upriser7

Weekday numbers July 24-27

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Voldemort said Oppie THU is actually ~9.5M 

He messed the comps earlier apparently 

Hoping it can get to 10M so i feel good about +50M weekend 

Its too early to get accurate number. I think we should wait until evening. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

$50M seems unlikely. Maybe around $45M. That’s in the ballpark of tracking for last weekend! Lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

He also said 20-21 as a conservative estimate even this early, which should bode well for over 20m today 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Secret wars in 2028, Incredibles 3, some unknown Star Wars film in the 2030s 

The inevitable Avengers nostalgia reunion film sometime in the late 2030s will break the world.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Ahead of INDY and INSIDIOUS again, but THE HAUNTED MANSION could hit this hard this weekend.

Yeah for whatever reason it seems like nearly all theaters are cutting Elemental showtimes to just be matinees.

So this weekend might be a harsh drop.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

One thing which should help Oppenheimer on Friday and Saturday is much more heavily attended late shows or in many cases, the expansion from three shows a day to four shows a day per screen. I checked an AMC in Detroit and one in KC and their IMAX screens are both going from 3 to 4 shows a day on Friday and Saturday, up from 3 today.

Edited by LonePirate
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

I also like this game: constantly underestimate movie, which I like, and every time get positive emotions from constant process of exceeding expectations.

Not a game. Just looking at data on Nolan’s previous numbers. With a $9.5M Thursday, it looks like this:

TDK   (4.568x):   $43.4M weekend

TDKR (4.704x):   $44.7M weekend

INCEP  (4.99x):    $47.4M weekend

DUNK (5.124x):   $48.7M weekend

Needs at least $10M for Thursday to have a shot at $50M on the weekend, but that is only following Inception & Dunkirk type of performance. A $10M Thursday would be $45-47M weekend with TDK or TDKR performance. 

• Sad 1

I don't think Oppenheimer will compare much to TDK and TDKR. And being a 3 hour film that's currently constrained by PLF showtimes, that could be pushing more of the grosses to the weekend than it would otherwise. I think 50m is more or less about 50/50. And a 10.66m Wednesday, inching a bit higher than 9.5m seems plausible to me unless Haunted Mansion stealing some Dolbys really hurts it

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I don't think Oppenheimer will compare much to TDK and TDKR. And being a 3 hour film that's currently constrained by PLF showtimes, that could be pushing more of the grosses to the weekend than it would otherwise. I think 50m is more or less about 50/50. And a 10.66m Wednesday, inching a bit higher than 9.5m seems plausible to me unless Haunted Mansion stealing some Dolbys really hurts it

We shall see. I think Oppenheimer’s opening weekend got screwed on screen count and showtime numbers compared to Nolan’s previous movies, so it’s possible that we’ve been witnessing big time spillover in the weekdays similar to TDK

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

We shall see. I think Oppenheimer’s opening weekend got screwed on screen count and showtime numbers compared to Nolan’s previous movies, so it’s possible that we’ve been witnessing big time spillover in the weekdays similar to TDK

Quite enjoy your pessimism. A man after my own heart.

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

We are.

But it also could mean we're still gonna be experiencing spillover into the 2nd weekend too due to a cascading effect. We know several IMAX's are sold out for this weekend in addition to last weekend, and more of those early morning and late night shows will see higher occupancy as a result too on the weekend.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

We are.

But it also could mean we're still gonna be experiencing spillover into the weekend too due to a cascading effect. We know several IMAX's are sold out for this weekend in addition to last weekend, and more of those early morning and late night shows will see higher occupancy as a result.

As a 3 hour movie, you would think a lot of people might wait to see it on the weekend instead of weekdays. But TDKR was also nearly 3 hours and ended up with 4.7x on the 2nd weekend compared to Thursday. 

Let’s say Empire is a bit low on this early number and Oppy ends up at $9.8M for Thursday. TDKR’s 4.7x multiplier would give Oppy a $46M weekend. Pretty damn good!