Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

29 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I'm making a blanket statement because it is unequivocally true. The olds are liking Indiana Jones and younger people aren't - posttrak numbers being used, literally no editorializing, just numbers as people say

The older Dial of Destiny‘s audience gets, the better the grades with the 45-55 sect (19% turnout) giving it 83% and the over 55 people (at 23%) giving it 89%

So from that we can infer that the younger than 45 set gave it 65%. It's pretty much a nostalgia play that isn't working outside the people old enough to remember the nostalgia.

Edit: also adding this

problem with Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny is that there were no efforts here to cast-it-up and make it appealing to an under-40, diverse crowd, like Paramount did with Top Gun: Maverick..This is evident in the B- that Dial of Destiny received from 18-24 moviegoers. Disney reports that 42% of the audience was under 35 for Dial of Destiny.

You just proved my point for me. 

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

See, I’m not even sure if that’s the case. We just had Elemental opening very mid and it’s going pretty leggy. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny could very well be 10 years too late, but I feel like comparing this to a disaster like The Flash with the whole July 4th week ahead precipitated.

I miss when conversation here seemed less hardcore franchise wars non-sense and people were able to give context to things. I feel like younger audiences could still connect with the film, either throughout the Summer or at home. It’s a very different landscape that this film is getting released compared to Crystal Skull. We know how films like Indiana Jones do get review bombed. We can see here on the message board and social media, quite easily. Denying it happens it’s just trying to angle for something to fit a narrative. Verified Score isn’t perfect, but it’s the best we got and we can’t really tell if it’s only "old people" enjoying it. 

I feel like for a box office message board enthusiasts, some here try too hard to box up social media narratives and don’t put much into giving context to things, which dumbs down the conversation and then becomes Disgruntled Competition fan attacking x Disney movie for reasons and it’s incredibly boring to me. Sometimes you just need to call out a bad faith post and call it what it is. 

Ok, let's set aside the Verified Score because it's review bombed.

Let's just take pure numbers then, numbers from audiences polled leaving the theater. The numbers are

B+ Cinemascore with 18-24 giving it B-

79% Posttrak recommend with over 55 giving it 89% and 45-55 giving it 83% which means under 45 is 65-67%

You just refuse to admit it's only older audiences liking it because it's a franchise you like versus Flash being in a franchise you don't like. At least own up to your biases and the fact that the 2 movies receptions and box office are very comparable instead of hiding behind "review bombing"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, grim22 said:

Let's just take pure numbers then, numbers from audiences polled leaving the theater. The numbers are

79% Posttrak recommend with over 55 giving it 89% and 45-55 giving it 83% which means under 45 is 65-67%

You just refuse to admit it's only older audiences liking it because it's a franchise you like versus Flash being in a franchise you don't like. At least own up to your biases and the fact that the 2 movies receptions and box office are very comparable instead of hiding behind "review bombing"

Dude, you were a mod here. Out of respect, please, let’s not ignore that review bombing and the reasonings of why some films get review bombed over others. This is yes about you treating box office threads like a fucking franchise wars thread. You are hardly the only one though, but it’s a thing that this message board just got worse at it throughout the years. 

What you are doing dumbs down the conversation. My biases are enjoying good films. Period. I love superhero films and I’ve been accused for like one decade of being a Marvel fanboy when anyone that has followed my posts enough know that I’m a fan of the superhero genre, either Marvel or DC, just like I am a fan of good ol’ blockbusters, like Indiana Jones. Of course that there is nostalgia attached to my interest following this film’s box office. I’m just pointing out that you can’t say this because you can’t really tell what’s the age range of those on the Verified audience on RT, which covers an way bigger sample size than either CinemaScore or Posttrak. 

We are reunited here doing some sort of autopsy of "What went wrong with Dial of Destiny" when it’s July 3rd. It’s like we didn’t see it happening with Elemental or other old school franchises developing in the past. I don’t want to be ‘right’, what I’m saying is that there is a lot of hyperbole and definitive statements thrown around this film, and it’s not even July 4th yet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

See, I’m not even sure if that’s the case. We just had Elemental opening very mid and it’s going pretty leggy. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny could very well be 10 years too late, but I feel like comparing this to a disaster like The Flash with the whole July 4th week ahead precipitated.

I miss when conversation here seemed less hardcore franchise wars non-sense and people were able to give context to things. I feel like younger audiences could still connect with the film, either throughout the Summer or at home. It’s a very different landscape that this film is getting released compared to Crystal Skull. We know how films like Indiana Jones do get review bombed. We can see here on the message board and social media, quite easily. Denying it happens it’s just trying to angle for something to fit a narrative. Verified Score isn’t perfect, but it’s the best we got and we can’t really tell if it’s only "old people" enjoying it. 

I feel like for a box office message board enthusiasts, some here try too hard to box up social media narratives and don’t put much into giving context to things, which dumbs down the conversation and then becomes Disgruntled Competition fan attacking x Disney movie for reasons and it’s incredibly boring to me. Sometimes you just need to call out a bad faith post and call it what it is. 

We don't need you to be sure or to do some complex RT reads. We already know through post trak that younger audiences rated it poorly.

