kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals (Jun 23 - 25) | 19.00M ATSV | 18.44M ELEMENTAL | 15.14M THE FLASH | 15.00M NO HARD FEELINGS

Eh, I always find it hard to justify any performer being paid 20M+ for a few months work when there are people literally starving in the streets, or losing their homes due to medical debt, or unable to buy insulin or call an ambulance.

But that’s just me.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, excel1 said:

The Batman didn't get to $800m. Superman getting there would be impressive

Superhero fatigue and what feels like the 8th superman character with tv and movies in a decade? Gimme 500 million WW max. Loathe the top choices thus far.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Eh, I always find it hard to justify any performer being paid 20M+ for a few months work when there are people literally starving in the streets, or losing their homes due to medical debt, or unable to buy insulin or call an ambulance.

But that’s just me.

Studios aren't going to be sending the non star paid money anywhere but executive pockets and shareholders.   It's not as if they'd spread it around to the crew or it keeps them from laying off secretaries, cleaning staff and interns.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

But that’s just me.

I rather see JLaw getting her money than the executives just putting the money in their pockets like they usually do

I mean sure the contradictions of capitalism became obvious every time you think about it, but JLaw or any actor getting 20M is really a minor thing in the big picture, this is nothing compared to what the people which represents the problem gets 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

And Superman: Legacy is launching a DC reboot. This movie has to connect with audiences more than a movie that is just setting up its own individual franchise. 

What movie has to do has nothing to do with what it's going to do.

Batman is just a much bigger character.

Also Superman Legacy? What kind of lame title is that, what legacy, bunch of forgotten movies and a moustache debacle.

2 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

What movie has to do has nothing to do with what it's going to do.

Batman is just a much bigger character.

Also Superman Legacy? What kind of lame title is that, what legacy, bunch of forgotten movies and a moustache debacle.

Superman Legacy makes it sound like the movie will be about well..... Superman's legacy, which generally means what remains after he's dead. So just based off the title it sounds like we'll be getting the 2nd movie where Superman dies in it.

As much as Snyder was the reason of current DC mess, atleast Man of Steel was a cool title.

Superman Legacy sounds like those streaming documentaries which have one episode dedicated to all superman and one extra for Nicholas Cage superman explaining how he was the best superman who never was.

• Like 2

Just now, Ledmonkey96 said:

Superman Legacy makes it sound like the movie will be about well..... Superman's legacy, which generally means what remains after he's dead. So just based off the title it sounds like we'll be getting the 2nd movie where Superman dies in it.

I think first and foremost we need to realize that Superhero Pop Culture Landscape has changed.

While Batman and Spiderman remain on top, Superman is no longer the Top level character like he once was.

The best thing that adapting Comic Books to cinema has done is get some lesser known Superheroes and made them much more popular on global scale than they should ever be if they were just stuck on comic book pages.

But on the other hand it might be worst thing ever for Superman as a character as he is the one which has had mostly forgettable outing in cinema and now there are many superheroes which are ahead of him now.

• ...wtf 1

8 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

As much as Snyder was the reason of current DC mess, atleast Man of Steel was a cool title.

Superman Legacy sounds like those streaming documentaries which have one episode dedicated to all superman and one extra for Nicholas Cage superman explaining how he was the best superman who never was.

I’m guessing it’ll be about how how Superman carries on the legacy of Krypton *yawns* but yeah, it’s super boring sounding. I just think the Superman character is seen as outdated by modern audiences. The ~edgy~ Snyder rebrand just pissed off the OG fans of the character too. 

• ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

I’m guessing it’ll be about how how Superman carries on the legacy of Krypton *yawns* but yeah, it’s super boring sounding. I just think the Superman character is seen as outdated by modern audiences. The ~edgy~ Snyder rebrand just pissed off the OG fans of the character too. 

Only positive about this movie is James Gunn, but we saw how that worked with TSS.

And another problem, they are still not willing to burn it all to the ground, soon they'll have 2 Batmen.

One Reeves Batman, another DCU Batman and a Joker in Joker movie and Reeves Batman will have a Joker.

So hilarious, and perfectly not confusing.

