kayumanggi

Weekday Numbers | Jul 17 - 20 | Wednesday | 4.74M M:I - DEAD RECKONING I | 4.72M SOUND OF FREEDOM

I know every one of us is prone to do this from time to time including myself, but nobody thought Paramount made any kind of scheduling snafu before the picture came out. Now all of a sudden it's not getting the top gun Spike that a lot of people thought it would and now we're all armchair quarterbacks saying that Paramount fucked up. Summer is the most lucrative time of the year for movies. Every year movies have to compete with one another in the summertime for those summer time dollars. Paramount didn't fuck up. Maybe the mission impossible series is doing exactly what it should be doing. It's always easy to criticize after the fact. But where were you armchair quarterbacks before the movie opened up? 🤷🤷

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

It ruins nothing. Great weekend ahead. DR is actually the best reviewed film out of the lot. The release date just wasn't right in the US and China. Across the globe it is doing very well.

I was about to say that. Gonna focus on it's INT numbers. This has always been a much bigger franchise OS than domestically. Bond is the same way. Domestic audiences for whatever reason are not  that big into Spy action movies. 

The SoF wave they couldn't see it coming. Without it we probably seeing FALLOUT figures. The release date was a known problem months before Barbenheimer blew up. We knew that Nolan will get exclusive IMAX and PLF treatment. That's why Cruise was so pissed off having only a week or so in large screens. Maybe they thought Universal will move it. Hindsight Paramount should have moved the film to August when MARVELS got moved.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

I know every one of us is prone to do this from time to time including myself, but nobody thought Paramount made any kind of scheduling snafu before the picture came out. Now all of a sudden it's not getting the top gun Spike that a lot of people thought it would and now we're all armchair quarterbacks saying that Paramount fucked up. Summer is the most lucrative time of the year for movies. Every year movies have to compete with one another in the summertime for those summer time dollars. Paramount didn't fuck up. Maybe the mission impossible series is doing exactly what it should be doing. It's always easy to criticize after the fact. But where were you armchair quarterbacks before the movie opened up? 🤷🤷

Plenty of people said the date was bad before release, it's been obvious for a while, as soon as oppenheimer/barbie buzz started to get more palpable it became clear that MI had put itself in an awkward spot.

18 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

It ruins nothing. Great weekend ahead. DR is actually the best reviewed film out of the lot. The release date just wasn't right in the US and China. Across the globe it is doing very well.

I expect Barbenheimer to hurt it overseas too though. Hell Oppenheimer is breaking out in Asia I believe 

Edited by John Marston

7 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Plenty of people said the date was bad before release, it's been obvious for a while, as soon as oppenheimer/barbie buzz started to get more palpable it became clear that MI had put itself in an awkward spot.

The issue is the summer was pretty full.

It isn't so weird that Paramount believed Indy5 will be a bigger a threat than Oppenheimer/Barbie. Even when Barbie started to look so big, it was a pretty different audience from MI7.

Also, Paramount could have never imagined SOF will affect MI7 so much.

• Like 1

Just now, Kon said:

The issue is the summer was pretty full.

It isn't so weird that Paramount believed Indy5 will be a bigger a threat than Oppenheimer/Barbie. Even when Barbie started to look so big, it was a pretty different audience from MI7.

Also, Paramount could have never imagined SOF will affect MI7 so much.

It's still a mistake even if there were some unforeseeable circumstances to explain why it was made, MI would've been better off in august after all.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Yeah but when mission Impossible secured that date and had no idea at the time that Barbie was going to be as big as it was 

Then again some of you guys are acting like Summers have never been packed before. As far back as I've been following the box office which is probably mid 80s maybe late 80s the summer has always been packed.

11 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

The SoF wave they couldn't see it coming. Without it we probably seeing FALLOUT figures. The release date was a known problem months before Barbenheimer blew up. We knew that Nolan will get exclusive IMAX and PLF treatment. That's why Cruise was so pissed off having only a week or so in large screens. Maybe they thought Universal will move it. Hindsight Paramount should have moved the film to August when MARVELS got moved.

Hell considering how much of a disaster Aquaman 2 is looking like maybe they should have released it at christmas. They should just pull it from theaters now not put it on P+ and bluray and re release it then. Only joking but we as baumer said we can armchair qb all day long. It is what it is. DR Part 2 will get a much better release date. Probably Nov 24 i would guess. I dont  think it will make the June 28th date unless the strike ends no later than mid september or October. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Hell considering how much of a disaster Aquaman 2 is looking like maybe they should have released it at christmas. They should just pull it from theaters now not put it on P+ and bluray and re release it then. Only joking but we as baumer said we can armchair qb all day long. It is what it is. DR Part 2 will get a much better release date. Probably Nov 24 i would guess. I dont  think it will make the June 28th date unless the strike ends no later than mid september or October. 

I wonder if Cruise had a say in release dates or if Paramount just wanted another summer blockbuster. I suspect they couldn't sit on the movie any longer.

4 minutes ago, deniima said:

Freedom has prevailed 

In spite of their claims that they beat Indiana Jones on its first Tuesday I think it was, which we all know is bullshit, this is their first legitimate day at number one.

10 minutes ago, baumer said:

In spite of their claims that they beat Indiana Jones on its first Tuesday I think it was, which we all know is bullshit, this is their first legitimate day at number one.

July 10th & 11th SOF was #1 too 

• Astonished 1