t movie theatre specific. All retail and commercial spaces are being drastically shut down in this area. I believe that even Walmarts and Whole Foods have vacated the area.

It’s been on the news for months now, you can google the news articles regarding the companies I listed above in that area. I wouldn’t use it as an example of the overall health of the industry in North America.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Torontofan said:

Fact SS and BvS did such massive numbers despite having horrid wom shows DCU had a ton of potential. 

BvS did not do massive numbers for the movie it was. It had a massive opening weekend - because Batman and Superman - and then had absolutely disastrous legs for the rest of its run - because the movie was terrible and word got around.

That combination on film should have done Avengers numbers. That's what WB were banking on. A lot of ret-conning going on in the subsequent years doesn't make any of that less true.

Edited by FunkMiller
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Doing excellent!!!! All healthy!!!!

Seems both of these are primarily lease related.  Having a lower volume location in a metro area where rents are high is about the worst possible combination given the current market: fixed cost up, revenue down. That’s why a lot of closures are happening in places like CA, NY, FL, etc 

• Like 1