CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

One thing I did notice in the credits that kind of blew me away a little bit was that there was four producers on the film and they were all pretty much who's who and low budget horror movies. James Wan, Oren Peli, Jason Blum and Leigh Whanell.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

Same here. Or Ferguson. Or Klementieff. Or Kirby. God I love women.

Whatever people wanna say about Tom Cruise he does not screw over his leading ladies. The Mission women mentioned and  even the one and done ones like Paula Patton and Maggie Q or Emily Blunt from Edge Of Tomorrow. 

• Like 2

I saw the trailer for Kraven the Hunter and I had no idea it was associated with Marvel but that one looks really good to me. I love the fact that the main character, the superhero I guess, as a kinship and a connection with animals. And there were several people who cheered and clapped at the end of the trailer. I've never heard of Kraven the hunter but obviously many other people have. Looking forward to seeing that one.

• ...wtf 3

8 minutes ago, Algebra said:

Airport scene and Rome chase were bangers...the chemistry between Atwell and Cruise was off the charts. Legit thought they'd drop the whole mission and get down to business

Wow.  Trying to think about the last time Tom had sexual chemistry on screen - might be way back to Risky Business - and Rebecca de Mornay supplied the heat.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

It's pretty clear action thrillers and Mission Impossible has a ceiling. Feel like people are going to fall into the same trap for DR2 that they did for DR1. Unless China makes a major comeback in 2025, I don't see DR2 getting anywhere close to $900M+

If DR2 manages somehow to have the same quality and simplistic storytelling (this is the hardest part tbh) of TGM, I can definitely see it happening.

The nostalgia element if Top Gun was definitely overblown considering how poorly The Flash and Indy5 did.

What's holding DR1 back is that it's incredibly convoluted and has very little action. However DR2 ends on a great note to set up a simple chase plot and there should be a heck of a lot more action

1 minute ago, Algebra said:

If DR2 manages somehow to have the same quality and simplistic storytelling (this is the hardest part tbh) of TGM, I can definitely see it happening.

The nostalgia element if Top Gun was definitely overblown considering how poorly The Flash and Indy5 did.

What's holding DR1 back is that it's incredibly convoluted and has very little action. However DR2 ends on a great note to set up a simple chase plot and there should be a heck of a lot more action

There's no huge nostalgia for The Flash - and any one wanting him got their fix weekly for 7 or so years on TV.  Indy's big nostalgia pull was for Crystal Skull.

Top Gun Maverick was about nostalgia + rah rah America + fighter jets.  I didn't have any nostalgia for it, thought the first was cheesy - which is why probably I did not love it like many.  His MI movies are infinitely superior.

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Wow.  Trying to think about the last time Tom had sexual chemistry on screen - might be way back to Risky Business - and Rebecca de Mornay supplied the heat.

Emily Blunt in Edge of Tomorrow

Rebecca Ferguson and now Hayley Atwell

Definitely has a thing for European brunettes

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, Algebra said:

Emily Blunt in Edge of Tomorrow

Rebecca Ferguson and now Hayley Atwell

Definitely has a thing for European brunettes

Rebecca I might agree with - at least in her first film.  He had chemistry with Emily but it didn't seem very sexual - more buddy buddy.

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

There's no huge nostalgia for The Flash - and any one wanting him got their fix weekly for 7 or so years on TV.  Indy's big nostalgia pull was for Crystal Skull.

Top Gun Maverick was about nostalgia + rah rah America + fighter jets.  I didn't have any nostalgia for it, thought the first was cheesy - which is why probably I did not love it like many.  His MI movies are infinitely superior.

Even if you completely ignore the US box office for TGM...the fact that it made $780m internationally and blew up in Asia and Europe is mind boggling.

Domestically, there's nostalgia and Americana at ppay but what makes its ru  so great overseas is a combination of starpower + simple storyline + incredible action. MI movies only have two of these.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Whatever people wanna say about Tom Cruise he does not screw over his leading ladies. The Mission women mentioned and  even the one and done ones like Paula Patton and Maggie Q or Emily Blunt from Edge Of Tomorrow. 

He's very generous with them -  younger good looking actors not so much.   One and done if they even make out of the pre-credits (still mourning the loss of Josh Halloway).

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Algebra said:

Not trying to pick a fight here but I feel like people complaining this does not have much action are the same people who complained the Batman did not have much action. it's we like are watching different movies or something. 

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Rebecca I might agree with - at least in her first film.  He had chemistry with Emily but it didn't seem very sexual - more buddy buddy.

Rebecca was ferocious with him in RN. And I also like how as their relationship progressed, they communicate more through expressions than dialogue. Great acting by both

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

Not trying to pick a fight here but I feel like people complaining this does not have much action are the same people who complained the Batman did not have much action. it's we like are watching different movies or something. 

I was rolling my eyes when I was reading the negative reviews about the action lacking, before watching the film. It's the only franchise I love.

I can't believe I agree with them. But Mcquarries says multiple times DR1 is the setup and DR2 is the payoff...so I'm ready to get my socks blown off

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Emily-Blunt-1426774716.gif?quality=.8&he

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, baumer said:

One thing I did notice in the credits that kind of blew me away a little bit was that there was four producers on the film and they were all pretty much who's who and low budget horror movies. James Wan, Oren Peli, Jason Blum and Leigh Whanell.

Trying to get more into horror, what should I start with?

(some classics I have seen: The Shining, Evil Dead, Blair Witch Project, Paranormal Activity)

38 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Really think it has the juice to get to 200m?

160m+ I could see and would be on the train for, just not sure it can make it to that uber upper level (as if making it to 160m wouldn't already be a crazy total.)

Sure, I mean:

Sat 10.5

Sun 9.5 //86

4 // 104

That’s with a 45M wk so say it drops 40% to barbenhiemer ( 27// 131) and then 30% from there adds 63 for 194. Wouldn’t be surprised to see any of those nums beat.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

That's not sexual chemistry though that's just Emily being sexy all on her own.

True I was just looking for a reason to post that gif.

• Like 1