147 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Avengers

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I don't have time to write a proper review right now as I'm heading back out to see it again in about 10 minutes (I'm on 2.5 hours sleep), so I'll sum it up with this:Black Widow is maybe the best part of the movieHulk and Thor are pricelessHulk punches Thor after they help stop the bad guys...biggest laugh of the film"Why should we take orders from you?" Captain America then dispatches three bad guys and the cops do exactly as he saysPlaying Galaga.Hulk beating the shit out of LokiThis is the real deal. I love this film9/10

Hulk had the biggest lol moments. Back hand slap of Thor, bitch slapping loki at the end.My only real nitpick is, I thought Chitauri were on the weaker side.One complain I heard from the some critics was movies a bit on the slower side early on. Did we watch the same movie? Loki destroys Shield complex early on with getting mind controls over a few individuals than the Stuttgart fight, Thor fights vs IM, CA, and Hulk. I am not sure where the slowness I heard comes from. It is action packed from Beginning to end. Its a solid from me A. I need to watch couple more times before deciding where fits in my pantheon of SH movies. Biggest thing i actually loved was the humor. Whedon did a admiral job with this project. I am going back on Saturday after that viewing I will come up where TA places in SH genre.9.3/10 first viewing
  • Like 1

Hulk had the biggest lol moments. Back hand slap of Thor, bitch slapping loki at the end.My only real nitpick is, I thought Chitauri were on the weaker side.One complain I heard from the some critics was movies a bit on the slower side early on. Did we watch the same movie? Loki destroys Shield complex early on with getting mind controls over a few individuals than the Stuttgart fight, Thor fights vs IM, CA, and Hulk. I am not sure where the slowness I heard comes from. It is action packed from Beginning to end. Its a solid from me A. I need to watch couple more times before deciding where fits in my pantheon of SH movies. Biggest thing i actually loved was the humor. Whedon did a admiral job with this project. I am going back on Saturday after that viewing I will come up where TA places in SH genre.9.3/10 first viewing

The real summer blockbuster has humour in spades but also during the right moments. This does it fantastically. Don't remember the last time a blockbuster did this. I fall back on to my personal favourite Dead Man's Chest.Anyway, regarding the Chitauri, they weren't on the weaker side if they didn't just die when mothership was nucleared. Again, I repeat, they were supposed to be aliens or some sort of species, (I have no clue if this is real in the comics) so to see them deactivate was pretty lame.
  • Like 1

I don't remember either.You are right. I was laughing so hard through out the movie, its not a joke.What I mean by weak? Cap was the only one who was pushed by Chitauri even BW and Hawkeye weren't. This problem will easily be fixed by the next villain. Thanos. With him being confirmed, sequel is gonna be epic. He alone is strong enough to beat the team up so it will very interesting to see how Marvel approach them.Does anybody know who the general, thats talking to Thanos?

Edited by druv10
  • Like 1

I don't remember either.You are right. I was laughing so hard through out the movie, its not a joke.What I mean by weak? Cap was the only one who was pushed by Chitauri even BW and Hawkeye weren't. This problem will easily be fixed by the next villain. Thanos. With him being confirmed, sequel is gonna be epic. He alone is strong enough to beat the team up so it will very interesting to see how Marvel approach them.Does anybody know who the general, thats talking to Thanos?

They had a little montage of them being overwhelmed a bit, but it was too short to have any effect, especially because it's that that leads to Iron Man basically guiding the warhead into the portal and ending everything.Hmm...come to think of it the villain is actually the hardest part to get right and Avengers whilst being really fun hadn't a great villain.I thought it was the balancing of superheroes but Whedon managed it to perfection, but as I said, the superheroes can be balanced but what threat could they face that we believe them to actually be in peril? Avengers softened the blow with the destruction of or at least the maiming of their headquarters and airship and conflict between each Avenger, but yeah, you're right they never were particularly hurt.Thing is, which would of course hurt their brand but boost quality is to actually have an Avenger die. I mean, sure, it's a cop out way of emotion/attachment/stakes etc but at least it makes it more believable. I think Iron Man should be killed off. I love RDJ the most, but he can have a hopefully superb Iron Man 3 to wash off Iron Man 2 and end his franchise on a high and then be the main focal point in the Avengers 2. Then Feige can try his James Bond Iron Man hogwash. You can't really kill Thor or Captain or Hulk and no one really cares about Hawkeye or Black Widow much.

