Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates - Barbie $53M (hit a billion!), Meg2 $30M, Oppy $28.7, TMNT - $27.95M (5-day $43M), HauntedMansion $8.97M

The go woke go broker discussion is patethic and it's not a side, It's Just the most boring regressive slogan ever seen.

Are we acting like if Terminator would came today in the exactly same form they wouldn't attack for being woke cause a strong woman is the main character and kills Arnold? 

Alien?. Same thing. 

They would attack Aladdin cause after the whites Cinderella, Aurora, Belle, snow White and Ariel "Disney is going woke" with an arabic princess (Jasmine). Pocahontas would be destroyed. 

Will Smith in the 90s taking in Hollywood as main action actor would be "Hollywood going woke with Will over Sylvester and Bruce".

M. Night Shyamalan becaming one of the top commerciale directors "woke and woke" and Shrek with a trans character "woke gender propaganda"

Things there were unproblematic and everyone loved, including conservatives, now are a war against them.

It's enough honestly. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Elden Lord said:

If there is some kind of forum rule against talking about go woke, go broke, than it just further strengthens my suspicions that this forum is biased AF, and just an echo chamber for one side of an argument, that is too scared to have a real conversation, and probably like to use words ending in ist or phobe when challenged.. again, if such a rule is active.

Tell us how you really feel...

12 minutes ago, Elden Lord said:

Well, we are all on the outside looking in, so why does your opinion of it being a mild success mean anything more than my opinion it was a flop? 

What we do know is that back in July, Iger was on CNBC and talked about Pixar and how things have not been great at Pixar:

FABER: And Pixar? I mean, we’ve talked through the years. There was a time when a Pixar opening was a real event. Did it suffer as a result during Covid when you were going direct to consumer, for example, I think, it was “Red” or one of the fairly big movies.

IGER: Yeah, there were three Pixar releases in a row that went direct to streaming in part because mostly because of Covid. And I think that, you know, may have created an expectation in the audience that they’re going to eventually be on streaming and probably quickly, and there wasn’t an urgency. And then I think there was some – I think you’d have to agree that there was some creative misses, as well.

link to transcript of interview for all to read. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/13/cnbc-exclusive-cnbc-transcript-disney-ceo-bob-iger-speaks-with-cnbcs-david-faber-on-squawk-box-today.html#:~:text=IGER%3A Yeah%2C there were three,there wasn't an urgency.

That was July, and that wasn't specifically referring to Elemental

Apropos of nothing, we do actually have some official word on the matter now

How Pixar’s 'Elemental' Kept Its Fire Burning at the Box Office - The Walt Disney Company

• Like 3

6 hours ago, baumer said:

Without even going back and listing all the movies that have won best picture over the last say close to 50 years, in my humble opinion 75% of the Best picture winners would not have won in my book. But we all know the Oscars are rigged, the Harvey weinsteins of the world who buy votes and buy Best picture winners are a dime a dozen. I don't think the Oscars have ever been about true merit it's about who can grease the wheels and by their way into a win.

I know 1975 feels like eons ago but when Spielberg wasn't even nominated for best director for Jaws and even though I really didn't start watching the Oscars until I was probably 10 LOL even at that young of an age I knew that something was wrong.

I feel last year was pretty unprecedented never in my life did I think a film like EEAAO would not only win best picture but it dominated Oscar season. 

7 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I wanted to laugh at that range, but really that's been the big question for me, before it hits SK, China and Italy. It can definitely push past Bohemian Rhapsody if those three deliver.

Its international holds have been mind-blowing, so hopefully it happens.

Just an FYI, it’s a provincial holiday for many provinces in Canada today, including our largest Ontario. It’s also a rainy day in Ontario today. Checking in on the theatres, it looks like a Saturday out there! 

Expect a slight impact from this on overall numbers for Monday.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Are we acting like if Terminator would came today in the exactly same form they wouldn't attack for being woke cause a strong woman is the main character and kills Arnold? 

Honestly the 'wokest' thing in T2 wasn't Sarah being tough, it was refusing to let the Terminator kill anyone.  

God, I can picture the YT thumbnails in my mind right now.

26 minutes ago, Eric the Turtle said:

Well yes. This forum is biased AF towards racist dog whistles like “go woke go broke” that are just vessels for people to act like racist assholes. Sorry if you are not fond of the fact you can’t act wreck havoc like this, but this is how the forum rolls. And the staff is more than fine with that. Feel free to find another forum more your speed. We aren’t the only place on the Internet where you can talk box office.

Yup, exactly as predicted... lmao.. challenged and here comes the words ending in ist (i am sure phobe is soon to follow)...

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

35 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

This "go woke go broke" is such an useless nonsense slogan. If being woke had any negative influence on their profit, you can be sure the CEOs of all big Hollywood studios would stop green-lighting any and all projects considered woke, they're in it just for the money. This shit falls apart right there.

Not that this has any relevance to the Elemental arguments anyway. I think Elemental will ended up being considered a good win for Disney/Pixar, the obviously good WOM and then legs after a bad OW should signify better expectations for the next Pixar movie, it's a good sign imo.

And no, I don't think Elemental loses the studious any money in the long run.

The white audience no longer go to the theaters in the numbers as they used to. Cities and Coastal regions getting more diverse. More and more of the theatrical revenue coming from the cities dwellers and coastal regions. Thus, they're are more "diverse" characters. Hollywood is merely just trying to meet the demands of it's shifting consumer base. 

• Like 1