The Wild Eric

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

8 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

For streaming, it’s not even worth it to make mid budget films unless you get a Hemsworth, a Gadot or Evans and De Armas for them. It’s much more profitable to turn what could be a romantic comedy into a teenage series, or a Family Addams remake into the new hottest streaming show. If wasn’t superhero films, it would be another type of blockbusters. And if they keep fading, then we are well, fucked. I really wouldn’t like not going to the movies, but I feel like the more we fight back against blockbusters, the faster we will get there. 

And yes, streaming will fuck creators and artists over. Just like Hollywood. It’s a big bubble operating in the red yes, but it’s not going away. 

Which is exactly the problem?? An industry does well from the BOTTOM UP. It can't survive, let alone thrive on blockbusters only, regardless of the genre. I get it, you don't care and aren't even interested in showing up for anything else, but you're woefully missing the point.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Which is exactly the problem?? An industry does well from the BOTTOM UP. It can't survive, let alone thrive on blockbusters only, regardless of the genre. I get it, you don't care and aren't even interested in showing up for anything else, but you're woefully missing the point.

I don’t show up lol? This year alone I watched more than 20 films at movie theaters. My options here in Brazil are sort of limited, but I did watch all I could find time for that interested me. But I’m part of a box office message board and hardly what anyone would call me part of the GA. Your anger and frustration is about something neither you or me can change, regardless how much I’d also like more variety at the movies as well. And the industry as we know it is dying, and it will unfortunately keep dying. It dies and changes every passing decade. So if the latest successful superhero film or the latest Cruise’s nostalgia ride (that I haven’t even see it) can help keep the movie theaters light on for me to watch Peele’s Nope or Aster’s Beau is Afraid, I see this as a win. 

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t show up lol? This year alone I watched more than 20 films at movie theaters. My options here in Brazil are sort of limited, but I did watch all I could find time for that interested me. But I’m part of a box office message board and hardly what anyone would call the GA. Your anger and frustration is about something neither you or me can change, regardless how much I’d also like more variety at the movies as well. And the industry as we know it is dying, and it will unfortunately keep dying. It dies and changes every passing decade. So if the latest successful superhero film or the latest Cruise’s nostalgia ride (that I haven’t even see it) can help keep the movie theaters light on for me to watch Peele’s Nope or Aster’s Beau is Afraid, I see this as a win. 

I'm not throwing my frustration at you. I am answering you because you went on a tirade about how Spielberg or Scorsese or whatever dislike certain films and are out of touch without understanding the deeper point being made. This is the deeper point being made. If these are the only films doing well cinema is dying and will die.

The directors don't hate these films. What they do hate is how they are made, and that they are the only things working. They care about the industry more than the base level fan does because they actually work in it. They don't gain anything if it collapses.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Actuals for The Flash

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Days
Jun 15, 2023 P $9,700,000   3,400 $2,853   $9,700,000  
Jun 16, 2023 1 $24,133,354   4,234 $5,700   $24,133,354 1
Jun 17, 2023 1 $15,554,339 -36% 4,234 $3,674   $39,687,693 2
Jun 18, 2023 1 $15,355,986 -1% 4,234 $3,627   $55,043,679 3
Jun 19, 2023 1 $6,160,801 -60% 4,234 $1,455   $61,204,480 4
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, JustLurking said:

I'm not throwing my frustration at you. I am answering you because you went on a tirade about how Spielberg or Scorsese or whatever dislike certain films without understanding the deeper point being made. This is the deeper point being made. If these are the only films doing well cinema is dying and will die.

The directors don't hate these films. What they do hate is how they are made, and that they are the only things working. They care about the industry more than the base level fan does because they actually work in it. They don't gain anything if it collapses.

It’s not a tirade. My opinion is that they are going after the wrong targets, and I maintain the same opinion. It’s not about they hating any giving film or genre. It’s that the reason I can watch some more experimental films at my local home theater is that despite The Flash bombing, people are still going hard for Into the Spider-Verse. I’m talking brick and mortar movie theaters like the one in my town with 80k habitants that is located at a failed mall that literally just has a food center and the movie theater going for it. Yes, it’s important for the art that more films work. But the way I see it at the height of my 42 years around this planet, cinema and the industry has been dying since then, it only escalated further with streaming. Super Mario likely helped the theater patron that I know to pay the rent and lights for at least more six months. It’s mindless fun, I wasn’t even willing to go watch it but my older brother asked me to so I did. It was crowded as fuck, just like it was for Vol. 3 and Spider-Verse. 

Was the movie theater full when I watched Beau is Afraid at the day it premiered? Lol no, but at least it came here and I got to watch the film. For like, six years, my town didn’t even had a movie theater, and that was between 2005 and 2010. That we still have one after the pandemic and a shopping mall that went literally bankrupt during the pandemic is a miracle. That’s what I’m talking about, not really the art, but the very possibility of watching a film at a movie theater, either if it’s a superhero film or something else entirely.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Netflix has played a huge role in devaluing the mid-budget movie by providing them to subscribers for free and Netflix is not in the red these days. 

If Netflix is the only company that will fund something like Scorsese's "The Irishman" then more power to Netflix.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

15 minutes ago, dudalb said:

If Netflix is the only company that will fund something like Scorsese's "The Irishman" then more power to Netflix.

I’m not arguing they’ve never funded a good movie. But they’re also the people who decided The Irishman did not deserve a meaningful theatrical release. 

• Like 1

Just now, ZeroHour said:

I’m not arguing they’ve never funded a good movie. But they’re also the people who decided The Irishman did not deserve a meaningful theatrical release. 

