Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

26 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The last two Halloween films were terrible sellers in IMAX/Dolby despite large openings. It doesn't make sense to give Exorcist more than 1-2 shows per screen with Eras now.

It's the same reason why Elemental barely had any premium screens to speak of. When any given movie bombs, exhibitors get cold feet and give less screens to its successors. And Elemental was the next Disney animation after the flop combo of Lightyear and Strange World. You get the idea.

3 minutes ago, motionpic05 said:

Exorcist should really move. It’s going to get destroyed. 

Everything we've heard indicates the studio knows it's sitting on a dud, so they'll likely try to score as big as they can during that opening weekend and then move on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

It's the same reason why Elemental barely had any premium screens to speak of. When any given movie bombs, exhibitors get cold feet and give less screens to its successors. And Elemental was the next Disney animation after the flop combo of Lightyear and Strange World. You get the idea.

Not really. It's actually largely because animated movies typically don't get a ton of PLFs in the first place. Unless you're a major property like Mario or a big sequel like Toy Story 4 or Minions 2, you're not getting IMAX or PLFs, since families typically don't buy premiums anyways. Even Wreck-It Ralph 2 didn't get IMAX due to Fantastic Beasts 2 and only got them a week or two after release, because Beasts 2 failed to make much money out of it and there was nothing else to replace it with.

Wish will likely get few premiums as well in favor of Napoleon, but it's not because "oh no Disney movies bomb now", but because of the market and how these type of movies sell.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Would the best comp here be… Barbie? Female icon and focused and all that. It’ll be way more frontloaded than that of course

Barbie was still relatively slow. The demand was strong initially, but not out of this world, and built up slowly. 

This should be compared to fan driven franchises like MCU or Star Wars. But, Friday start makes things more complicated, as well as other factors.

Doctor Strange MOM would be a good one for those that have it.

17 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Denver is already at 3711 tickets sold. Comps won't really be useful, but just to get a sense of scale, at least locally: Barbie T-3 was at 4274 tickets sold. Let's see how frontloaded this is.

I went back to look at some No Way Home figures, and you had 6613 for Thursday previews on your first update at T-17. Would that be the same coverage area? If so, that gives a sense of scale at what we're looking at here.

20 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Beat comp probably the Hannah Montana Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour. 30M unadjusted from 600 locations.

Perhaps some of those religious themed fathom events, or even anime. The audience composition will be different, but the pattern of mega-presales & soft walk-up should be at least in the ballpark 

• Like 4

Keep in mind Exorcist is still opening on Friday the 13th in October. Better to keep it there than push it up a week for more PLF showtimes (which it will still have on OW). Barbie already showed you can open big with reduced PLF.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, vafrow said:

I went back to look at some No Way Home figures, and you had 6613 for Thursday previews on your first update at T-17. Would that be the same coverage area? If so, that gives a sense of scale at what we're looking at here.

That was Megaplex, not the same coverage area. But my first Denver update was 6470, so close enough, but Denver was after 11 hours versus 3 hours for Megaplex.

• Like 2

Movie Day Area TC Shows New Sold Seats % Sold
Taylor Swift T-43 Jax 5 45 587 587 4,975 11.80%
    Phx 6 45 2,908 2,908 8,375 34.72%
    Ral 6 45 2,294 2,294 6,477 35.42%
  Total   17 135 5,789 5,789 19,827 29.20%

*Two Jacksonville theaters have shows listed but are still closed from the hurricane.

Taylor Swift (2 hrs) comps against 24hr movies

- NWH - .41x (20.52m)

- Dr Strange 2 - .964x (34.72m)

- Batman - 1.78x (38.44m)

This is without 2/5 of Jacksonville available yet and only 2 hours of sales.  I'd think Friday will be at about 95% capacity when all is said and done.  Just a matter of how many shows it can secure.

Comps against T-0 morning sales

- Super Mario - .535x (16.97m)

- Barbie - .608x (12.9m)

- Space Jam - 1.306x (17.11m)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 7

Sorry I quit for today.
I tried several times to get access but no chance. Now it says "please wait 10 minutes", earlier it were 5 and 3 minutes. Of course it weren't only 5 minutes but I waited. Then the page turned black and later it said that no showtimes are announced yet for The Nun II on September 7 and 8 (and of course it had already showtimes yesterday). And when it comes to The Equalizer, only the AMC Centerpoint link worked (20 sold tickets today, it were 13 yesterday).
Normally it's annoying but today... 😝. Of course the Taylor Swift fans are to blame.

Maybe it works better tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, vafrow said:

Taylor Swift Eras Tour, southern Ontario, D1, hour 2, T-44

Total sales:  5620

New Sales: 5620

Growth from yesterday: n/a

Theatre Count:  50

Showtimes:  198

Tickets per showtime: 28.384

Coverage Radius: 143km

Estimated population coverage: 8-10M

Theatres Tracked: MTC4

I have nothing that can really serve as a comp on this. Even things I tracked at a local level that were big like ATSV or Barbie did not have starts like this. My D1 on ATSV locally was 24 sales compared to 86 for hour 2 locally here, and doesn't take into account the ticket price.

Barbie locally was slow, as it got added after other theatres, so it's no help.

To provide context and scale though, comparing TSwifts hour 2 figure (at over six weeks out) to morning of figures for other recent movies over the same radius.

4.84x T-1 Blue Beetle

6.33x T-1 Equalizer

7.97x T-1 Gran Turismo

My figures are also so out of date, that when I've lost count, i can't go back and double check a number because it's changing so rapidly.

I think it's safe to say we have our next event film.

I just did a mini pull on a subsample. In the 2-3 hours from when I pulled this morning, sales have gone up by a factor of 2.8x.

Lots of the early evening shows are approaching sell out levels, so, it will be interesting to see where the overflow goes to, whether it's matinees, late shows are Saturday and Sunday times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 2

AMC Location Sold Capacity % Sold
Assembly Row 987 1,032 95.64%
Boston Common 2,079 2,119 98.11%
South Bay 708 742 95.42%
TOTAL 3,774 3,893 96.94%

AMC Location Fri Sat % Diff
Assembly Row 987 1,202 21.8%
Boston Common 2,079 1,948 -6.3%
South Bay 708 552 -22.0%
TOTAL 3,774 3,702 -1.9%

I checked all the AMCs on the area, and the trends are the same. Everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) for Friday night is either sold out or down to wheelchair + companion seats, even the theaters outside the Boston metro area.

Of course, Boston won't represent the entire country, but with ticket prices uniform, I think we'll see more of this than people think. That, and the Boston Common has large auditoriums and seat capacities.

Tickets are behind for Saturday, even with showtimes as early as 9am, but I expect spillover to be strong from Friday. As for Sunday, who knows?

Also any good tips on formatting and copying tables here? lol

Edited by Ezen Baklattan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

Denver is already at 3711 tickets sold. Comps won't really be useful, but just to get a sense of scale, at least locally: Barbie T-3 was at 4274 tickets sold. Let's see how frontloaded this is.

It’ll be massively frontloaded. I’m guessing as a %, 1st 24HR sales will be 2-3x the same equivalent of NWH.

This concert film wasn’t going to be officially announced until next Wednesday! When was the last time BOT of all things caused an announcement shift like this?

Extremely proud of my sources and myself. This was easily the biggest scoop we’ve uncovered so far.

• Like 21
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2