The fact that it's an old skewing film means it won't leg as badly as the flash, sure (and just in general it's hard to leg as bad as flash anyway; it will have a higher BO tally), but it also carries a higher price tag than flash. It's a bomb just the same. 4th of july weekend is not a thing overseas as well where it did horrendously.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, grim22 said:

it’s more the absolute of the way you’re putting it, but I get your point for sure. 

I’m sure plenty of younger audiences like the movie, but you’re certainly more likely to resonate with it if you’re much older - it’s aimed at this crowd.  Even Mangold has spoken about this. 

to say ‘only older audiences are liking it’ simply isn’t true. They’re more likely to like it, more a fair assessment. 

• Thanks 1

at least the final number is over $60 million. Even if they did have to ‘borrow’ a bit (who knows!). 
Very interested to see where it’s at come the end of Thursday.  

It could well surprise and have a decent hold this weekend. There’s nothing to suggest anything remotely frontloaded so far, although it’s early days. 

Edited by wildphantom

5 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Dude, you were a mod here. Out of respect, please, let’s not ignore that review bombing and the reasonings of why some films get review bombed over others. This is yes about you treating box office threads like a fucking franchise wars thread. You are hardly the only one though, but it’s a thing that this message board just got worse at it throughout the years. 

What you are doing dumbs down the conversation. My biases are enjoying good films. Period. I love superhero films and I’ve been accused for like one decade of being a Marvel fanboy when anyone that has followed my posts enough know that I’m a fan of the superhero genre, either Marvel or DC, just like I am a fan of good ol’ blockbusters, like Indiana Jones. Of course that there is nostalgia attached to my interest following this film’s box office. I’m just pointing out that you can’t say this because you can’t really tell what’s the age range of those on the Verified audience on RT, which covers an way bigger sample size than either CinemaScore or Posttrak. 

We are reunited here doing some sort of autopsy of "What went wrong with Dial of Destiny" when it’s July 3rd. It’s like we didn’t see it happening with Elemental or other old school franchises developing in the past. I don’t want to be ‘right’, what I’m saying is that there is a lot of hyperbole and definitive statements thrown around this film, and it’s not even July 4th yet.

If we can't call a bomb a bomb, what even are we doing here? It's bombing in the US and it's not like it did better OS where it bombed again.

And I don't doubt for one second you wouldn't be calling a different movie, let's say it was named Batman V Superman a bomb with the exact same starts as IJ5 even with July 4th to come. Let's not even pretend like that wouldn't happen, we know that because you made those weekend threads unreadable.

So spare us the overly sanctimonious posts unless you are willing to give every movie the same treatment instead of rushing to call things a bomb. It's not only reserved for when it's a movie in a franchise you like.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

If we can't call a bomb a bomb, what even are we doing here? It's bombing in the US and it's not like it did better OS where it bombed again.

And I don't doubt for one second you wouldn't be calling a different movie, let's say it was named Batman V Superman a bomb with the exact same starts as IJ5 even with July 4th to come. Let's not even pretend like that wouldn't happen, we know that because you made those weekend threads unreadable.

So spare us the overly sanctimonious posts unless you are willing to give every movie the same treatment instead of rushing to call things a bomb. It's not only reserved for when it's a movie in a franchise you like.

It’s clearly personal to you, while for me it isn’t really. You just wrote a whole paragraph about me calling something a bomb when I’m pretty sure that I wasn’t one of those doing this with The Flash.

If this is about Batman v Superman, I’m glad that you make it obvious. That way everyone can see what this truly is about, which amuses me. 

jay-and-silent-bob-ben-affleck.gif

Which kinda proves my point that franchise wars bullshit muddles and poisons good box office conversation. But now that you flat out said it I don’t need to point that out so uhh, thanks?

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

It’s clearly personal to you, while for me it isn’t really. You just wrote a whole paragraph about me calling something a bomb when I’m pretty sure that I wasn’t one of those doing this with The Flash.

If this is about Batman v Superman, I’m glad that you make it obvious. That way everyone can see what this truly is about, which amuses me. 

jay-and-silent-bob-ben-affleck.gif

Which kinda proves my point that franchise wars bullshit muddles and poisons good box office conversation. But now that you flat out said it I don’t need to point that out so uhh, thanks?

It's not about BvS, it's about you who started making weekend threads about franchise wars pretending to be offended that people would call Indiana Jones 5 a bomb when it is one.

But then again, you have never shown self awareness ever, so why start now.

Just now, grim22 said:

It's not about BvS, it's about you who started making weekend threads about franchise wars pretending to be offended that people would call Indiana Jones 5 a bomb when it is one.

But then again, you have never shown self awareness ever, so why start now.

I don’t even know what to say. Clearly, you have some personal grudge going here and I feel weirded out.

Think Mad Men GIF

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t even know what to say. Clearly, you have some personal grudge going here and I feel weirded out.

Think Mad Men GIF

You do know in that gif you posted, he's lying and actually thinks about the character all the time? Maybe start understanding context.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Runaway Bride took 19 days to reach $100 million. Flash will beat it by one day, proving he’s not the slowest speedster on the map. 

A win is a win!

tove styrke run GIF

Julia’s legs were much longer though, Flash ain’t going to touch 152 domestic total.

Also, kind of miss the days when these romantic comedies would have huge summer hits.

• Like 1