upriser7

Weekday numbers July 24-27

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Sort like Dune Part 1, I gather? I don’t know, with the box office numbers, although it’s obvious that it’s getting the sequel, wouldn’t be wise to change that on PVOD? It’s such a "action movie" kind of title that I don’t see the importance of keeping the name, but then again I was mad that Endgame was called that and not something more related to the Infinity Saga so what I do know lol. 

I haven't seen Dune, so not sure on that one. But I was very surprised at the end of Mission Impossible when they plastered the big bold title on there "END OF PART 1" right in the audience's face...before the screen went to black for the end credits. 

5 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I have no dog in this fight, I’ll just point out it’s funny how people seem to acknowledge that it was a mistake and still want them to proceed calling the sequel Dead Reckoning Part 2 lol. One would imagine that not insisting on the mistake would be better, but maybe it’s just me.

It ain't  that hard to explain. Casual audiences see a part one and might say I don't want to see something right now that I have to wait a year or more to see the second part. A lot of them will decide to wait to and watch it at home closer to release. They will have watched it at home by  that time and be more willing to see Part 2 in the theater. Dropping the Part One now is not going to make people go okay I will see it in the theater now if that is their reason. 

I haven't seen MI7 but it's probably at least partly due to the two part nature of it that it's making less money. Audiences don't really like the whole "two part" thing unless they feel it's warranted. Something like IW and endgame really felt like two different films that shared an arc. Something like Harry Potter allowed the last book to be more accurately depicted. Something like Pirates 2 and 3 shared one story but felt like the characters had different arcs for each film.

Hunger games on the other hand was only made worse by being split. Same with the Hobbit. And let's not forget what happened with that Divergent sequel.

Specifically advertising a film as "THIS IS PART ONE OF TWO" makes people go "oh so it's not a complete Movie then" before they ever bother to see if it actually felt like it worked

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

I haven't seen MI7 but it's probably at least partly due to the two part nature of it that it's making less money. Audiences don't really like the whole "two part" thing unless they feel it's warranted. Something like IW and endgame really felt like two different films that shared an arc. Something like Harry Potter allowed the last book to be more accurately depicted. Something like Pirates 2 and 3 shared one story but felt like the characters had different arcs for each film.

Hunger games on the other hand was only made worse by being split. Same with the Hobbit. And let's not forget what happened with that Divergent sequel.

Specifically advertising a film as "THIS IS PART ONE OF TWO" makes people go "oh so it's not a complete Movie then" before they ever bother to see if it actually felt like it worked

Agreed. Avengers earned that and Infinity War is its own film, our modern Empire Strikes Back. It’s not really a ‘part one’. Despite ending with a cliffhanger of the heroes and civilization as a whole losing, it tells a complete story. M:I was basically advertised as "this is part 1, trust us it’s going to be worth it", and yeah like, it’s the 7th film of the franchise. It’s a tall order for the audience.

The ironic thing is that out of all the recent part one movies Mission Impossible is the only one that felt like a full meal to me. nothing unsatisfying about where it ends its story. even if i didn't love it overall.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

As far as I can tell, it already broke the record for R-rated movies.

Now we just need Oppenheimer to pass Passion of the Christ for highest grossing r-rated film domestically. Oppenheimer to 400!!

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

Now we just need Oppenheimer to pass Passion of the Christ for highest grossing r-rated film domestically. Oppenheimer to 400!!

Will nut myself if Oppenheimer beats Passion.

However before second weekend I’m still on the “let’s get to $300m” 

39 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

Domestic is a little hard but ww should be doable.

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

Agreed. Avengers earned that and Infinity War is its own film, our modern Empire Strikes Back. It’s not really a ‘part one’. Despite ending with a cliffhanger of the heroes and civilization as a whole losing, it tells a complete story. M:I was basically advertised as "this is part 1, trust us it’s going to be worth it", and yeah like, it’s the 7th film of the franchise. It’s a tall order for the audience.

DR  Part 1 does tell a complete story. . 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

DR  Part 1 does tell a complete story. . 

It does, which sorta made the subtitle all the more confusing for me. I get part two will obviously continue from the events of this one, but the movie works fine as a stand-alone. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

No, that ended 2 weeks ago - the pay it forward tickets are now saved for anti-trafficking group fundraisers 1st...they have not released any back to regular pay it forward folks since the 2nd weekend...

Interesting, thanks for that clarification. Also might explain the larger than anticipated drops for it this week. If a portion of the audience (I’m not here to argue exactly what portion - none of us actually know) was going because the tickets were free but otherwise wouldn’t have paid full price for it, that segment is now removed and thus so is some box office. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mango said:

It does, which sorta made the subtitle all the more confusing for me. I get part two will obviously continue from the events of this one, but the movie works fine as a stand-alone. 

Yeah it was one of many bad or weird decisions in the leadup to releasing this movie.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Barbie will have a strong drop domestic but in Germany its going up 33% !!!! Not sure what is happening here. Its OS weekend will be another crazy one for sure. 

Germany (and france a bit) underperformed relative to rest of europe, time to remedy that I guess 😉