The Wild Eric

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

Us Spotify

4- Barbie World - Nicki Minaj

12- Dance the night - Dua Lipa

13- What i was made for - Billie Eilish

62 - Speed drive - Charli XCX

147 - I'm just Ken - Ryan Gosling

151- Pink - Lizzo

these songs alone made 5M streams.

I think there are chances for a debut at the top of Billboard 200 for Barbie the album. Should be the first time with a movie #1 on box office charts and music charts in the same week since Black Panther in 2018.

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

46 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Any of you with your ‘This is where Tom went wrong with MI7’ schtick - a serious LMAO. 

The movie is absolutely fantastic. Literally one of the best summer blockbusters in years. That it’s doing a little less than it should be is for varying reasons, but it sure isn’t because of the movie. 

Agree with you with exception of it being the best summer blockbusters in years .still liked it action and atwell  were good but IMO script was  sloppy ,villians were lame and the annoying trope done with Elsa character .

Stepdown from 4-6.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Fallout was a ceiling, but dropping by 200 mln from it could be avoided. It's not a wild wish to expect it to perform at least like Fallout with its reception.

Look, the world is a different place than what it was when Fallout was released. That was 5 years ago. COVID happened. The rise of streaming happened. Long time fans of the M:I franchise got older and with all due respect, expecting M:I to be an evergreen franchise like Star Wars that goes from generation to generation is simply a tall order. M:I never occupied the public conscious like Star Wars, Marvel or DC franchises. Hell, it didn’t even topped the Fast and Furious franchise when it comes to popularity.

M:I doesn’t have a media presence outside the films, and that’s unlike any other major blockbuster out there. I keep thinking about this video that completely rips Indiana Jones a new one (it’s from an YouTuber gaming journalist that has a weekly show where he comments some gaming news of the week with a sort of comedic take) and how it’s perfectly apt to describe the M:I franchise:

Barbie is a multimedia brand. Marvel is a multimedia brand. DC is a multimedia brand. With decades and decades of built in audience, that literally goes transgenerational at this point. M:I and Indy just aren’t that. They are film franchises, with no big presence whatsoever outside the films. They are quite smaller compared with the actual big players when it comes to franchises, which now includes the likes of Super Mario Bros and Barbie. I don’t think people understand how absurd and ridiculous some expectations are thrown around here. We aren’t "coming back to normal", you can’t have the 5 years that we had from 2018 to 2023 and expect people to show up if a lot of families grew used to watch films at home during the pandemic, even more so for franchises that are smaller and clearly don’t have enough of a presence in the public conscious like  M:I and Indy.

I did a similar mistake. I expected Indiana Jones to be at least somewhat as relevant as Star Wars. The truth isn’t that Lucasfilm killed the chuds childhoods and now people don’t care more about Indy. I fucking love Indy. But when was the last time he had a videogame? When was the last time that the character was popular among the new generation? Because even long before Disney bought Lucasfilm and made the ST, Lucasfilm made pretty damn sure that Star Wars were fucking everywhere. Completely different than Indy. And that’s fine. Some franchises, for one reason or another are just different than others.

Expecting it could overcome all of that or get close to Fallout just "because of WOM" isn’t realistic, neither happens all the time. Some franchises are biggers than the others, and that’s absolutely fine. Do you really think that Fast X would get a bigger reception if it was reviewed as well as MI7? Because I don’t think so. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I think Barbie legs will play like Spider-Man: Homecoming. A big second weekend drop and then great legs throughout August. Btw, the movie was fantastic, my favorite movie of the summer and probably the year so far. So glad so many people are watching this movie. 

Barbie ranking: 

1. Barbie (2023)

2. Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper

3. Barbie as Rapunzel

4. Barbie as the Island Princess

5. Barbie of Swan Lake

6. Barbie in the Nutcracker

7. Barbie: Fairytopia

8. Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus

9. The Barbie Diaries

10. Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Astonished 4
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

I think Barbie legs will play like Spider-Man: Homecoming. A big second weekend drop and then great legs throughout August. Btw, the movie was fantastic, my favorite movie of the summer and probably the year so far. So glad so many people are watching this movie. 

Barbie ranking: 

1. Barbie (2023)

2. Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper

3. Barbie as Rapunzel

4. Barbie as the Island Princess

5. Barbie of Swan Lake

6. Barbie in the Nutcracker

7. Barbie: Fairytopia

8. Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus

9. The Barbie Diaries

10. Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses

I remember loving Barbie in the Nutcracker, Barbie as Rapunzel and Fairytopia as a kid. Never saw the rest. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

I remember loving Barbie in the Nutcracker, Barbie as Rapunzel and Fairytopia as a kid. Never saw the rest. 

Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper is pretty iconic, so are Nutcracker and Rapunzel. 

1 minute ago, vale9001 said:

i don't know a period comedy romantic movie seems interesting to me.. and definitely to the Barbie core target. 

In terms of the movie itself, I like period pieces, but I don't think that's the right director for this. Also, what exactly is Barbie's core audience, in your opinion, that might show up for an Ocean's prequel in the same numbers?

