147 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Avengers

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I will give a somewhat quick review as not to spoil too much. Yes I know this is a place for spoilers but since most people have a week to see this, I am not going to tempt them...yet ;) As most know, I am not a fanboy about these films so take that as you wish.

For those that are fans of any of the movies that came before this, you will love this movie. Every characters gets their own time on screen and has at least one "money shot sequence".

There is definitely humor in this like all the movies before it and at times is really funny.

Loki is a good villian in this one and does live up to some people's expectations of some of the people on these boards ;) There actually is a sense of foreboding in this movie that i think some of the predescesors didn't have.

To me Captain America and the Hulk were the standouts in the movie. RDJ as Iron Man still commands the screen of course though. Everyone I thought did well in their roles so for those that have their favorites, you will say they stole the film as well ;)

There is a mid credits scene to watch for people that know the Avengers. Not sure about a post credits scene as I heard they filmed something that is added to the film that wasn't in the screenings so it may be that.

Overall, I give it an A

Yes, I have to agree. Joss Whedon really couldn't have done any better. Each of the Avengers has their own story arc, their own money shot, they even each have great one-liners. It really has some intentionally hilarious moments. Overall it was just a highly enjoyable film. I loved the Hulks one-sided fist pump with Thor.

Joss Whedon has delivered a near-perfect film, which got a resounding applause from my cinema (which never happens in Australia).Hulk easily stole the show, especially the scene where he beats up loki, that got applause and laughter for nearly a whole minute.All the characters were great, worked really well together, and Loki was good as a villain.Definitely an A+, and was more enjoyable to watch the TDK.

I loved the Hulks one-sided fist pump with Thor.

Yeah I loved that part too, but I didn't want to spoil it yet. I still have many parts I would love to talk about, but still not sure it is safe yet :P

Well then if it is open season on the movie ;)I loved the line of Bruce when he did the whole "do you know how I control it, I'm always angry" or close to that, then immediately changes into the Hulk and destroys one of the flying leviathans :) And of course when he interrupts Loki's big speech and completely pummels him. People were laughing so much, but at the end some people heard Hulk say "puny god". If that is true, it is even more hilarious.Of course some people here will love the Thanos scene in the mid-credits ;)I could go on and on, but I will let some other people fill in their spots :)Oh, since it was changed after the screening I saw, was there something at the end of the credits too?

Edited by 75live
  • Like 1

Yes. He did say "puny god". There was a guy near me who I thought was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard. I couldn't stay for the credits, nature called. Another one. The security guard to Banner- "I think you've got a condition".

• Like 1

10/10It was amazing. The comedy was perfect. Hulk stole the last half of the movie. It is a shame that they kind of turned Loki into a joke with the Hulk/Iron Man stuff in the 2nd half. Still, he was an amazing villian. The best of these Marvel movies so far. Tom Hiddleston is perfect for this role.

WARNING: SPOILERS EVERYWHERE

Going into this I had only seen the brief flashy trailer at the end of Captain America and one or two shots that began without me knowing what trailer was showing, so what did I expect?

At first, not much, I know I wanted to see it but I didn't think it would be that good. After all, cramming Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Thor AND Black Widow and Hawkeye as well as Loki? Nothing comes to mind in the whole "everything including the kitchen sink" blockbuster genre at the moment that provides my trepidation of ensemble casts-OH WAIT Deathly Hallows 2, and even then that movie didn't need to have perfect balance like TA, I mean F*** David Yates giving no screentime to the twins, Lupin etc.- anyway, plus I hadn't liked Iron Man 2, Thor or Captain America much.

But what a great time I had! Whedon's direction and script are superb. I think the way each Avenger gets their own screentime and makes none feel underdeveloped or overfocused is amazing. In the hands of a lesser director this would have suffered. I now have a little bit of experience with film so to see every shot being utilised to its fullest in terms of composition was great too. When Coulson was killed and those after shots of reaction that was top notch.

I cannot decide purely because I cannot remember if Tom Hiddleston played a better Loki here or in Thor, as some have said his lustre is pierced incredibly though when the Hulk makes a farce of him. As a character, some have argued it was a weak villain but I'm not convinced. Sure he's not exactly strong when you take in motive and such, but it is within character established and for that reason I approve. The only thing I didn't like about the final battle was how the aliens died when the mothership blew up. They weren't supposed to be machines but a race right? So how could they be killed? I will also say though the final battle is epic and inventive, it wasn't totally revolutionary or wow. I cannot remember the last film to do so, though, this film, more than most has many moments however they really stand out, and I might say that might be worth more than a solely good scene. If one were to compare to Dark of the Moon, well, despite the TF3 trailer, that battle was poor. It wasn't fun at all despite good sequences available. (Now I remember I watched 2012 again recently and that was excellent for WOW scenes, the earthquake in San Francisco has to be one of the best ever put to screen, the detail of what was being destroyed/falling/happening in the background like individual people falling out of cars and whatnot)

Back to the Avengers, acting-wise, I think Mark Ruffalo is the real standout. Sure, maybe Hulk as a character has the easiest acting chops on show, but still, his performance was magnificent as Bruce Banner for what we're given. RDJ is as badass as ever and Hemsworth returns with his cool icy Thor. I think Evans wasn't as good as he was in CA though. Renner and Johansson don't stand out but nothing bad to say about them either. I think the chemistry was excellent, I particularly love the scene where they bicker with each other. Hilarious.

It's been awhile since we've had a great franchise finisher and this does it spectacularly. It's the perfect summer blockbuster, and in a summer where TDKR has overshadowed as the would-be best superhero movie, I must say, the gauntlet has been thrown down with vigour. Let's see if Nolan can match it. I must also say that this summer could be legendary. Snow White, Prometheus, Brave, Total Recall, Bourne Legacy, Amazing Spider Man and The Dark Knight Rises are all looking really good, I wanted to say if the Avengers could succeed why not these movies? But then again, Whedon has proved to be masterful whereas unknowns plague the rest of the movies in various ways.

I am short on time so my next viewing, and I certainly would like to see it again, shall be in a month's time.

Also, saw it in 2D, and actually didn't have the whole "Hey that's 3D!" moment for films meant to be in 3D that I saw in 2D like Hugo, Dark of the Moon and others.

• Like 1

I liked it, it was god fun. The story is watered down and full of cliches, which is disappointing, because you'd expect something unique for a film like this, not the SH version of TF, but it's a good summer blockbuster, so many people will be pleased with that. Hulk was great and got great reception. IM was too much for me, it's just not funny to make jokes in every situation, it becomes annoying. They didn't explain how come that Thor could come back to Earth. Hulk punching Thor and smashing Loki brought the house down. There's not much emotional attachment, therefore I rate it lower than XMFC. On par with IM. Again, 3D didn't add anything, expect in the final battle. Definitely will check it out one more time. B+

IM was too much for me, it's just not funny to make jokes in every situation, it becomes annoying.

I completely agree with you, I was fed up with Iron Man, he sounded like a stand-up comedian. Well, I liked the film, but I don't see how this is much better than other superhero movies, although it's better than Thor, Captain America and Iron man 2, I prefer First Class and Iron Man to Avengers. 6/10, I'd say, but I'm not a fan of superheroes, anyway.
  • Like 1

I can't believe how much ass this movie kicks. Perfect blockbuster in every single way. Never really liked Whedon before but after this and the fact that he co-wrote Cabin in the Woods I must admit that I've officially been coverted.

+1