Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

12 hours ago, DAJK said:

Bit of a qualifier for my earlier post. Awful awful weather today and throughout the weekend, getting hit with snowstorm tonight, and I’ve talked to a couple of the GMs at different theaters in the area, the weather is definitely crippling sales.

Disregard my earlier post about walkups as being indicative of overall trends. Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah, Chicago area is getting hammered with snow and rain right now. 700 flights already cancelled out of Midway and O’Hare, interstates covered in black ice and jack knifed semis, that sort of hammered. Supposed to be like this through tomorrow morning, so I wouldn’t expect tonight to be a big night at the movies.

• Like 2

I live across the street from a theatre, and I postponed plans to see Anyone But You with my wife. We can get to the theatre no problem, but, dropping off the babysitter afterwards would be an issue. As of last night, forecast was calling for about 10-15 cm right during that time frame.

We figured better to just wait a day.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, JustWatching said:

Yeah, Chicago area is getting hammered with snow and rain right now. 700 flights already cancelled out of Midway and O’Hare, interstates covered in black ice and jack knifed semis, that sort of hammered. Supposed to be like this through tomorrow morning, so I wouldn’t expect tonight to be a big night at the movies.

Same with the twin cities starting at around noon, going through the night

• Like 1

The Book of Clarence is headed towards a microscopic opening. Not a single prime night show near me has sold more than 5 seats and everything else is completely empty. Likely won't even hit $5M for the 4-day frame.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Eric George said:

Quorum Updates

Dune: Part Two T-50: 41.23%

Love Lies Bleeding T-57: 15.67%

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire T-71: 41.17%

Unsung Hero T-106: 12.62%

IF T-127: 20.65%

The Beekeeper T-1: 46.39% Awareness

Final Awareness: 86% chance of 10M, 51% chance of 20M, 30% chance of 30M, 19% chance of 40M

Medium Awareness: 77% chance of 10M, 61% chance of 20M, 46% chance of 30M, 15% chance of 40M

The Book of Clarence T-1: 28.61% Awareness

Final Awareness: 16% chance of 10M

Low Awareness: 14% chance of 10M

Mean Girls T-1: 60.83% Awareness

Final Awareness: 100% chance of 20M, 95% chance of 30M, 89% chance of 40M, 79% chance of 50M

Low Awareness: N/A

I.S.S. T-8: 24.5% Awareness

Final Awareness: 16% chance of 10M

Low Awareness: 14% chance of 10M

Kung Fu Panda 4 T-57: 51.65% Awareness

T-60 Awareness: 100% chance of 20M, 89% chance of 50M, 78% chance of 60M, 67% chance of 90M, 55% chance of 100M

Animation/Family Awareness: 100% chance of 50M, 50% chance of 90M

Dune 2 at only 41%. There have been 3 trailers. This is a Part 2 and  still only 41% are aware without help or aid that it is coming out. Yeah this is why the Quorum is so unreliable. Or this movie really is not going to blow up or break out,  and the casuals don't care. Still over a month and a half to go though. 

The unpredictability of winter storms, which can affect large swatch of revenue driving major metros, is part of the reason why the Jan/Feb calendar has gotten weaker over the years 

• Like 6

After the Apes move yesterday, this is what May looks like now:

5/3: The Fall Guy

5/10: Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, Back to Black, Horrorscope

5/17: IF, The Strangers: Chapter 1

5/24: Furiosa, Garfield

5/31: nothing

Seems like a waste that the 31st is just sitting there empty unless something that will definitely be ready in time like A Quiet Place: Day One moves up. April already being on the barren side with few titles that have potential (The First Omen, Abigail, Challengers, Civil War) means that there isn't much to move back either.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

On 1/12/2024 at 10:26 AM, M37 said:

The unpredictability of winter storms, which can affect large swatch of revenue driving major metros, is part of the reason why the Jan/Feb calendar has gotten weaker over the years 

Yet still far stronger than it was in the 80s or 90s or even early 2000s when Jan is particular was considered the dumping ground (way before there was OTT to dump things).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Seems like a waste that the 31st is just sitting there empty unless something that will definitely be ready in time like A Quiet Place: Day One moves up. April already being on the barren side with few titles that have potential (The First Omen, Abigail, Challengers, Civil War) means that there isn't much to move back either.

It looks naked w/o a Marvel movie.  And nothing so far for Memorial w/e.  Studios really screwed themselves over with the strikes.

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It looks naked w/o a Marvel movie.  And nothing so far for Memorial w/e.  Studios really screwed themselves over with the strikes.

What? Furiosa and Garfield are both releasing on Memorial day weekend.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2023 at 2:31 PM, M37 said:

One should clearly go to the 5/10 weekend (probably Apes), grab those PLFs for 2 weeks, sandwiched between an action film that’s going to skew younger and towards women, and a family film 

Thats It Alison Brie GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Its not uncommon for the post-Memorial Day weekend to be lacking a major opener. For example, in 2018 it was just Adrift (though probably due to avoiding a certain movie's expected huge week 2), and the comedies that often filled that spot are basically non-existent in the market these days

I have no idea about production schedules, but a slated August release could find a nice home in that open spot (Speak no Evil?); the opposite of last year when Strays (rightly) got bumped to the weaker Dog Days of summer

• Like 8

1 hour ago, M37 said:

Thats It Alison Brie GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Its not uncommon for the post-Memorial Day weekend to be lacking a major opener. For example, in 2018 it was just Adrift (though probably due to avoiding a certain movie's expected huge week 2), and the comedies that often filled that spot are basically non-existent in the market these days

I have no idea about production schedules, but a slated August release could find a nice home in that open spot (Speak no Evil?); the opposite of last year when Strays (rightly) got bumped to the weaker Dog Days of summer

I wonder if there's anything at Sundance or SXSW that a studio coud grab and give a moderate release to and get some play. A comedy or horror that can get purchased and a quick release.

You really hate to see fully empty summer slots like this. I hope someone can tale advantage

• Like 1

20 hours ago, filmlover said:

May 31st isn’t that great a release date since you miss out on the Memorial Day holiday weekend, but you’re also not totally in summer yet 

44 minutes ago, Flip said:

May 31st isn’t that great a release date since you miss out on the Memorial Day holiday weekend, but you’re also not totally in summer yet 

It's usually a good weekend for an 18-25 skewing movie, since 100% of colleges are out by that weekend...

• Like 1