The Wild Eric

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I thought Flower Moon was coming to Apple TV+ very soon after its theatrical release. Or is the window now much longer? If it’s a matter of weeks I can’t see it putting up anything close to $150 million 

It’s supposed to be getting a full window at least 45 days. Will probably be on Apple TV around the holidays I’d bet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, harrisonisdead said:

For those who were wondering about the PLF allocation for Barbie.

Exactly. Let's not try and rewrite this weekend into some kind of underdog story where the 150 million movie with a ton of showtimes and a non-insignificant number of PLFs managed to triumph. The numbers are crazy enough has they are, no need to try and oversell the performance.

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I thought Flower Moon was coming to Apple TV+ very soon after its theatrical release. Or is the window now much longer? If it’s a matter of weeks I can’t see it putting up anything close to $150 million 

I think Paramount and Apple will keep in theatrical for as long as possible. Even Amazon kept Air in theatrical for a good amount on time. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Tarintino if were speaking globally, 

426.1M DJANGO UNCHAINED

377.6M ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD

321.5M INGLORIOUS BASTERDS

180.9M KILL BILL: VOL. 1

161.2M THE HATEFUL EIGHT

154.1M KILL BILL: VOL 2

Okay numbers, but not really consistently big.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, M37 said:

The draw is as much the PLF/big screen experience, and while a director like Nolan (or Peele) can bring their own cache to the project, it’s not necessary to have them to get the GA interested. If the film has the goods, audiences will show up 

This is simply not true. If Spielberg directed this with the same cast, it wouldn't even make 20 mln OW in this day and age. Nolan is a massive draw, we already have many examples that audiences won't show up just because the movie is good and big screen experience, it's not enough.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Like 3

Clearly I struck a nerve here, but my broader point is that I just don’t believe a director moves the needle among the GA anywhere near as much as it does among cinephiles. That’s not to take away from their skill and what the brand adds, but it’s way overstating the impact on name alone, outside of people who follow the industry close enough to post on a message board 

Like there are basically no more movie stars who can help a film breakout … but a director can? How many people out of 100 can name Tom Cruise or Dwayne Johnson vs Nolan?

1 minute ago, kayumanggi said:

426.1M DJANGO UNCHAINED

161.2M THE HATEFUL EIGHT

I'd say those are really good numbers for those types of movies.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

426.1M DJANGO UNCHAINED

161.2M THE HATEFUL EIGHT

The Top 3 are pretty dang great considering the very adult content. 

3 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

426.1M DJANGO UNCHAINED

161.2M THE HATEFUL EIGHT

In terms of Quentin Tarantino movies, Django is still his biggest film to date. Nothing else has outgrossed it so far.

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

58 days, but it did almost no box office after 45 days...

Ya, it as released here in the UK in early April, so that's why I thought it was much shorter. I remember my bf saying he wanted to see it when we caught the trailer in the cinema, and missed it on the first couple of weekends, then there was a coming soon banner on Prime and that was that...

8 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Exactly. Let's not try and rewrite this weekend into some kind of underdog story where the 150 million movie with a ton of showtimes and a non-insignificant number of PLFs managed to triumph. The numbers are crazy enough has they are, no need to try and oversell the performance.

Did you not read the full quote? Barbie is getting 10% of its gross from PLF, Oppenheimer 50%

Its not unreasonable to say a stand-alone opening of this size makes $10-$20M more with the full PLF run, and just shows how many tickets are being bought at standard pricing to get to the $160M+ level 

1 minute ago, M37 said:

Clearly I struck a nerve here, but my broader point is that I just don’t believe a director moves the needle among the GA anywhere near as much as it does among cinephiles. That’s not to take away from their skill and what the brand adds, but it’s way overstating the impact on name alone, outside of people who follow the industry close enough to post on a message board 

Like there are basically no more movie stars who can help a film breakout … but a director can? How many people out of 100 can name Tom Cruise or Dwayne Johnson vs Nolan?

Not any director, just very very few of them, most directors are not draw, but Nolan obviously is. It doesn't matter how many people can name someone, what matters is how many people both know and willing to take their ass to theaters and pay for the movie someone made because of his name alone.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

The numbers post TDK tell the story themselves. Especially when Nolan is always billed as "the director of TDK, Inception, Interstellar etc". His fanbase is simply far larger than any other director's. It's not necessarily that general audiences go crazy for him, it's that he has a loyal base that no one else does, who will always turn out. Jesus Christ, Tenet did over 300 million OS in the middle of the pandemic. Those are above the kinds of numbers that Marvel put up in 2021. Nolan IS a brand which means he has a high floor. Nolan film in IMAX is basically what people go see when it's out. THAT is what makes Oppenheimer more than a typical adult drama.

• Like 12

56 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Oppenheimer making $75M+ after the struggles for the adult drama in recent years goes to show that type of movie isn't dead yet, it just takes a little something extra exciting to get folks on board with them. 

So excited for "Killers of the Flower Moon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, M37 said:

Did you not read the full quote? Barbie is getting 10% of its gross from PLF, Oppenheimer 50%

Its not unreasonable to say a stand-alone opening of this size makes $10-$20M more with the full PLF run, and just shows how many tickets are being bought at standard pricing to get to the $160M+ level 

Yes, I did. Did you read the numerous posts all over the place saying "PLF, who needs them?" If it makes 15-20 million from PLFs, not to mention the massive number of "standard" screens, let's not bloody make it sound like it's playing in 50-seat auditoriums. I can already see the narrative turning towards Barbie being an underdog success story and that is pure bullshit.

Edited by reddevil19