For box office, I think you may be going down the same path as those assuming MI7 will have a TGM bump because...reasons. Neither Robbie nor Gosling are box office draws. Barbie is the right casting for those specific roles, with a huge IP, amazing marketing around said IP that you just can't replicate for most any other movie - none of that will be present in the Ocean's prequel. Do not confuse the amount of likes on a post mentioning Robbie and Gosling DURING BARBIE'S OPENING WEEKEND for a statement of intent from audiences.

Ocean's 8 is a far likelier box office story than Barbie. Or basically any romcom from the last 10-15 years. I'm sure a solid 130, give or take, is achievable, but don't go setting expectations for that on the basis of Barbie.

• Like 2

Ben shapiro doesn't even think what he says. 

These people are just mediocre people can create anything interesting, so they need to use artists and creative people to make money thanks to them.

It's their brand. At the end of the day the talented people will make millions, he will make cents. 

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

In terms of the movie itself, I like period pieces, but I don't think that's the right director for this. Also, what exactly is Barbie's core audience, in your opinion, that might show up for an Ocean's prequel in the same numbers?

females loving female driven movies like a romantic movie is. 

and i didn't say it's gonna make the same numbers of barbie, just the movie can became a surprising success. I don't know about the budget but 300-350M WW would be great, 

29 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Making quality films about popular, beloved and cross generational franchises result in box office juggernauts. Who knew? It’s not like we’ve been seeing that since Superman ‘78. Or Batman ‘89. Or Spider-Man ‘02. Or the Harry Potter movies. Or the Marvel Studios movies. Or Super Mario Bros. Or well, now Barbie. The general audience is screaming the same thing they’ve been for decades now: make cool shit with brands we grew up loving and have a fond attachment to. It’s not really rocket science, and with all due respect to Greta Gerwig’s creative genius, this is much more about Barbie as a brand and how she was able to make Robbie the personification of Barbie than film pundits are willing to admit.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

I believe Barbie will see better legs compared to your typical summer blockbusters. For one, it ain't a superhero film. Actually i think it will play like one superhero film and that's Wonder Woman. 500M DOM is within reach for Barbie. And given its results in LATAM and Europe, Barbie will make over 1B. It won't go over Mario but 1.1B maybe. A huge win all thing considered, even if it doesn't reach that hight. I get that the writing's on the wall with this one but a month ago sited were giving it a 40M ow. 

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

4 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Just found out Little women got an A- cinemascore. Worst than barbie?. Weird.

Maybe some old lady found all the flashbacks a little bit confusing?. 😆

Maybe Cinemascore hit up screenings with the costuming purists; the 2019 Little Women is infamous among the fashion historian types on YouTube.

44 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Even in years without the WGA strike, SNL wraps for the season in late May. The late night shows might have run the bit into the ground, yeah.

It's so great to see all the photos of people pink in theaters, plus the couples dressed as Barbenheimer. Studios, you can't just recreate the fervor around this dual release just by taking two movies and coming up with a portmanteau.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

"Barbie" like "Super Mario Bros" is a multi-generational phenomenon.  Especially for Girls and Woman.   When I saw a "Barbie" the movie was being made.  I thought "Well it could end up a little campy but if it taps into all those little girls that played with Barbie's for decades, watch out". With that said, I honestly didn't expect this.   Most of the movies this summer seemed to be tailored to young boys and Men.  "Barbie" did the exact opposite and leaned into marketing towards Woman.  This numbers are astronomical honestly.   I have to say, "Barbie" may have run the Best Marketing Campaign I've seen in over a Decade.   I'm serious.   This movie had ads all over the place for the last year.  Those pink colors have been everywhere.   

Also the Casting worked because I don't think you have these numbers with a new actress and actor in leads. Margot and Ryan have both built up some good will over the years.  Sure they had some averages numbers here or there.  But this may be the breakout moment for them especially Margot.  As for Nolan, he loves releasing in July but those are good numbers for a 3 hour Drama about the atomic bomb.   He could had a #1 if he released it in a different weekend.  It's a good rebound for him after the "Tenet" situation.  It's also ironic that WB is taking the #1 over him this weekend though after everything that happen. 

As for "Mission Impossible".  The movie was fantastic but the release date seems to have been an issue sadly.  They were running away from Harrison and Indy and ran into a Barbie Wall.   Also "Sound Of Freedom" is taking away a strong demos  from "MI7".    I was hard on "Elemental" when it opened but I'm very impressed with it's Legs.  Remember this is an original animation and it gave young Kids a film to latch onto this summer.  Sure "Spideyverse" also got kids too but this targeted even younger children.   I think Weekend shows though Sequels can still generate but there must be a healthy mixture with new and original properties.   Hollywood should not rely heavily on Sequels to carry the water for the Box office.   Overall though there have been some disappointing numbers.  I think this has been a pretty good Summer.   The problem is we have to keep our expectations at bay post Pandemic.   

Edited by filmscholar