The Wild Eric

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

1 minute ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Maybe Cinemascore hit up screenings with the costuming purists; the 2019 Little Women is infamous among the fashion historian types on YouTube.

Even in years without the WGA strike, SNL wraps for the season in late May. The late night shows might have run the bit into the ground, yeah.

It's so great to see all the photos of people pink in theaters, plus the couples dressed as Barbenheimer. Studios, you can't just recreate the fervor around this dual release just by taking two movies and coming up with a portmanteau.

You mean to say that #SawPatrol™ isn’t happening?! :whosad:

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Making quality films about popular, beloved and cross generational franchises result in box office juggernauts. Who knew? It’s not like we’ve been seeing that since Superman ‘78. Or Batman ‘89. Or Spider-Man ‘02. Or the Harry Potter movies. Or the Marvel Studios movies. Or Super Mario Bros. Or well, now Barbie. The general audience is screaming the same thing they’ve been for decades now: make cool shit with brands we grew up loving and have a fond attachment to. It’s not really rocket science, and with all due respect to Greta Gerwig’s creative genius, this is much more about Barbie as a brand and how she was able to make Robbie the personification of Barbie than film pundits are willing to admit.

Well, Barbie is the only female lead one of that bunch so, it’s still a special achievement.

Another point: for every giant hit you listed there, there are 10 failed attempts. 

This isn’t aimed at you, but more an observation on some comments/tweets I’ve seen: Let’s not try to take away or dumb down what a great achievement this hit film is. People are trying it on twitter too “well it was everywhere” “the marketing budget was $400m” “it better do XX because marketing costs” “well of course it’s doing well it’s a comedy” etc etc. 

Let’s not. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Agree with you with exception of it being the best summer blockbusters in years .still liked it action and atwell  were good but IMO script was  sloppy ,villians were lame and the annoying trope done with Elsa character .

Stepdown from 4-6.

its all opinions.  I’d only rank Fallout ahead of it personally. 

• Like 1

Well it's obvious that Barbie is an unmitigated disaster. It can't even increase on Saturday from true friday. And it's only going to come in at around 150 million. What a joke.

This is pure exaggeration obviously and there's not many in these forums that are disappointed in the number but even if there's only one or two of you that are disappointed in this number, give your heads a shake. This is still one of the most mind-blowing stories in the box office in the last I don't know 5 years? I don't think many people honestly saw it's soaring to these kind of heights last year.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, AN9815 said:

I can't believe people like this exist, what a loser 

These are the kind of people that Barbie absolutely rips to shreds in the most articulate, sensible, reasoned way imaginable.  Gerwig and Baumbach taking them to the cleaners, but with love. We can all do so much better. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

19 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Well, Barbie is the only female lead one of that bunch so, it’s still a special achievement.

Another point: for every giant hit you listed there, there are 10 failed attempts. 

Let’s not try to take away or dumb down what a great achievement this hit film is. People are trying it on twitter too “well it was everywhere” “the marketing budget was $400m” “it better do XX because marketing costs” “well of course it’s doing well it’s a comedy” etc etc. 

Let’s not. 

Well pointed out, but I don’t understand how you got this from my post.

I think people here and among film twitter need to come to terms with the fact that yeah, it’s possible to make excellent films that touch the zeitgeist based on popular brands. It happened twice already with Black Panther and Wakanda Forever, the latter putting a Black English actress (regardless how much I disagree with the nonsense she used to say online) front and center talking about the loss of a brother that passed away and is literally beloved in that fictional world and our own. There were also Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel, and neither of those clearly don’t get the credit that they deserve from film pundits because "superhero films". Hell, we had a Star Wars trilogy with a female lead front and center, and despite what hardcores say, kids got to grow up in an world where they have all these great characters to look up and be inspired by, to be seen reflected on them.

