katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

44 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Italy? Why?. Can see making not even 500k euros total .

Because Sound of Freedom has been called a "mini American Sniper" and Italy was one of the top overseas markets for AS... But that was directed by Clint Eastwood, his filmmaking has a following there.

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Because Sound of Freedom has been called a "mini American Sniper" and Italy was one of the top overseas markets for AS... But that was directed by Clint Eastwood, his filmmaking has a following there.

Eastwood has a following in Europe in general. The french really like him and that's why Sniper did well there too.

• Like 2

I just got really lucky and got 2 good seats for Oppenheimer 70mm today that somebody must have cancelled their tickets for - but other than that, all planned showings are pretty much sold out, never seen anything like it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

Mojo needs to create one of its showdowns tracking the day to day grosses of all six films and maybe Deadpool II as well. Oppy still has a ways to go before it catches those films; but it will gain ground on all of them during the upcoming weekdays. The film will pass $200M sometime next week and $300M looks fairly solid; however I'm not yet sold on the $329M needed to pass It for fifth place on the all time list. Oppy will need to gross north of $30M next weekend to have a chance so we'll see.

I used to love using Mojo for those showdowns it made using comps alot easier. It's a travesty what happened to that website.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I used to love using Mojo for those showdowns it made using comps alot easier. It's a travesty what happened to that website.

The Numbers is good for showdowns now, they even adjust to the day of the week. Mojo just randomly plops two movies next to each other without accounting for the release day or expansions and so on. The site genuinely got gutted when it was absorbed into the broader Amazon portfolio.

• Like 3

Looks like Barbie will pass AtSV on Wednesday (or possibly on Tuesday if holds are great the next three days). Not bad at all for 12-13 days of work. From there it's a quick $200M to Mario which should happen sometime in mid-to-late August.

2 hours ago, vale9001 said:

SOF should be a total non event OS imo. Wouldn't be surprised of like 90% box office domestic, or even more (?).

And you base that on what?

Heres a completely random thought but every once in a while we talk about movies with terrific ensemble casts. Well check this one out

Robert DeNiro

Stallone

Peter Berg

Cathy Moriarty

Harvey Keitel

Ray Liotta

Anabella Sciorra

Edie Falco

Janeane Garrafalo

Noah Emmerich

That's the cast for Copland and in my opinion it's such a terrific movie and the performances by pretty much everybody are out of this world especially from Ray Liotta and Stallone of course. It's a bit of a slow burn and obviously a huge departure from what Stallone usually did and if anybody here hasn't seen it and is looking for a fantastic movie with an All-Star cast I'd highly recommend it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

Oppy looks to score the sixth biggest second weekend (wide release) gross for an R-rated film behind the big five: The Passion of the Christ; Deadpool; American Sniper; Joker; and It.

Mojo needs to create one of its showdowns tracking the day to day grosses of all six films and maybe Deadpool II as well. Oppy still has a ways to go before it catches those films; but it will gain ground on all of them during the upcoming weekdays. The film will pass $200M sometime next week and $300M looks fairly solid; however I'm not yet sold on the $329M needed to pass It for fifth place on the all time list. Oppy will need to gross north of $30M next weekend to have a chance so we'll see.

It needs 34% weekly drops to get past Passion. Second week will likely be higher (because first week has previews), but I could see it holding very well thereafter. The only real hiccup is Dune nabbing all the IMAX screens. It basically has no competition until that happens.

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Yeah seems different 😆

I don't see any audience here.

53 minutes ago, baumer said:

That's the cast for Copland and in my opinion it's such a terrific movie and the performances by pretty much everybody are out of this world especially from Ray Liotta and Stallone of course. It's a bit of a slow burn and obviously a huge departure from what Stallone usually did and if anybody here hasn't seen it and is looking for a fantastic movie with an All-Star cast I'd highly recommend it.

Copland is wonderful. A very good and different performance from Stallone than what you'd usually expect when you hear he plays a cop. 

• Like 1