51 minutes ago, DAJK said:

But that’s just me.

I agree but if the companies who are worth billions are ok with paying some one that much then I’m not gonna hate them for knowing their worth. I wish people in all walks of life were able to negotiate what their work is worth.

• Like 1

The best thing Gunn can to do help his reboot universe before it kicks off is not feed the social media hype machine years and years and years in advance of every film, as Snyder and the producers who succeeded him did. Every DC film since they first rolled out their “plan” in like late 2013 has been overexposed for the sake of clicks.

Unfortunately, I don’t think Gunn is capable of avoiding this trap. He’s a massive social media presence and he likes playing into it.

https://deadline.com/2023/06/box-office-the-flash-no-hard-feelings-jennifer-lawrence-1235422274/

Saturday PM: As of tonight, according to industry estimates, Sony Animation’s fourth weekend of Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse is ahead of Disney/Pixar’s second weekend of Elemental, $19.4M to $18.3M. This is after a $7.5M Saturday for Spidey, +32% over Friday, and a $7.1M Saturday for Elemental, +27% over Friday.

Still at -38% ease, that’s not too shabby for Elemental. The previous Pixar misfire, Onward, didn’t get a full chance at a theatrical life as movie theaters closed down to due to Covid; the pic stalling at $61M stateside and jettisoning onto Disney+. Good Dinosaur, another Pixar dud, had a Thanksgiving launch back in 2015 with a $39.1M 3-day, -61% second weekend of $15.3M and final domestic take of $123M. Who knows, maybe Elemental goes farther, especially as it looks to get a boost over the July 4th frame. Gross by tomorrow looks to be $65.3M. Tonight’s figures don’t come from Disney. Spider-Verse will land at $317.1M.

As of this minute, and again Sunday could change the tables into Monday AM, Warner Bros/DC’s The Flash will take third from Sony’s R-rated Jennifer Lawrence comedy, No Hard Feelings, $15.1M in its second weekend to the latter’s $15M opening. Flash has the edge after an estimated $6M Saturday, +33% over Friday. No Hard Feelings did $4.8M, -26% against Friday/Thursday previews. Very good start here for the Jennifer Lawrence comedy, especially in this marketplace. In its older young woman tending to an even younger tot, it did look creepy — but not as creepy as 1981’s Private Lessons — remember that film? It works because audiences are clearly getting the joke and the hijinks.

Flash‘s running total by EOD tomorrow is expected to be $87.4M. Chew on this: despite the hammering Dwayne Johnson’s fall box office savior, Black Adam, took from the press, that movie’s first ten days ($110.9M) are 27% ahead of The Flash. Black Adam‘s second weekend was also bigger at $27.4M, -59% to Flash‘s -73%. Was it wise to nix Black Adam 2? Flash‘s running total at 10 days is pacing 2% behind that of Green Lantern‘s ($88.9M). That DC bomb, which starred Ryan Reynolds, posted a second weekend of $18M, -66% (also better than Flash). Black Adam finaled at $168.1M, Green Lantern ended its gross at $116.6M.

Paramount’s Transformers: Rise of the Beasts is fifth with a $4.7M third Saturday, +48% from Friday, for a third weekend of $11.5M, -44% for a $122.8M running total by EOD Sunday.

Focus Features’ expansion of Wes Anderson’s Asteroid City is swell in sixth place, booked at 1,675 locations, with a $2.8M Saturday, -26% from Friday, and second weekend of $8.7M and running total by end of Sunday at $9.9M. The wide break of Asteroid City beats the both the fourth weekend of Anderson’s 2014 title Grand Budapest Hotel which did $8.5M at 977 theaters and its wide expansion at 1,263 theaters in weekend 5 which posted $6.1M. At this pace, Asteroid City has a very good shot at surpassing the final cume of Anderson’s previous movie, The French Dispatch, which ended its stateside run at $16.1M.

It sounds like the premium screens unsurprisingly gave Spider-Verse 2 the edge here.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Looks like all the holdovers finally had some room to breathe and had solid weekends/holds 

Well, except the obvious one …

ATSV getting IMAX shows back on Sunday should keep it at #1 for the weekend