The Wild Eric

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

... why

Because it’s just the first movie with cooler stunts, and the first movie belongs where it is…. in the 80s. Also, the action is not as cool if you’re not telling yourself “oh wow, they actually did that in real life” the whole time. 

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Barbie being frontloaded after all is absolutely not what I was here for. What about the CS, don’t these people know? What about how I had actually come around to being good with it crushing Mario? Am I just supposed to be OK with it not now?? What is any of this 

That 75% Female skew is probably not helping. Sure Men are seeing it but Oppie, Mission Indy and SOF are all out there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Mission franchise just rubs salt in the wounds with TGM. Vastly superior in every single metric since GP, but mere fraction of the success/accolades. 

Yeah I really loved TG Maverick. Always liked the orginal but not even in my top 15 TC movies. I would rank all 7 mission movies before even got close to Top Gun. 

• Like 1

Why do I get this feeling that Oppenheimer final domestic BO will be higher than Barbie domestic despite being half the OW . I am seeing much more lasting impression reactions and that is increasing desire to see the movie while Barbie seems front loaded Maximus 

anecdotal but Barbie reactions seem to be one and done while Opp seems to be generating discussions 

Edited by hasanahmad
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

14 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Barbie being frontloaded after all is absolutely not what I was here for. What about the CS, don’t these people know? What about how I had actually come around to being good with it crushing Mario? Am I just supposed to be OK with it not now?? What is any of this 

Barbie could pull a TDK or TDKR on Sunday. Both of them had kind of shaky numbers on Saturday and then really strong Sunday holds. 

Flip side is that Twilight and 50 Shades franchises were extremely frontloaded. Can’t rule out a scenario where Barbie goes in that direction. 

Maybe it just lands in between those two scenarios, which would be a somewhat boring result as a box office observer. But the movie is gonna make enormous profits no matter how it plays out. 

• Like 1

Just back from Oppenheimer Dolby screening and my mind is absolutely blown. I think this will be the favorite at the awards next year. Anyway I am expecting a long run into the summer. Presales for tomorrow will be under 10% down from today. Plus with big markets mostly selling out tickets by morning today, I am expecting spillover to play a big part not just tomorrow but into its weekdays. 

Surprised by Barbie not going up. I am still expecting a good sunday hold and solid run. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Barbie could pull a TDK or TDKR on Sunday. Both of them had kind of shaky numbers on Saturday and then really strong Sunday holds. 

Flip side is that Twilight and 50 Shades franchises were extremely frontloaded. Can’t rule out a scenario where Barbie goes in that direction. 

Maybe it just lands in between those two scenarios, which would be a somewhat boring result as a box office observer. But the movie is gonna make enormous profits no matter how it plays out. 

I’m mostly being dramatic haha, obviously anything it makes at this point is a huge win because it’s already huge. But I am shocked to see it likely land closer now to 150 than 200 after all with the OD. 

• Like 1

Think both Barbie and oppenheimer are seeing increased fan rush due to the nature of the event, and Oppy just so happens to be forcefully more spread out because of PLF limit and screen allocation

I don't think that means either will have poor legs (especially oppenheimer)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

At least Thursday was. Might have balanced out a little since then. 

It is definitely a huge gay male event as well, so if we only have 25% male turnout, it’s possible it’s like less than 15% straight male turnout. Definitely disappointing if it doesn’t balance out more, thought it was breaking out with everyone in a certain age bracket. 

Edited by MovieMan89