katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

Nolan is never going to do that big shock and awe masturbatory war movie that people want him to, he clearly doesn't revel in watching the death and destruction in a real historical event, people were upset that Dunkirk was so "sanitized" and I'm old enough to remember people online being excited to watch the bombs drop on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in Oppenheimer. That kind of false empathetic spectacle anti-war war propaganda does not appear to move him. Also, he is most likely not going to D-day or Pearl Harbour since they have already been done within the last 30 years (if retreading didn't concern him he would most definitely be doing his Howard Hughes biopic).

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, Etsch said:

Nolan is never going to do that big shock and awe masturbatory war movie that people want him to, he clearly doesn't revel in watching the death and destruction in a real historical event, people were upset that Dunkirk was so "sanitized" and I'm old enough to remember people online being excited to watch the bombs drop on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in Oppenheimer. That kind of false empathetic spectacle anti-war war propaganda does not appear to move him. Also, he is most likely not going to D-day or Pearl Harbour since they have already been done within the last 30 years (if retreading didn't concern him he would most definitely be doing his Howard Hughes biopic).

I think something like Miss Saigon would be a great challenge for him since he'd have to balance different things because it's set during and after the Vietnam War but it's also  a tragic love story with complex characters. The Fall of Saigon which is an iconic part of the stage show would be incredible to film using IMAX cameras.

Did anyone else watch Cobweb here? Like, the final 15-20 minutes had me in the edge of my seat like nothing else in a long time (I was alone in the theater and I had to turn the light on of my phone for a few seconds because of how scared and nervous I was), but the abrupt ending left a soar taste in my mouth. I wanted to know if I was the only one.

Edit: tagging @Krissykins and @baumer because you guys usually watch most horror releaaes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think something like Miss Saigon would be a great challenge for him since he'd have to balance different things because it's set during and after the Vietnam War but it's also  a tragic love story with complex characters. The Fall of Saigon which is an iconic part of the stage show would be incredible to film using IMAX cameras.

even I would struggle to follow Nolan on a Miss Saigon film

I also think a musical would be at odds with Nolan’s shooting style tbh. 

Edited by MrPink

8 minutes ago, Etsch said:

Howard Hughes played a role in WW2 building planes for the military. I could see the Hughes movie fitting in with Dunkirk & Oppy as Nolan’s WW2 trilogy.

But I am not sure he will bother with the Hughes project. Scorsese & DiCaprio version is strong enough that we don’t need another version of it. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I don't think other countries have a big enough conservative population to sustain a similar run or even care enough about it given it's quite a US centric movie. People point to American Sniper but that had three things going for it, awards buzz, Bradley Cooper and Clint Eastwood

I don't know about now but in 2014

a famous actor doing a war story of an American solider doing his duty has wide mainstream appeal 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

even I would struggle to follow Nolan on a Miss Saigon film

I also think a musical would be at odds with Nolan’s shooting style tbh. 

Miss Saigon is very cinematic as a stage musical, as a movie it'd be on another level.

Just now, Jonwo said:

Miss Saigon is very cinematic as a stage musical, as a movie it'd be on another level.

I think it’s got a lot of bad tropes and I hate the story, but there’s a personal element for me

• Like 1

Nobody expected Oppenheimer out of Nolan and it turned out to be maybe his best, so I don't think anyone of us should have real opinions. That said, I think his two war era movies (Oppy/Dunkirk) are alot better than his high concept sci-fi run, especially after how wack Tenet was, so I'm more into the grounded Nolan. I love the Prestige, Insomnia, and Memento so would actually love to see him do a mid-sized thriller or mystery next instead. 

• Like 5

TBH I got interested in the Joker after Heath Ledger's portrayal. I mean I have always known about this villain but it's not until Heath that I found out this character could be so interesting. Til this day I still wish I would've seen more of him. I even watched The Suicide Squad to see how Leto's Joker would be but that was...yeah not at all impressive. I did like the Joaquin Phoenix version.

2 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

TBH I got interested in the Joker after Heath Ledger's portrayal. I mean I have always known about this villain but it's not until Heath that I found out this character could be so interesting. Til this day I still wish I would've seen more of him. I even watched The Suicide Squad to see how Leto's Joker would be but that was...yeah not at all impressive. I did like the Joaquin Phoenix version.

There are really good versions of the Joker in the DC animated movies. You should check some of those out.

4 minutes ago, Chaz said:

There are really good versions of the Joker in the DC animated movies. You should check some of those out.

I am just not that interested in American animation in general lol I would choose Asian animation any day.

Joker's iconic because pretty much every Joker other than Leto is iconic on the big and small screen. Cesar Romero is iconic in the '60s Batman TV series. Nicholson is iconic in Batman '89. Mark Hamill voicing the Joker in Batman The Animated Series is iconic. Ledger is iconic. Leto was a wet fart that everyone already forgot. Phoenix was iconic.

BTAS Joker is arguably the best one.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

Just now, Gopher said:

I want a Nolan WESTERN. His REVENANT or HIGH NOON or UNFORGIVEN. Three hours of OPPENHEIMER's Los Alamos magic hour lighting, captured on 70mm IMAX. How awesome would that be?

I thunk his next movie will be more in current time. I think he will keep switching between times for sure. Wont make back to back period movies.

That said no one knows for sure. it will probably be at least an year before he would even announce with the strike on.  

Just got out of Barbie. Movie was so weird. I don't know how to feel about it. Gosling was hilarious. So was Cera. Margot Robbie did the best with what she was given. The underlying themes couldn't have been delivered more explicitly, and the message at the end wasn't very clear. Was Barbie going to the real world because Barbieland wasn't KENough? Is it to represent women breaking free of society's unrealistic standards? There was a great movie somewhere in there. Maybe I need a rewatch with set expectations. The movie also wasn't really made for me I guess.

I enjoyed my time at the theater KENough nonetheless. Had some great laughs and gags. Emotional beat at the end was nice.

I'll just separate my thoughts on the movie and it's box office success because these numbers it's pulling in are staggering and exciting. I can't wait for the next forced "Barbenheimer" lol. I hear it's already happening with Saw Patrol.

• Like 1