147 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Avengers

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

So apparently I was the only one that had a problem with that Hulk smash scene. I hate it with passion because it's so... how do I put this: disrespectful. You have this interesting character (Loki) and then you have this completely blank, stupid and annoying character (Hulk). I don't get why everyone likes that. It's a movie were it's way easier to root for the villain because of how uninteresting the heroes are (IM aside).

me too, what a horrible scene.

Edited by Goffe R Swanson

It's an average looking, unexciting, shallow, rarely funny movie with almost 0 character development and no stakes whatsoever. It is the opposite of what I expect from a entertaining film. The two hero vs hero fight sequences are an absolute waste of time, it makes me question why I'm still watching the film, they are pointless and have no impact or consequence.

But I have to admit that there's nothing super wrong with it (I mean, 0 character development is better than bad character development), the film is always on the verge of being boring, but it never is almost exclusively due to the charisma of the actors.

Saw it 5 times at the theaters back in 2012, and in a 3 years span I went from "it's great fun" to "terribly unremarkable" camp.

+55/100
Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

The Avengers is a pretty great conclusion to Phase 1 of the MCU. It's slow at points, and it lacks in the cinematography department except for a couple of cool shots. The script can be annoying at points too. However, the camaraderie among the cast and the tightness of the character arcs really makes it enjoyable. The third act is absolutely astounding, never losing excitement despite rewatch after rewatch. Ruffalo's Banner, introduced in this film, is really a wonder of the MCU, and Hiddleston works well as a villain to the proceedings. The Avengers is just really fun, working as the ending to the beginning in a perfect manner, along with the perfect kick-off to the now much more cohesive Marvel Cinematic Universe. A-

One of the most fun and rewatchable blockbusters of all time. The humor, the action, the group dynamics, all the seamless introductions, the gloriously petty villain, coulson's death, nothing gets old in this movie despite the bajilion superhero movies that followed since. There's a weird alchemy going on here, everything fell in its right place in a way that's impossible to replicate. I'll never get bored of it. The avengers assemble 360 alone, is one of the most iconic shots of 21st century cinema.

A.

It’s crazy how far superhero cinema has gone in six years. The Avengers changed the game but has been topped several times since. Yet there are still moments of euphoria and pure joy of seeing these characters meet each other for the first time. Choosing Loki as the bad guy is the film’s secret weapon; his connection to Thor allows the sheer surreal nature of the film to resonate from even before we’re introduced to any of the titular characters.

The third act is why this film is still a favorite of the genre, full of fantastic character beats and entertaining action, while having a gravitas the rest of the film lacks, despite the ever present one-liners. The Avengers isn’t as impressive today as it was in 2012, but it’s still a very enjoyable blockbuster that never fails to entertain today. B+

• Like 1