It’s fine and it’s possible to make great films about brands with an actual message that the audiences might relate and be excited to see in the big screen. My point is, Barbie is a film that defies film snobs. It’s clearly amazing, it has obviously become a blockbuster and yeah, it’s based on a Mattel Barbie doll, which is the vehicle and canvas that Gerwig was allowed to tell the story she wanted to. It’s special, yes. But a LOT of films and series lead us to this. And regardless how brilliant the film is, it is very much a celebration of what Barbie means to people, and that isn’t and shouldn’t be seen as a demerit to the film.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mango said:

Barbie being really frontloaded is a possibility based on the early Saturday number, but still 60% drop idk. With the glowing word of mouth and IMAX screen sell outs well past next weekend I can’t imagine Oppenheimer dipping 50% either. Even Dark Knight was only a 52% hit

Disney "horror" movie open will be going directly at Barbie's audience...and as we've seen this week, Disney can demand screens and showings, even now.  So, it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

In other box office news, insidious chapter 5 apparently isn't the hated film that everyone thinks it is. I wonder if it's going to have enough juice to be the highest grossing film in the series domestically? The second movie grossed 83 million dollars. I don't know if it's going to have enough to get past that but I think it might be close.

Sound of freedom is going to be around $125 million after this weekend. It did show signs of being a normal movie this weekend. If the estimates hold it's probably around a 30% drop. Still quite fantastic but it shows it's not immune to being sucked up by the barbenheimer craze. I'm also wondering if it has enough juice to get to 200. I'm betting that it does.

Dial of Destiny will probably be a few hundred thousand dollars short of $160 million after this weekend. Will it have enough to get to 180? 180 would be a three multiplier from its opening weekend. Yes it's a gigantic bust but I would still like to see it get to 180.

It was inevitable that mission impossible was going to take a big hit this week but I think it's holding better than at least I thought it would. I also wonder if this movie can get to 180.

Elemental is having some massive Bridget Nielsen kind of legs. I don't know where it's going to end up at this point but after a rough beginning it certainly showed that audiences are really liking it.

If Barbie doesn't hit a billion, and I don't think it will, does anyone have any idea what movies could possibly hit that number this year? And does anyone actually know what Barbie's budget is? Did they really spend some exorbitant amount of money on marketing?

Okay, and with that we go back to the barbenheimer dissection of the box office.

• Like 2

On 7/20/2023 at 8:45 AM, Brainbug said:

This is the best and most important Box office weekend of the year.

But i dont want to see any meltdowns here from anyone when Barbie "crashes" to only a 150M OW and Oppenheimer "bombs away" to a 50M OW. Mind you, i dont think that this will happen at all, but these numbers would still be great for both of them, especially Barbie. The fact that were all predicting much higher things for both of them is already proof that this is a true success story for everyone involved.

Point still stands. Even though Barbie seems to be more frontloaded than most of us expected, this is still an incredible opening and no one here should be in any way disappointed. I too hoped for a 200M OW after the previews came out, but that was in the end my own inflated prediction/hope. Reality is different, but its still an amazing reality.

40 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Maybe Cinemascore hit up screenings with the costuming purists; the 2019 Little Women is infamous among the fashion historian types on YouTube.

It's so great to see all the photos of people pink in theaters, plus the couples dressed as Barbenheimer. Studios, you can't just recreate the fervor around this dual release just by taking two movies and coming up with a portmanteau.

I remember the '19 LW costume discourse, including the anger over the hair parts. I'm pretty tolerant generally about costumes because so many period movies get things wrong, but even I understood the mixed feelings about LW '19 winning Best Costume Design that year.

At least Barbie's costumes are better. Durran stepped up her research and attention to Barbie history. I also loved the Ann Roth cameo. It's fun to see so many people in cosplay for the movies. I wore my pink dress yesterday, and it was blast seeing so many Barbies and Oppies. 

EDIT: I also think it's funny that the 2017 miniseries LW Laurie is Prince Eric in the live action TLM. Hope Disney finds a way to have TLM cross 300. Spiderverse, TLM, Barbie, and Oppenheimer are my fav summer movies so far. If three (or all four, but idk if Oppie can do it), could make 300 DOM, I'd be very happy.  

Edited by Hildagarde25
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

If Barbie doesn't hit a billion, and I don't think it will, does anyone have any idea what movies could possibly hit that number this year?

We'll have to see the drops next weekend, but for now a billion i still very much a possibility, due to how strong LATAM and Europe is.

If it doesn't hit that mark, I can't see any other movie doing it this year. 

