The Wild Eric

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

14 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Lol, don't go on Twitter and search "postminor" or "minor coded": some people out there genuinely feel anyone 25 or under is a helpless baby... The whole "brain development" argument is kind of bunk, BTW:

What’s interesting about that whole thing is that feminists of yesteryear would find it insulting to consider a woman in her mid-20s a child. That would just be patronizing. But I guess some people like to be patronized now.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dudalb said:

De Capio was already a rising actor before Titanic. what Leo was able to do is takt the sucess of Titanic and actully go beyond being a actin star and bcome a respected dramatic actor. Of course be able to hook up with Scorsese right after Titanic and becoming Marty's go to guy helped there....

What Leo doesn't get nearly enough credit for is that he disappeared 1998 - most of 2002. He had Man in Iron Mask in 1998 and the Beach in 2000, two average profile releases, and then nothing else until December 2002 with both Gangs of New York & Catch Me if You Can. Yes, Leo's explosion dwarfed the others, but in that interim period summer 1998-December 2002, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon blew up simultaneously, then Heath Ledger blew up a bit, then Josh Hartnett blew up a lot.

December 2002 wasn't quite 'comeback' territory for Leo, but the teen girls who loved in Titanic were now adults. DiCaprio had to basically reinvent himself as a serious actor through his "3 films in 24 months" dash of Gangs of New York (Scorsese x1), Catch me if You Can (Spielberg),  and The Aviator (Scorsese x2). Had that stretch not gone so well, his career would have really fizzled ala Affleck in 2003.

16 minutes ago, YM! said:

Call me back when a Disney movie has better LGBTQ representation than Disney Channel shows. At best, we will get a kiss between Wiccan and Hulkling that can be edited out with a few scenes. I trust Marvel somewhat more than most other franchises for representation but only to a certain point.

I hear you. But I think it’s impossible to make Young Avengers without heavy LGBTQ representation, meaning that with America Chavez, Wiccan, Speed and Hulkling involved, it’s coming no matter what. What I’m torn is this: how are we getting this? A film? A tv series? A lot of the current MCU events lead to the Young Avengers so it’s obvious that they are going there: Scarlet Witch’s ‘death’ and the search of her children for her, the absence of an actual Avengers team resulting in the rise of the Thunderbolts, a Skrull invasion that could potentially link Hulkling into this, not to mention the obvious connection between Iron Lad and Kang.

I actually think a lot of the MCU has been leading to this, and it has always felt like a hole in the MCU current road map to me. The question I have is how do they make this and give these characters room to shine? Does a tv show gives them more freedom since they seem to kinda don’t give a fuck of what bigots think when it comes to the shows? Or do we want a full blown film?

5 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

What’s interesting about that whole thing is that feminists of yesteryear would find it insulting to consider a woman in her mid-20s a child. That would just be patronizing. But I guess some people like to be patronized now.

Its very stupid cause like honestly if you're old enough to buy cigarettes and alcohol then you can date leondaro dicaprio. 

18 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The forums are giving me ads for Acer laptops and Spanish PSAs for my state's department of health.

I feel like my ads are for something very specific but I don’t want to speculate because I feel as I could be catastrophically wrong.

Like… are these cycling shorts and baking equipment, or something else entirely?

IMG-2009.jpg

• Haha 4
  • Astonished 1

A DC Film flopping might have been hilarious back in 2017 (the JL Weekend Thread still remains one of the hilarious threads on this forum) but now it's just sad. All this for a film that has been officially in development for nine freaking years (in which a TV show about the same character had 9 seasons in between).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Its very stupid cause like honestly if you're old enough to buy cigarettes and alcohol then you can date leondaro dicaprio. 

And it's not like DiCaprio is dating a bunch of 20 year olds who still live with their parents and are basically mental teenagers still. He's dating people who are successful in the business and who have lived more life than most of us

Edited by ringedmortality
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

All this for a film that has been officially in development for nine freaking years (in which a TV show about the same character had 9 seasons in between).

Ezra Miller was announced as the Flash the same month the first John Wick opened. Imagine guessing then which of these franchises is opening bigger now.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

24 minutes ago, YM! said:

Call me back when a Disney movie has better LGBTQ representation than Disney Channel shows. At best, we will get a kiss between Wiccan and Hulkling that can be edited out with a few scenes. I trust Marvel somewhat more than most other franchises for representation but only to a certain point.

At this point I kinda feel as if most LGBT representation in a major productions is gonna be locked away to an R-Rating at this point. I don’t think DreamWorks, Illumination, and Sony have any at all in the PG movies.

3 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

A DC Film flopping might have been hilarious back in 2017 (the JL Weekend Thread still remains one of the hilarious threads on this forum) but now it's just sad. All this for a film that has been officially in development for nine freaking years (in which a TV show about the same character had 9 seasons in between).

Irony department: In the Early stages, Lord and Miller were the writers for "The Flash". And now they have preety much owned "The FLash" in the multiverse department with ATSV.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Irony department: In the Early stages, Lord and Miller were the writers for "The Flash". And now they have preety much owned "The FLash" in the multiverse department with ATSV.

The guys behind that well received Dungeons and Dragons film were signed onto write and direct this too at one point.

When was the last time a franchise bounced back from multiple failures? 

Just thinking that the hope is Gunn's DC Universr ushers in a new era of success for DC but generally I feel like most franchises that start declining just never recover or at least ever perform in the way people want again.

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Seriously Deadline?

”To some degree these figures are not surprising as this is where the box office openings of deep universe superhero movies live when they’re starting off a franchise.”

Wonder Woman opened over $100 million coming right after BVS and SS (and being first introduced in BVS), what an incredible win that movie was. Patty Jenkins remains undefeated, as that was the only DCEU movie that was truly successful in all fronts (huge at the box office, acclaimed by critics and loved by fans and audiences).