kayumanggi

Weekday Numbers | Jul 17 - 20 | Wednesday | 4.74M M:I - DEAD RECKONING I | 4.72M SOUND OF FREEDOM

37 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Any 

It's not the first movie targeting a certain and "forgotten" crowd that breaks out. Every now and then there are those faith based movies that score alongside the mainstream. 

Any idea though, why tuesdays don't do much for the movie?

Might it be due to it playing exceptionally well in rural areas outside of chains with no cheap tuesday?

Cinemark also has the "old person deal" Monday as a chain...so it has a higher Monday that most, and can't go much higher Tuesday..,

And those folks also don't want to endure mob scenes, so they tend to avoid Tuesdays...and Fridays usually (although less so)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

All right trivia question for you guys. Since we know sound of freedom is a word of mouth monster, let's take a look at perhaps the all-time biggest word of mouth monster, that being Titanic.

Titanic's opening day was 8.6 million.

It's second day which was a Saturday was 10.6 million. That was not its highest grossing day though. Without looking it up and within half a million dollars, can you tell me what the amount was for its highest grossing day, and how many days approximately it was into its run?

Only thing I know off the top of my head is that it was Valentine's Day of 1998. 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

Good guesses by both of you both are wrong and Chip is closer .... Both of you are wrong on the days as well. It's higher than 45 days

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

10 minutes ago, baumer said:

All right trivia question for you guys. Since we know sound of freedom is a word of mouth monster, let's take a look at perhaps the all-time biggest word of mouth monster, that being Titanic.

It's second day which was a Saturday was 10.6 million. That was not its highest grossing day though. Without looking it up and within half a million dollars, can you tell me what the amount was for its highest grossing day, and how many days approximately it was into its run?

I believe its highest-grossing day was Valentine's Day, so probably 55 days into its run. No idea on the gross though, maybe $16M?

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Only thing I know off the top of my head is that it was Valentine's Day of 1998. 

You're Bang on. No you guys should be able to figure out how many days in that is and it's lower than chips guess of 15.6 million

2 minutes ago, deniima said:

I believe its highest-grossing day was Valentine's Day, so probably 55 days into its run. No idea on the gross though, maybe $16M?

Valentine's Day is correct, close enough on the 55 days it was 58 and it's lower than 16 million

The correct amount is 13.049 million. Of significance this was also during the Nagano Olympics where people obviously had other things to do than go to the movies. But it didn't seem to matter, Titanic was just a juggernaut that wasn't going to be stopped.

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Valentine's Day is correct, close enough on the 55 days it was 58 and it's lower than 16 million

The correct amount is 13.049 million. Of significance this was also during the Nagano Olympics where people obviously had other things to do than go to the movies. But it didn't seem to matter, Titanic was just a juggernaut that wasn't going to be stopped.

A run that will never be topped. Incredible.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

It really is and I'm not too old to still remember following Titanic's run 25 years ago on box office guru. I don't know if he still has his archives up but if he does he should definitely go read them. The day it hits 600 million he had this amazingly beautiful right up about it

• Heart 1

• Founder / Operator

Sound of Freedom is a beast. For fellow oldies like me, it's up there with an "out of left field surprise" like My Big Fat Greek Wedding. This admittedly was not on my radar, not on this level anyway.

• Like 7
  • Heart 1

1 minute ago, Shawn said:

Sound of Freedom is a beast. For fellow oldies like me, it's up there with an "out of left field surprise" like My Big Fat Greek Wedding. This admittedly was not on my radar, not on this level anyway.

Buddy I don't think it was on anyone's radar because it had no budget for marketing. There was no television commercials no billboards not even radio. I don't think anybody had heard of this film three days before it was coming out. I had only heard of it because of some of the people I follow on Twitter and yet even I only heard of it probably a week or 10 days beforehand. I thought maybe if it hits the zeitgeist It could do 20 or 30 million LOL it might end up doing 10 times my low prediction.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Last year I put together a weekly chart for Titanic with 2022 ticket prices and it's hilarious. Even after piling up over $800M in the first 10 weeks, it was still making $30-50M per week for Weeks 11 to 16. It did not drop below $20M until Week 18. LOL 

2023-07-19-18-03-04.jpg

• Like 2
  • Astonished 2

You guys should really have a look at that link I provided where Guru recaps Titanic's magical run to 600 million. It's such a great recap of what the film did and how it captured a worldwide audience

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Shawn said:

When I was in my early late teens and had no money that My Fat Greek Wedding ticket stub was very handy. I could flash it to to ticket taker and they didn't blink... For months and months. I used it to see A LOT of movies not named My Big Fat Greek Wedding because that run just went on and on and on. 

Not like those runs but I remember Something About Mary having an insane run of its own too.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

When I was in my early late teens and had no money that My Fat Greek Wedding ticket stub was very handy. I could flash it to to ticket taker and they didn't blink... For months and months. I used it to see A LOT of movies not named My Big Fat Greek Wedding because that run just went on and on and on. 

Not like those runs but I remember Something About Mary having an insane run of its own too.

I think I just discovered my kindred spirit 🤫

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, baumer said:

Oooo I think I know this! I’ve studied Titanic’s run soooo closely (probably just my regret not being around to actually follow its run back in 97/98).

I think it was something like 13M on its 23rd day.

22 minutes ago, baumer said:

You guys should really have a look at that link I provided where Guru recaps Titanic's magical run to 600 million. It's such a great recap of what the film did and how it captured a worldwide audience

I had a coworker who was a single lady in her 60s. She went to a matinee showing every Saturday for over 20 weeks.  With the senior discount special she was spending about $5 for the movie, small soda and small popcorn.  That was a great value for 3+ hrs on an afternoon. 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

It was Valentine’s Day Saturday, right? That would have been day like 65 (?) and like $15M (???)

edit: see answer has already been given, and I was off on both 

Edited by M37