Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

9 minutes ago, rebelscum86 said:

What part is in question? Studios are making movies alienating that don't need to be, and yes there are people checking out. I don't believe my post is incoherent grammtically so maybe you disagree, but different people exist and you only hurt your awareness of reality if you hide dissent.

Because I have zero clue what PWB's presence makes this movie alienating to people? She has a few lines in the trailer, does like one or two action stuff and that's literally it. And then after you complain about her being in the trailer made you want to stay far away for...some reason, you go into some bizarro rant about how people hate the older generations, which has literally nothing to do with anything you are going on about and isn't a thing in any of the trailers. She doesn't complain about how old people suck in the trailers, so...yeah, what the hell are you even talking about?

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

Nailed it. And it's not like they've been in a bad situation before, the mid 70s-late 80s were absolutely dire for Disney, very similar to now. And why? Cause their animation department was struggling and putting out either financial failures or critical duds. I suspect we are in a similar spot at the moment. Out of the films they have coming out on the animation side, it's really only Inside Out 2 I feel really confident in doing well (feels like an easy box office win), everything else is basically a wild card.

Obviously Disney will rebound. Just like how WB/Paramount/Universal/whoever rebounds. The question is less if/when and moreso how, and I think it will come after some pretty major internal changes at the company.

If anything, this could mean the decade will have a bunch of weird experimental stuff coming from the animation side in an attempt to do something new like the post-Renaissance era which would be interesting to see. That era was also not great, though not nearly as dire as the aforementioned 70s/80s, as a lot of stuff bombed hard but I would at least love to see some interesting swings.

It would be great if it forces them to be more creative, but unfortunately the whole issue right now is execs not letting creatives do their thing. Instead they want Lion King 2 and Moana remake, I can feel the creative department’s collective exasperation from all the way over here. 

And in a way, even post Renaissance wasn’t too bad when it came to animation for them, bc Pixar had picked up the mantle and become a very natural extension of the brand. It’s truly been since the 70s/80s stretch you mentioned that animation on the whole for the brand has looked this dire. 

Edited by MovieMan89

6 minutes ago, Eric Jones said:

Because I have zero clue what PWB's presence makes this movie alienating to people? She has a few lines in the trailer, does like one or two action stuff and that's literally it. And then after you complain about her being in the trailer made you want to stay far away for...some reason, you go into some bizarro rant about how people hate the older generations, which has literally nothing to do with anything you are going on about and isn't a thing in any of the trailers. She doesn't complain about how old people suck in the trailers, so...yeah, what the hell are you even talking about?

No you see, it's because women bad.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

And in a way, even post Renaissance wasn’t too bad when it came to animation for them, bc Pixar had picked up the mantle and become a very natural extension of the brand. It’s truly been since the 70s/80s stretch you mentioned that animation on the whole for the brand has looked this dire. 

Yeah, Pixar really did help during the 2000s. I was more talking about the mainline branch which was.... yeah, not doing great. Pixar was also still somewhat independent during that time so Disney basically had zero control over the types of films they put out. Still famously remember that Michael Eisner was so confident that Finding Nemo was going to bomb that he was prepping to pull the plug on their deal with Pixar. Of course he was wrong on that but I think it's interesting now that Pixar is part of the Disney empire that they are going to have to sadly suffer cause of bad executive decisions.

Or maybe Pixar will be the sole survivor. I've learned to stop doubting them over the years.

I'm also kind of confused as to why we're all talking about how Disney being in "dire straits" is a bad thing? They're not even in dire straits. A good chunk of their movies are still going to rank in the top 10 of the year, at least domestically, which wasn't the case in the 70s and most of the 80s. That ain't "dire straits" or "the worst it's ever been" if you ask me. But anyways, them being knocked down a peg is good when it comes to more diversity for other studios and giving better deals that don't screw over theaters as much. We all got angry over Disney utterly dominating 2019 and the unfair terms they gave towards their movies to teaters, and there were people arguing it was morally and ethically wrong to see the Lion King remake in theaters. Now we're all terrified and doomposting about this?

I'm a pretty pessimistic person and I don't really get the hyperbole here. (This also isn't an invitation for you to explain why to me lol)

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

No you see, it's because women bad.

Unlikeable, badly written women are bad.

From what I heard, PWB steals from Indie, tells police to shoot indie, and punches him unconscious.  Why would I want to see that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cedec0 said:

Unlikeable, badly written women are bad.

From what I heard, PWB steals from Indie, tells police to shoot indie, and punches him unconscious.  Why would I want to see that?

Disregarding that I'm sure those moments make sense in context, I don't see why this is a problem? Like why is Indiana Jones not allowed to deal with conflict or fight against his partner? Partners squabbling and trying to fight one another isn't an uncommon story trope. Who cares?

6 minutes ago, Eric Jones said:

Disregarding that I'm sure those moments make sense in context, I don't see why this is a problem? Like why is Indiana Jones not allowed to deal with conflict or fight against his partner? Partners squabbling and trying to fight one another isn't an uncommon story trope. Who cares?

It's also common place for Indy films. He squabbles with all of his partners, and he has like, actual beef with PWB's character in the film and portrays him as in the right for like 95% of the film. If anything, I applaud Dial of Destiny for having a female character that's actually meant to be somewhat unlikable at first and then grows over the course of the film into a more heroic figure. Obviously the execution isn't working for some people but I found it refreshing amongst a sea of male and female characters who tend to remain static.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Eric Jones said:

Bullying an eighty year old man isn't the way to make a character endearing, especially when he's so beloved.

50 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I have brought this up before, but there has never been a period in Disney history where their animation department struggling hasn’t led to a huge downturn/rough time for the whole company. Quite literally never. That’s always a harbinger for them. 

Your MCU stuff doesn’t add up either, since the only ones that have been a true success for them since EG are No Way Home, Shang Chi, and Guardians. 2/3 are the era ending I was talking about, and Guardians wouldn’t have been a hit at all if it didn’t have some insane WOM. Proving how damaged MCU really is.  

You are very much delusional if you think all their mcu films from last year weren't very much profitable whether they met expectations or not

Edited by JustLurking

4 minutes ago, cedec0 said:

Bullying an eighty year old man isn't the way to make a character endearing, especially when he's so beloved.

Dude, he's not real lmao. If somebody can't handle a fictional character in a kids movie getting "bullied", then that's kinda sad IMO. And honestly, if a movie character is only allowed to be idolized and never criticized on the basis that they are "beloved", then that sounds like a pretty boring movie.

18 minutes ago, Eric Jones said:

The problem is she's morally terrible person in the first half and yet we are supposed to root for her despite her not having likable anti-hero traits, it's almost like if the movie tries to push Raiders of the Lost Ark bad guys as good guys. Mangold tries to redeem her in the second half, but I don't think it fully works. A lot of weird choices that don't really connect.

Edited by TomThomas