The Wild Eric

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

Also, Barbie is going to pretty much obliterate the all time OW record for a movie that didn’t notably attract families/kids. Unless the demo breakdown turns out to be shockingly kid inclusive, but I highly doubt it. Opp is also going to be one of the biggest in that regard too, pretty much just behind Barbie and Twilight/Hunger Games franchises. 

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Yes, that's right. I forget how many of those movies there were. I guess there won't be a legacy sequel any time soon post-Oscars slap...

Why would Chris Rock be punished for that? lol

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Also, Barbie is going to pretty much obliterate the all time OW record for a movie that didn’t notably attract families/kids. Unless the demo breakdown turns out to be shockingly kid inclusive, but I highly doubt it. Opp is also going to be one of the biggest in that regard too, pretty much just behind Barbie and Twilight/Hunger Games franchises. 

Not really sure i'd call Titanic a kids/family movie tbh. Even Avatar would be a bit of a stretch there.

It does beg the question though: are movies legitimately dying with the youngest gens (primarily alpha)? Two adult skewing blockbusters opening to nearly 300m would have been unthinkable probably until just this very decade. Meanwhile, we can hardly get a family/kid driven movie to open to much of anything now (Minions doesn’t even count bc teens fueled that one). Makes Mario even more impressive honestly. 

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I do think Nolan's zero competition from the same studio for 6 weeks is one thing he needs to drop because there's no harm in Universal or WB releasing a film which is not even the same audience and you don't see Spielberg or Cameron demanding it. It comes across as arrogant.

It makes sense though if you want the movie viewed on really large screens. My Regal RPX show was a great visual experience this morning. The auditorium right next to it is a very large regular auditorium and it provides a great experience too (saw MI7 in there a few days ago). That screen is playing Barbie. And the RPX screen is giving some shows to Barbie next week from what I can tell.

Oppenheimer is getting squeezed onto smaller screens in a way that defeats the purpose of shooting on traditional 70mm film or 70mm IMAX film. Both of those 70mm formats are intended for very large screens. If the movie is gonna be pushed into small auditoriums, he might as well just shoot with a normal 35mm process. Whole bunch of work by the crew for nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Not really sure i'd call Titanic a kids/family movie tbh. Even Avatar would be a bit of a stretch there.

Huh??? Titanic had an extremely low opening lol. Even Avatar movies OWs were nothing that huge (and still more kid skewing than Barbenheimer I’d expect). 

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It is a movie based on a toy intended for 3-9 year olds.
It is the definition of a movie that'd attract families/kids. And even from the early demo breakdowns you can see kids are really liking it. 

• Like 1

• Community Manager
37 minutes ago, Eevin said:

imo i think the success of Barbie/Gerwig also boils down to a very specific thematic overlap that is not easily replicated — Gerwig’s consistent reflections on womanhood are a perfect match for Barbie as a concept, but i don’t know how easily you can do that with like, gi joe  

You can easily do a consistent reflection on what it means to be a military soldier, tackling toxic masculinity (vs say healthy masculinity) in GI Joe. Whether it would be good or not is a different story. 

• Like 1

I just got out of Barbie. It was fantastic. Great performances by Margot, America and Ryan. I dragged my sister along cause I didn’t want to go by myself and my female friend is going out of town for the weekend. My sister didn’t want to see it cause she hated Barbie as a kid but she ended up liking the movie.

1 minute ago, 21C said:

It is a movie based on a toy intended for 3-9 year olds.
It is the definition of a movie that'd attract families/kids. And even from the early demo breakdowns you can see kids are really liking it. 

What early demo breakdown? And are we really going to do this whole Barbie was very obviously not marketed at kids thing again, because I thought we were finally done with that? 

Edited by MovieMan89

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It does beg the question though: are movies legitimately dying with the youngest gens (primarily alpha)? Two adult skewing blockbusters opening to nearly 300m would have been unthinkable probably until just this very decade. Meanwhile, we can hardly get a family/kid driven movie to open to much of anything now (Minions doesn’t even count bc teens fueled that one). Makes Mario even more impressive honestly. 

I feel like this is cause the only people who've actually fully embracing the streaming life is parents with younger kids. They just refuse to bring their kids to the movie and wait for everything to go to streaming.

I don't know why since I bring my kids to anything that they can possibly watch at the movies and I'm a pretty young parent.

11 minutes ago, KC7 said:

If Nolan's really that much of a baby, then he needs to blame Universal for scheduling his movie on a weekend after another studio had already called it.

He would have to blame himself. The release date was his choice. And if he was still with WB right now, I think Barbie would be releasing on a different weekend. So those are both his choices, leaving WB and forcing Universal to release it on the same weekend as TDK/Inception/TDKR/Dunkirk. 

1 minute ago, eeetooki said:

Was Titanic a PG rated movie? I remember I watched it as a kid and knowing a lot of families watched it despite people knowing about the nudity.

PG-13.

And the nudity was such a big deal, that a company offered to physically cut Kate's Winslets out of VHS copies ahead of its (massive) home video release.

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

Was Titanic a PG rated movie? I remember I watched it as a kid and knowing a lot of families watched it despite people knowing about the nudity.

PG-13