kayumanggi

Weekday Numbers | Jul 17 - 20 | Wednesday | 4.74M M:I - DEAD RECKONING I | 4.72M SOUND OF FREEDOM

1 minute ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

So, Sound of Freedom might end up beating the domestic grosses of Scream VI, Indy 5, Flash, John Wick 4and perhaps even Mission Impossible 7?

@Deep Wang said this about a week ago. I didn't even think it was possible the time but he said that it'll probably finish number five for the summer ahead of all those films that you just mentioned.

• Like 2

The fact that the newest installments  in the 2 most consistently great ongoing  action franchises are  going to make less domestically than a 5 year old movie that nobody had heard of 3 weeks ago is like some weird fever dream.

• Like 1

Tracking Sound of Freedom is bringing me so much joy. It reminds me of the great runs of the past, outside of Titanic/Avatar. Along the vein of Sixth Sense, Greatest Showman, etc. 

The marketing team was hitting my church/conservative circles hard....like HARD but I didn't think it would breakout like this. 

Could it beat MI7 next weekend?? It's more immune to Barbenheimer's impact I would think.

Edited by lilmac
  • Like 4

I would get more enjoyment out of tracking Sound of Freedom if I didn't think it's message is dangerous and think it looks completely manipulative and cheap, but I'll admit it is interesting to watch a movie get Titanic like legs in the modern era. Kinda dreading it coming over to Australia which I'm sure is gonna happen eventually. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

21 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

There's no way SoF is an oscar player.

There is no way you can say it isn't. I'm not saying it will land a BP, but you certainly can't rule out. A small studio film making 175m+ box office. Good reviews, great audience score, strong lead. If it was an A24 film, BP would be a lock.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

1 minute ago, The Dark Alfred said:

There is no way you can say it isn't. I'm not saying it will land a BP, but you certainly can't rule out. 

yeah in the sense I could win the lottery but we know which things are likely.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

There is no way you can say it isn't. I'm not saying it will land a BP, but you certainly can't rule out. 

Even excluding the fact that the film has just decent reviews on rt and sub-50 metacritic (which already makes it unlikely but we've seen it happen i.e. BoRap), you can't seriously think the Academy will nominate a film that was marketed saying they "tried to hide it" and with its lead actor saying that hollywood is populated by people kidnapping children to harvest adrenochrome.

Yeah, I am pretty confident I can rule it out.

2 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Probably. That doesn't mean it's not in the conversation. I can totally see a PGA nom.

Getting a PGA nom is probably even more unlikely than Oscar nom. Less members and more Hollywood. SoF is being championed by people who hate Hollywood