The Wild Eric

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

27 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Just do one film at a time. Don’t connect them up.  It’s not worth the drama.  

An idea I had playing around in my head was to, at first, make completely standalone movies servicing their own worlds much like Marvel in the early years of the new millennium, never contradicting one another but not referening each other either. Then, after a few years, do a Crisis adaptation and merge all of these worlds together into a shared universe.

Anyway, with all the DC talk this weekend I decided to look into a comparison chart pitting the two Shazam movies against each other in admissions for my homeland Turkey. And holy shit, Shazam 2 flopped even harder here than in the US: https://boxofficeturkiye.com/karsilastirma/shazam-serisi--358/hafta-sonu

The second film's entire run of 92K admissions is lower than the first film's opening weekend of 109K admits. Meaning the first film was more successful in just 3 days than the second was in 5 whole weeks. That honestly left me speechless. How can anyone even realistically respond to that? Oh, and the second film's best weekend-to-weekend drop was a whopping 65%.

For comparison, Spider-Verse 2 is tearing the first movie to shreds here: https://boxofficeturkiye.com/karsilastirma/orumcek-adam-animasyon-serisi--364/hafta-sonu

It not only opened higher than the first (103K admits vs 74K), but also dropped a lot better in its second weekend (-35% vs -45%). Hell, its first full week of 169K admits came dangerously close to toppling the first film's entire run of 177K admits. The latest data we have as of now is its 14-day total of nearly 300K admits, which is double what the first film achieved (152K) in its first two weeks in theaters. The power of summer weekdays is apparent here.

• Like 1

I just googled “Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning” budget and the top result is $290m. 

Is that correct? 

Indiana Jones is $295m. 

What is going on here lol. 

Edited by Krissykins

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I just googled “Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning” budget and the top result is $290m. 

Is that correct? 

Indiana Jones is $295m. 

They think they are Avatar. :hahaha:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Is that correct? 

Indiana Jones is $295m. 

COVID related budget increases.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Is that correct? 

Indiana Jones is $295m. 

I believe so. It actually made the headlines for a while with stories of Tom Cruise demanding more and more cash from Paramount. Hell, I think it's still referenced in the title for its discussion thread here.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DAJK said:

Wow… I can honestly say my theory of “Flash is bombing because it sucks” is down the drain.

I know it’s just my personal opinion, so don’t come after me, but that was one of DC’s best movies. 

It's how I felt about Shazam 2's performance.  For whatever reason on that movie, audiences abandoned a decent movie that normally would not be abandoned.  It's not an A movie, but a solid B super normally sells.

But, in its performance defense, it helped me see this Flash open a mile away.  If a decent DC movie is gonna absolutely get crushed, how would one that probably isn't much better and has way more baggage and competition do?  And now we know...

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

They should finally ditch larger narrative and unified universe to make standalone movies with different styles, tones, ratings and budgets, like they did with Burton and Nolan Batman films, Phillips' Joker, Donner's Superman, Reeves The Batman. All DC's biggest successes are standalone films, even if some were technically part of the universe like Aquaman and Wonder Woman, but they didn't lean into that. But it's gonna be too late when they realize that if it wasn't obvious at all by this point, I would be surprised if DCU is successful, it looks like uphill battle to me.

Of course they should. They should have done that in 2013. WB and Dc had a winning strategy right in front of them with The Dark Knight movies, that earned them incredible success across the board.

But WB is run by greedy idiots, who wanted that Marvel MCU shared universe dollar, and just decided to try and copy it, for no artistic reason whatsoever. So the last ten years have been by and large an abject failure.

That failure will continue under Zaslav... because he is also greedy, and still wants to chase the MCU dollar.

Watch The Batman 2 and Joker 2 outgross everything Gunn is doing.

• Like 3

DC rankings for the last decade (I have not seen the Flash):

Best movies:

Wonder Woman

Joker

The Batman

Good movies:

Shazam

Black Adam

The Suicide Squad

Man of Steel (although I still hate the tanker moment - that's why this isn't at the top of good)

Shazam 2

Not So Good movies:

Aquaman

Birds of Prey

Justice League

Wonder Woman 2

Want to Stab My Eyes Out So I Never, Ever See Them Again:

Suicide Squad

BvS

Notice, 2 of the best 3 movies are NOT DCU...

Moderation:

God Morning from Your Basic Twitter Mods: Gonna pause  the ZSJL discussion before we start; since it always ends the same way. We are close enough to 100 pages that we don’t need to pad the thread with going round and round about that.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

Of course they should. They should have done that in 2013. WB and Dc had a winning strategy right in front of them with The Dark Knight movies, that earned them incredible success across the board.

But WB is run by greedy idiots, who wanted that Marvel MCU shared universe dollar, and just decided to try and copy it, for no artistic reason whatsoever. So the last ten years have been by and large an abject failure.

That failure will continue under Zaslav... because he is also greedy, and still wants to chase the MCU dollar.

There is nothing wrong on world building the DCU just like there isn’t nothing wrong with building the MCU. Zaslav is a moron but he just landed the literal best superhero storyteller working in the business to spearhead the rebirth of the DC Universe. It’s hard, it’s an almost impossible task. But if there is one person that can make the DC Cinematic Universe a cool universe, that’s James Gunn

If him and Safran hang on these boards, the only note I’d give is more focus on the film side than the streaming side of things. I’m confident that Superman Legacy is going to be a slam dunk.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Elemental is as bad as it gets, i would have rather lit myself on fire

I saw it at a midnight showing and the only others in theater was a mother and her child and it was like we were all playing a game of Silent Library

Who's going to see an animated Pixar movie at midnight? I'm kind of questioning the validity of your post lol.

• Haha 7

48 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

Pretty much this. I think one of ex Warner executives said that as well on twitter and was bullied by cultists. I think Superman: Legacy is gonna be well received most likely, but there's a big chance it'll bomb and kill this new attempt at shared universe. They will be losing hundreds of millions until they finally embrace what actually worked for them before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Is that correct? 

Indiana Jones is $295m. 

• Thanks 1