Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I mean, I know folks will disagree, but I feel like Disney is aware of this, and while I'm sure they're disappointed this film isn't making as much as they'd like, they're still playing the long game.

In regard to audiences and not critics, Elemental got good WOM, The Little Mermaid got good WOM, and even Indy is getting good WOM. And they'll end up going to Disney+ where people will talk about how they were all better than expected, and it'll be a positive for the streaming service.

Meanwhile, the cast for the live action Lilo & Stitch was finalized and the Bambi realistic CG remake got greenlit and has a director. At the very least, why would they announce the latter at the same time as the internet is freaking out over TLM? Maybe because it doesn't matter.

All the pontification here, and nothing is changing. Hell, Greta Gerwig is going over to Netflix for two Narnia adaptations, so no matter how well Barbie does, Gerwig is moving to streaming, at least for a little while.

Which is a crazy move but expected anyway. People hoping that Netflix would be out of the game will need to come to terms that they are not going away anytime soon. Streaming as THE source for people watching films is unfortunately our reality now. And they have the big directors to back that up.

11 minutes ago, grim22 said:

While we are discussing random crossovers, how about that time Han Solo crash landed in Earth and his body was discovered centuries later by Indiana Jones and it's implied that Chewy is actually the Bigfoot legend 

swtaleslastpage.jpg

This is what I am talking about! Silly yet clever. 

Just now, abracadabra1998 said:

All of these went up, stronger Sunday than expected

Empire reported hours ago that Indy was up by about a million on sunday. I promise this is the last time I will say this but for those who haven't read the entire thread, July 1st is Canada Day which fell on a saturday. Most of the country is closed today which means Sunday numbers would have been stronger. Nobody has to go to work today or very few people have to go to work today so we all had more time to go see a movie on sunday. That should inflate the numbers by about 5-7%.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I meant for it's total run.

$80M~$90M I think

OS dipped just 26% ($6.5M)

The best holds were seen in Netherlands (+23%), Germany (+16%), Belgium (+12%), Australia (-23%), UK (-24%), Italy (-25%), and Hong Kong (-28%)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

The budget for this is automatically going to make it a complete disaster and the international numbers coming in are not doing any favors either. I do think down the road this movie will be looked upon favorably and I think a lot of those people that have avoided the film due to critics will eventually see it on Disney or some other streaming platform and probably end up enjoying it.

I remember people saying the same about TLJ.

2 hours ago, Eric Jones said:

Not really? Reception and WOM isn't very good for Indy, so it likely wouldn't have done much on those holidays anyways (plus it still had Spider-Verse and Transformers and Flash), and Little Mermaid, while not having Aladdin late legs, is still holding super strong, which it likely wouldn't if it didn't have the whole summer to play. Plus Barbie would be much closer to its release date and damage it. They made the right call IMO.

The only swap that maybe makes sense was Indy for FD weekend and Elemental for this weekend (and ATSV probably goes there rather than June 2nd). But Mermaid and Elemental couldn’t be 2 weeks apart, too much overlap 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I mean, I know folks will disagree, but I feel like Disney is aware of this, and while I'm sure they're disappointed this film isn't making as much as they'd like, they're still playing the long game.

In regard to audiences and not critics, Elemental got good WOM, The Little Mermaid got good WOM, and even Indy is getting good WOM. And they'll end up going to Disney+ where people will talk about how they were all better than expected, and it'll be a positive for the streaming service.

Meanwhile, the cast for the live action Lilo & Stitch was finalized and the Bambi realistic CG remake got greenlit and has a director. At the very least, why would they announce the latter at the same time as the internet is freaking out over TLM? Maybe because it doesn't matter.

All the pontification here, and nothing is changing. Hell, Greta Gerwig is going over to Netflix for two Narnia adaptations, so no matter how well Barbie does, Gerwig is moving to streaming, at least for a little while.

I get what you’re saying but it’s not like those who think ‘I’ll wait for Disney plus’ would have said that before the service. They’d have gone to the theatre and they’re the problem that Disney has caused for themselves. It’s no good those people ultimately watching it for nothing in a couple of months and saying ‘that was better than I expected’. You need them to pay for the movies!!

Spending hundreds of millions on individual films and then have them lose money because you’re giving them to audiences for free too soon has not and will never make any business sense. I think Disney know this and they’re trying to undo it slowly.  Far too slowly in my opinion, whilst the likes of Jurassic Dominion and Mario clean up by fortunately not being tied to a successful (in terms of subscriber numbers/not actual profit) service. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kon said:

I remember people saying the same about TLJ.

Well I wasn't one of them I hated that stupid movie. And I don't remember it having an 88% approval rating from people who have seen it.

33 minutes ago, baumer said:

Empire reported hours ago that Indy was up by about a million on sunday. I promise this is the last time I will say this but for those who haven't read the entire thread, July 1st is Canada Day which fell on a saturday. Most of the country is closed today which means Sunday numbers would have been stronger. Nobody has to go to work today or very few people have to go to work today so we all had more time to go see a movie on sunday. That should inflate the numbers by about 5-7%.

In the US it's a 5-day holiday weekend for most people (due to 4th of July falling on a Tuesday), which means drops will be rather light across the board. Sunday was essentially a second Saturday for all movies, and today and tomorrow will behave like Sundays as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, baumer said:

Well I wasn't one of them I hated that stupid movie. And I don't remember it having an 88% approval rating from people who have seen it.

When TLJ was released, RT Audience Reviews didn't need to be verified by showing a ticket. Also, I suspect the review bombing TLJ suffered was one of the reasons why RT changed the model.

I'm pretty sure DoD wouldn't have 88% in RT Audiences if any person could vote.

Edited by Kon

8 minutes ago, Kon said:

When TLJ was released, RT Audience Reviews didn't need to be verified by showing a ticket. Also, I suspect the review bombing TLJ suffered was one of the reasons why RT changed the model.

I'm pretty sure DoD wouldn't have 88% in RT Audiences if any person could vote.

Switch to all audience and DoD is 80% which is bad and it has a B+ Cinemascore which is also bad.

It's just appealing to older people a lot because of nostalgia, the younger audiences don't seem to care.

37 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

They’d have gone to the theatre and they’re the problem that Disney has caused for themselves.

And I'm saying this isn't a problem for Disney. This is the endgame!

If Disney+ didn't exist, I would still wait for VOD/Redbox. So would audiences, especially when Redbox costs $2.25, and VOD goes down to $6.00.