kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals (Jun 23 - 25) | 19.00M ATSV | 18.44M ELEMENTAL | 15.14M THE FLASH | 15.00M NO HARD FEELINGS

16 minutes ago, cookie said:

I border on Gen Z and I didn't like the premise as presented in the trailers because it made the parents in the movie look like sociopaths who exploit a woman's financial situation while forcing their own son into a scenario he's not at all comfortable with, and asked myself how that was supposed to be funny and not disturbing. Maybe the movie itself does a better job of making sense of it, but the trailers didn't sell me at all.

Proving her point in a slightly different way. I respect the grind though.

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

NHF carries a $45M budget. Clearly will need to not completely tank overseas to break even but it's already looking to overperform tracking so overall not too shabby for an R-rated comedy in 2023.

Jennifer Lawrence's 'No Hard Feelings' Box Office Projections - Variety

Half of that is Jennifer Lawrence's salary, right? There's no way it should cost that much.

10 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Not every Wes Anderson movie has polled but this is one of his higher CSs overall (beaten only by Fantastic Mr. Fox) so solid! I can't see Asteroid City being a massive breakout but I'll take the fact it's even doing somewhat decently as a small victory.

6 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Half of that is Jennifer Lawrence's salary, right? There's no way it should cost that much.

comedies should be budgeted at 30m or under , a non comedy actress should not demand 20m+ paycheck without demand in genre, Sony overpaid

there are examples where Sony said no to Seth Rogen at 40m, said make it for 25m

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineapple_Express_(film)

I'm not going to sugarcoat it, this June has been awful. There's no way around it. Spider-Verse 2 opened great and continued to perform well afterwards, but everything else pretty much flopped. Transformers overperformed in its opening frame but collapsed afterwards because of competition, and Flash and Elemental bombed from the get go. Indiana Jones 5 is likely next in line. It really feels like summer 2017 all over again, and I can't even count how many franchises were killed that year.

Between this and the crew strikes, Hollywood should go back to the drawing board and scrap their current schedules completely and start over. Don't try and squeeze 10 megablockbusters into the same month and spread them out more. Make better uses of August and September. The only movie that has any real chance of being a hit this August is Meg 2, which I don't see making much more than $300M worldwide.

Thankfully, July is looking a lot better. Mission Impossible 7 being so close to Oppenheimer will hurt it, but otherwise that month has far better scheduling. Unlike June's movies, Barbie and Oppenheimer being released on the same day won't hurt either movie by much, as they both appeal to completely different audiences and even kind of benefit each other by all the "Barbieheimer LAWL" talk.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Proving her point in a slightly different way. I respect the grind though.

Or maybe some people just don't find the premise of your comedy movie as advertised to be all that funny? Shocking concept, I know.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Flopped said:

Lmao I forgot that movie even existed. Worst BP winner ever? Even Shakespeare in Love is at least a movie you don't forget won BP. And yes, Green Book is better than CODA. I especially hated the "wonderfully quirky and oversexed" parents. JUST BECAUSE THEY'RE DEAF DOESN'T MEAN THEY DON'T HAVE LOTS AND LOTS OF SEX AND AREN'T FUNNY OK?? 

bummed i missed the coda discourse but as an actual coda myself i really don’t like the movie and find it to be both an oversimplification of deaf family dynamics and a disservice to codas & deaf parents— ESPECIALLY don’t like how they use her love of music as a source of tension/conflict, especially when virtually any deaf person i know would not react angrily about their hearing child wanting to sing. sound of metal slams if you’re looking for a movie w good deaf representation imo

• Like 5

Bullock in at least a semi-appealing looking rom-com is probably the only one who can still really get comedies to do much at the box office. 

And nothing against her, but J Law has not been relevant for a decade. The studio was insanely stupid if they paid her $25m for this, they deserve the flop. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Wouldn't be shocked if Gen Zers find the premise of No Hard Feelings uncomfortable due to the "massive" age gap and *quesTionabLe pOweR dyNaMics* of the leads. Maybe they don't all think that way, but the Twitter brained ones are very loud...

Also, Gen Z missed out the 2005-2012ish era of huge R-rated comedy hits and experiencing the feeling of seeing movies like that with a crowd. A lot of people have the mindset that if it's not a visual spectacle or "event", seeing it at home is totally the same. To be fair it isn't only young people who feel that way these days.

i get your point with this post but i’m not sure your tone is in the best taste lol. like, even if people on twitter can be loud/annoying about it, it’s objectively a good thing that we have made social progress on how we view age of consent laws, power dynamics & age gaps and it feels weird to indicate otherwise?? 😀

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Bullock in at least a semi-appealing looking rom-com is probably the only one who can still really get comedies to do much at the box office. 

And nothing against her, but J Law has not been relevant for a decade. The studio was insanely stupid if they paid her $25m for this, they deserve the flop. 

Lost city had a 70m budget and didn't get total a 200m worldwide.

Edited by XO21

7 hours ago, JustWatching said:

Honestly, at this point if I’m James Gunn I’m taking the weekend to decide if I still want to do this. By the time Legacy is ready the well may not have just been poisoned, but dried up, filled in, paved over and then blown to atoms to make way for a hyperspace bypass. I’m a year older than Gunn and it sure wouldn’t be worth the aggravation for me, especially if I had his bank account.

I don’t even think half of Gunn’s planned projects will come to fruition anyways. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Poseidon said:

I'm very concerend about kids movies. 

It seems like parents learned to save time parking the kids in front of a tv watching streams instead of going to the movies as a family experience. 

The problem is: Those kids are the future of cinema. If they don't learn to go to the movies from the beginning, tey won't start at the age of 16. Those kids might be lost forever and that's pretty much the worst case for movies and cinemas. 

Yes, I know that Mario was a smash, but the amount of kids movies overall playing in theaters is tiny nowadays.

I guess it's not too easy to figure out why Pixar is hit that hard. Other movies will be on streaming too, but I guess it's still a big part of the problem. 

As for No Hard feeligs: I really hope it gets better later. I was so rooting for themovie. Poeple seem to have forgotten how great comedies are when watched in a theater instead of at home on Netflix while scrolling through your Instagram. 

I don't want every genre to die until only Superhero movies are left. 

Doesn't things like Mario, Rise of Gru, and Puss in Boots: The Last Wish prove kids movies can still do well?