katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Yeah the 2024 schedule looks so barren. Potentially could have nothing above the $400M mark which is disastrous. 

Is it though? We can’t expect ‘biggest films of all time’ every year.  I would say it would be perfectly fine to have a year where there’s more that break into the $200 million range, to compensate for the lack of a couple of phenomenons. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Some moments like the ghost army in ROTK look a bit jank but I rewatch it almost every year and everything else has held up really well. The Balrog in FOTR still looks outstanding 22 years later.

I remember comparing HP1’s bathroom troll to the Cave troll in Fellowship in 2001 and it was like Rings had been made twenty years in the future in comparison. 

The quidditch in HP1 was also not even visually good in 2001, let alone now. 

Of course, it doesn’t really matter. Both franchises utterly timeless. 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I would say it would be perfectly fine to have a year where there’s more that break into the $200 million range, to compensate for the lack of a couple of phenomenons

The problem is that recent years - especially post-pandemic, but even before it was trending that way - those 200 million movies have been going extinct. Very much feast or famine and if there are no candidates for huge breakouts, it may be a case of everything being underwhelming with people skipping cinemas altogether. However, I wouldn't despair just yet.

We don't know where Beyond the Spider-Verse will land (it might still be sometime next year rather than a full 2025 push), Joker 2 will open absolutely huge, and even a bit of MCU reshuffle should still see Deadpool 3 land somewhere in 2024. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Some moments like the ghost army in ROTK look a bit jank but I rewatch it almost every year and everything else has held up really well. The Balrog in FOTR still looks outstanding 22 years later.

I've just never let the special effects of the time bother me when you watch it in modern times. Special effects are nice because they bring things to life that you couldn't otherwise do but it's never something I look at and go oh my God that's so terrible. We all know damn well that when we first sat our asses down in the theater and watched it we were in awe of everything. And when you have a story and characters and a script like Lord of the rings the special effects is the very last thing I pay attention to. I think people who sit down 20 years later and bitch and complain that the special effects don't look right or in the case of my favorite movie, the shark looks fake. Jaws was 50 years ago LOL there was no special effects. And Lord of the rings, I, like many of you here watch it at least once every couple of years and it's still as engaging and awesome as it was 20 years ago. 

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I remember comparing HP1’s bathroom troll to the Cave troll in Fellowship in 2001 and it was like Rings had been made twenty years in the future in comparison. 

The quidditch in HP1 was also not even visually good in 2001, let alone now. 

Of course, it doesn’t really matter. Both franchises utterly timeless. 

Gollum VFX will likely hold up till the end of time. It's so great and so much effort went into that for sure. That and Davy Jones VFX set a high standard for CG characters which almost nothing outside Avatar has been able to meet.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I don't care about shitty effects in movies if said movies are good (and the LOTR movies are great), but there's something about late 1990s-early 2000s CGI that amps up the uncanny valley-ness. It's more an issue in ROTK because of all the CGI armies, though.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, baumer said:

I've just never let the special effects of the time bother me when you watch it in modern times. Special effects are nice because they bring things to life that you couldn't otherwise do but it's never something I look at and go oh my God that's so terrible. We all know damn well that when we first sat our asses down in the theater and watched it we were in awe of everything. And when you have a story and characters and a script like Lord of the rings the special effects is the very last thing I pay attention to. I think people who sit down 20 years later and bitch and complain that the special effects don't look right or in the case of my favorite movie, the shark looks fake. Jaws was 50 years ago LOL there was no special effects. And Lord of the rings, I, like many of you here watch it at least once every couple of years and it's still as engaging and awesome as it was 20 years ago. 

Jaws with modern effects would make it a much worse movie. Bruce not working properly was the best thing that could have happened. 

• Heart 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Jaws with modern effects would make it a much worse movie. Bruce not working properly was the best thing that could have happened. 

Exactly. Having to show as little of the creature as possible makes Jaws and Alien work much better. It's the fear of the unknown.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Exactly. Having to show as little of the creature as possible makes Jaws and Alien work much better. It's the fear of the unknown.

Pretty much. But then again, my favourite scene in Jaws doesn't even involve the shark, it's night time on the Orca, that's one of my favourite movie scenes outright. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I disagree I think it's a shame spielberg didn't get to realize his original vision of Roy Scheider on a jet ski with a samurai sword fighting the shark.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Honestly I think the CGI in LOTR is still better than a big chunk of movies released nowadays.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

The problem is that recent years - especially post-pandemic, but even before it was trending that way - those 200 million movies have been going extinct. Very much feast or famine and if there are no candidates for huge breakouts, it may be a case of everything being underwhelming with people skipping cinemas altogether. However, I wouldn't despair just yet.

We don't know where Beyond the Spider-Verse will land (it might still be sometime next year rather than a full 2025 push), Joker 2 will open absolutely huge, and even a bit of MCU reshuffle should still see Deadpool 3 land somewhere in 2024. 

definitely. I’m not despairing at all. 
perhaps a lack of the behemoths will have people seek out other movies and we will see more fill out that $200 million range. 

I never doubt the box office’s ability to surprise us when we think it’s doomed one way or another.  It’s certainly stunned us all this summer in terms of what has done well and what has disappointed. 

5 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

From 2015 onwards minus 2020 . Highest grossing movie domestic has been 600M+ 

Highly unlikely in 2024 but Which movie would you  see somehow potentially  surprising us next year?

This is everything I think makes over $150M next year as long as nothing moves. I'm not expecting a $600M+ finisher....

Deadpool 3 = $525M

Despicable Me 4 = $460M

Inside Out 2 = $360M

Mufasa = $350M

Kung Fu Panda 4  = $330M

Joker: Folie a Deux = $320M

Captain America 4 = $275M

Sonic 3 = $250M

Thunderbolts = $225M

Elio = $200M

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes = $180M

Snow White = $180M

Venom 3 = $180M

Wicked = $175M

GxK: New Empire = $160M

MI:DR2 = $150M

Furiosa = $150M

5 minutes ago, XXR Dar-Benn said:

This is everything I think makes over $150M next year as long as nothing moves. I'm not expecting a $600M+ finisher....

Deadpool 3 = $525M

Despicable Me 4 = $460M

Inside Out 2 = $360M

Mufasa = $350M

Kung Fu Panda 4  = $330M

Joker: Folie a Deux = $320M

Captain America 4 = $275M

Sonic 3 = $250M

Thunderbolts = $225M

Elio = $200M

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes = $180M

Snow White = $180M

Venom 3 = $180M

Wicked = $175M

GxK: New Empire = $160M

MI:DR2 = $150M

Furiosa = $150M

Despicable Me 4 doing that much feels very optimistic, but maybe nostalgia for the family aspect will start kicking in now