kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers (actuals) | Aug 18 - 20 | 25.0M BLUE BEETLE | 21.1M BARBIE

8 minutes ago, Kon said:

I'm not really surprised the movie isn't doing well in Latin American countries. 

Even if we talk about representation, this mainly applies to Latinos in the United States.

People living in Latin American countries don't really look for representation from American movies, especially the kind of representation American movies tend to offer for latinos. 

American movies that take place in Latin American countries tend to do great in those countries though. That's the main difference with Blue Beetle still taking place in the US (and making up a new city for the movie, rather than El Paso like in the comics).

I think Coco was the top grossing movie of all time in Mexico when it debuted. And similarly this year, Transformers, Rise of the Beasts did very well in Peru, where part of the movie was filmed and takes place.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Numbers has it at $129m so should be

Its made $94m in China before this w/e so at least 38% of it's O/S B.O. which brings down the overall profit some

It's effectively a coproduction so I'm sure the revenue split is more generous than your average Hollywood release.

I'm surprised people try to defend Blue Beetle numbers with "It could've been worse". Shazam 2 didn't have this excuse and it seems like BB is gonna do even less than that. You can bet this is the last time you see both characters on a big screen for another decade or more.

• Like 1

:ohmygod: I have no words for Blue Beetle. I knew it'd bomb, and yet I'm still speechless at just how bad it's doing. Someone here wondered during the opening or second weekend thread for The Flash if James Gunn should take the money and run before the DC stench kills his career. I'm honestly starting to think he really should. I have no clue how in the motherfucking hell he is going to convince the masses to see Superman Legacy. Call me hyperbolic, but that's just how I feel. This makes the uphill battle Batman Begins faced look like child's play.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I'm surprised people try to defend Blue Beetle numbers with "It could've been worse". Shazam 2 didn't have this excuse and it seems like BB is gonna do even less than that. You can bet this is the last time you see both characters on a big screen for another decade or more.

Forget the big screen, their presence in general across media will be severely reduced going forward if Green Lantern is anything to go by. I'm willing to bet both Billy and Jaime bite the dust in the comics by next year.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

39 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I don't get why they didn't just Batgirl this project.

Probably because WB knew Batgirl was pure garbage. 

I don’t get why so many people are upset about the shelving of that movie. If it was as bad as advertised (like Halle Berry Catwoman bad), we should be thankful it was shelved.