Depending on reshuffles and reception, there's a few that could play in the 600-900 range (900 being very best case scenarios, I think), such as Marvels, Wonka, Aquaman (yes, I know it's supposed to be shit, but the holidays, plus more goodwill towards Momoa from female demos), Dune, Hunger Games prequel.

Right now though I'm thinking:

Marvels - 700 (this is still an MCU movie so if well received, like GOTG3, I feel it has the greatest potential)

Dune 2 - 650

Aquaman - 600

Hunger Games - 500 

Wonka - 350

I'm probably wrong on all of them, but...meh.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

Look, the world is a different place than what it was when Fallout was released. That was 5 years ago. COVID happened. The rise of streaming happened. Long time fans of the M:I franchise got older and with all due respect, expecting M:I to be an evergreen franchise like Star Wars that goes from generation to generation is simply a tall order. M:I never occupied the public conscious like Star Wars, Marvel or DC franchises. Hell, it didn’t even topped the Fast and Furious franchise when it comes to popularity.

M:I doesn’t have a media presence outside the films, and that’s unlike any other major blockbuster out there. I keep thinking about this video that completely rips Indiana Jones a new one (it’s from an YouTuber gaming journalist that has a weekly show where he comments some gaming news of the week with a sort of comedic take) and how it’s perfectly apt to describe the M:I franchise:

Barbie is a multimedia brand. Marvel is a multimedia brand. DC is a multimedia brand. With decades and decades of built in audience, that literally goes transgenerational at this point. M:I and Indy just aren’t that. They are film franchises, with no big presence whatsoever outside the films. They are quite smaller compared with the actual big players when it comes to franchises, which now includes the likes of Super Mario Bros and Barbie. I don’t think people understand how absurd and ridiculous some expectations are thrown around here. We aren’t "coming back to normal", you can’t have the 5 years that we had from 2018 to 2023 and expect people to show up if a lot of families grew used to watch films at home during the pandemic, even more so for franchises that are smaller and clearly don’t have enough of a presence in the public conscious like  M:I and Indy.

I did a similar mistake. I expected Indiana Jones to be at least somewhat as relevant as Star Wars. The truth isn’t that Lucasfilm killed the chuds childhoods and now people don’t care more about Indy. I fucking love Indy. But when was the last time he had a videogame? When was the last time that the character was popular among the new generation? Because even long before Disney bought Lucasfilm and made the ST, Lucasfilm made pretty damn sure that Star Wars were fucking everywhere. Completely different than Indy. And that’s fine. Some franchises, for one reason or another are just different than others.

Expecting it could overcome all of that or get close to Fallout just "because of WOM" isn’t realistic, neither happens all the time. Some franchises are biggers than the others, and that’s absolutely fine. Do you really think that Fast X would get a bigger reception if it was reviewed as well as MI7? Because I don’t think so. 

I see your point and there's truth to it, but I still think it shouldn't have dropped this much all things considered, not all franchise have big media presense and still do well enough. By the way, new AAA Indy game is in development from Machine Games and Bethesda. Maybe if they managed to release it before Indy 5, it would've done better.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RRA said:

You mean the movie that introduced a new fan favorite character in Ferguson that they brought her back several times? I remember she brought a certain fresh energy to the ensemble which helped that film/formula out. Not routine.

Idk, Hayley did the same thing and she's a very different character from Ferguson, so if DR is routine, then RN as well.

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

Us Spotify

4- Barbie World - Nicki Minaj

12- Dance the night - Dua Lipa

13- What i was made for - Billie Eilish

62 - Speed drive - Charli XCX

147 - I'm just Ken - Ryan Gosling

151- Pink - Lizzo

these songs alone made 5M streams.

I think there are chances for a debut at the top of Billboard 200 for Barbie the album. Should be the first time with a movie #1 on box office charts and music charts in the same week since Black Panther in 2018.

I'm a litlte obsessed with Dance the night, I'm just Ken, and Pink right now. I would love to see the double #1. 

4 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Like Barbie the thread is a bit frontloaded

Barbie stayed flat on Saturday from it's friday, that's not exactly front loaded.

• Thanks 1