Never mind The Irishman, the fact that Glass Onion didn’t get a full blown theatrical release date still blows my mind. I’d literally go to a premiere of it if it was. 

4 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Oh I  thnk they made a mistake there. Nut at least they stepped up to the plate here when no one else would.

29 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I guess this all comes down to wanting MOVIES to continue to thrive, or THEATERS.

If studios feel they don't have to make mid-budget films anymore because Apple or Netflix are making them, it's going to eventually end with theaters going out of business.

• Like 1

Just now, ChipDerby said:

I guess this all comes down to wanting MOVIES to continue to thrive, or THEATERS.

If studios feel they don't have to make mid-budget films anymore because Apple or Netflix are making them, it's going to eventually end with theaters going out of business.

How about blaming the studiios who refuse to fund Mid Level Films? That is where the blame lies.

I think Holywood is going to get a huge shake up, and IMHO it deserves it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChipDerby said:

The Irishman was very expensive and you can't blame studios for being a bit reluctant to greenlight something like it because it would make a loss. Killers of the Flower Moon has a huge budget but it's mostly funded by Apple.

35 minutes ago, dudalb said:

But will Netflix fund 2025's version of the Irishman? 

19 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Not exactly. Take another look at contemporary news articles and you'll see Netflix and theaters fail to come to an agreement in large part due to problems with theatrical windows. If it had been released in 2023, you'd possibly see a Knives Out 2 situation: neither a full theatrical release nor a purely pro forma 4 walled release in a few indie theaters.. 

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The Irishman was very expensive and you can't blame studios for being a bit reluctant to greenlight something like it because it would make a loss. Killers of the Flower Moon has a huge budget but it's mostly funded by Apple.

Apple also picked up the "Masters of the Air" minisereis after HBO sat on it for years; this is the Spielberg/Hanks produced sucessor to "Band of Brothers" and "The Pacific"  dealling the 8th US Army Air Force's campaign against Nazi Germany from 1942 to 1945. Will subscribe to Apple for that alone.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I know this place has its share of crazies but Disney being bought by Apple is not going to happen. 

Agreed. Disney is too big and powerful. if anything it would be a merger of equals. But even thenit would run into reallly heavy legalnd political problems under the Anti Trust laws. 

5 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

But will Netflix fund 2025's version of the Irishman? 

Not exactly. Take another look at contemporary news articles and you'll see Netflix and theaters fail to come to an agreement in large part due to problems with theatrical windows. If it had been released in 2023, you'd possibly see a Knives Out 2 situation: neither a full theatrical release nor a purely pro forma 4 walled release in a few indie theaters.. 

I don’t think I’d describe The Glass Onion release as particularly serious. A trial ballon at best, an attempt to placate Rian Johnson at worst. 

Daily Box Office Top 7 for Monday, June 19, 2023
1. #TheFlashMovie - $6.16M
2. #SpiderManAcrossTheSpiderVerse - $6.10M
3. #Elemental - $5.30M
4. #Transformers #RiseOfTheBeasts - $3.32M
5. #TheLittleMermaid - $2.71M
6. #TheBlackening - $1.18M
7. #GotGVol3 - $1.01M

We can clearly said :Flash barely cross $100m DOM now.

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

I am not hating on Netflix. Neither Scorcese. Or Spielberg for that matter. Neither I believe that there is ‘superhero fatigue’, what I actually see is paying to watch movies at movie theaters fatigue. And that’s on two things in my opinion: the change of habits thanks to the pandemic and how insanely large streaming is right now. It’s too many options, with films being available at home way too fast. I think that’s likely the future, with the movie theater becoming far more scarce and premium, which is actually something that will sting for me. And I’m not talking about ageism.

Nolan is the best and most respected director of his gen and still uses his hype to get people at the movies, Tom Cruise for better and for worse, does the same. And let’s not even mention Cameron. My point is, the death of mid budget isn’t thanks to the superhero genre. It’s streaming. Romantic comedies still exist, but they are turned into series that people obsess over on social media. The way I see it, the moviegoing experience unless we start listening more to the Cruises, Camerons, Nolans and yes Feiges and now Gunns of the world, it’ll unfortunately become more and more prestige, expensive and featuring only mega blockbusters, from whatever is hot these days. Demanding for better release windows for their films, making them a spectacle that you must watch at the biggest screen possible is what is keeping movie theaters as we know it alive, imho. 

It’s funny that you think both things aren’t related. 

Netflix didn’t exist in a vacuum, Netflix exists as a counterpoint to something that make their existence possible. 

The “something”? Tickets prices rising at super speed, which make the experience of go to a theater more elitist and the possibility of having a big catalogue available at home something great. 

Then we got to the mid budgets, seeing that people was having less money to go to theater and see a lot of movies, what did Hollywood do? Decided to invest on spectacle which aren’t available at home the same way, but not any spectacle, the comfortable type of spectacle that is more likely to get their money back, which is: sequels, remakes, reboots and yes, SH in the middle of all these things. 

So once again what Netflix did? Counterpoint, make investments in the opposite of what Hollywood did, so yes, mid budget movies that aren’t valuable anymore in an theatrical industry going full on IP’s. 

With that said, is clear that even streaming existence is just a consequence of capitalism crisis and how Hollywood answered. 

edit: obviously this is something from a decade ago, since then and especially post pandemic these differences are stretching even more now that audiences are totally adapted to streaming and demanding even more to be willing to pay a ticket, otherwise not even relying on IP’s or brand is enough anymore. And with that we’re seeing even big movies going to streaming or flopping in theaters.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • ...wtf 1