They had a little montage of them being overwhelmed a bit, but it was too short to have any effect, especially because it's that that leads to Iron Man basically guiding the warhead into the portal and ending everything.Hmm...come to think of it the villain is actually the hardest part to get right and Avengers whilst being really fun hadn't a great villain.I thought it was the balancing of superheroes but Whedon managed it to perfection, but as I said, the superheroes can be balanced but what threat could they face that we believe them to actually be in peril? Avengers softened the blow with the destruction of or at least the maiming of their headquarters and airship and conflict between each Avenger, but yeah, you're right they never were particularly hurt.Thing is, which would of course hurt their brand but boost quality is to actually have an Avenger die. I mean, sure, it's a cop out way of emotion/attachment/stakes etc but at least it makes it more believable. I think Iron Man should be killed off. I love RDJ the most, but he can have a hopefully superb Iron Man 3 to wash off Iron Man 2 and end his franchise on a high and then be the main focal point in the Avengers 2. Then Feige can try his James Bond Iron Man hogwash. You can't really kill Thor or Captain or Hulk and no one really cares about Hawkeye or Black Widow much.

Thanos will more than make up for the villain in TA2.

I'm giving The Avengers the same grade as I gave The Dark Knight, a C.I was misled by the early viewers who were calling it as good as TDK or the best SH movie. That's no problem, I don't mind my expectations get shot a little, but the movie was merely all sizzle before I saw it, and also while seeing it. To be fair I certainly didn't get most of the jokes and callbacks. But all good movies are multi layered. This was not. The most rehashed scene was Black widow wriggling out of her Russian prison. Done many times in other films, and better. The way Loki trapped Thor by teleporting/illusions was the only part where The Avengers had intrigue. Reminded me of Speed, which was, I seem to recall, written by Joss Whedon.Mark Ruffalo was my favorite actor in The Avengers; he does steal scenes, not from RDJ or Hemsworth, but from the previous two incarnations of Bruce Banner. He was brilliant in Zodiac, prominent in Shutter Island, and unrecognisable in Eternal Sunshine...This movie has no surprises, except when it comes to disappointments like when the Chitauri get taken out in the end. I have to agree with whomever said XMFC was better. It simply was. Kevin Bacon was accused of being bland by some but his role was meatier than Hiddleston's.The biggest problem with the lack of surprises is that the fights in the climax have little ebb and flow. At no point in an action scene does good-bad-good stuff happen. There is no suspense. There's no weight, and therefore no momentum. This could easily have been rectified if the proper writers were hired as consultants. Hollywood cannot make intelligent action-ish popcorn movies. So C is the score. I think my grade matches the tone of my review. Some reviews here were likable to mine but (twice) B was given. Another anomaly in the indolent film watching of Hollywood's target audience.

• Like 1

Thing is, which would of course hurt their brand but boost quality is to actually have an Avenger die. I mean, sure, it's a cop out way of emotion/attachment/stakes etc but at least it makes it more believable. I think Iron Man should be killed off. I love RDJ the most, but he can have a hopefully superb Iron Man 3 to wash off Iron Man 2 and end his franchise on a high and then be the main focal point in the Avengers 2. Then Feige can try his James Bond Iron Man hogwash. You can't really kill Thor or Captain or Hulk and no one really cares about Hawkeye or Black Widow much.

Agreed, as much as I enjoyed the film they played very fast and loose with the physics of the world and the heroes frequently felt a little too immune at times. Seeing Tony get sucked into a huge jet turbine and then cutting to RDJ's face gently going from side to side in the suit didn't exactly heighten the suspense. A nitpick, perhaps, but the cumilative effect was felt. Edited by Hatebox

Another anomaly in the indolent film watching of Hollywood's target audience.

Dislike the film if you want, but leave other people out of it. Some of us just want to be entertained by a film and don't let the supposed flaws you point out affect our enjoyment of it. We're not taking a class in film criticism here. Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 6

Does anybody know who the general, thats talking to Thanos?

Just read this on iMDB:

There is a scene part way through credits: Marvel Character Thanos appears with The Red Skull by his side. They are both looking down on Planet Earth with Thanos smiling, stating that they underestimated Earth.

Very entertaining overall, albeit like cotton candy. It doesn't really stick with you. But Whedon did a nice job incorporating all the characters and dealing with an unwieldy storyline. It certainly sagged a good bit in the middle (I'm not enough of a fan to really care that much about all of them sitting around and talking -- it came perilously close to Lucasian "counsel" dialogue occasionally).

Nor do I really care about Thor or Loki that much -- I thought the CG aliens were a boring lot also. And Renner didn't have much to do at all.

But there is something childlike and awesome about the Hulk smashing things up and overall it was very enjoyable -- although my eyeballs feel a bit raped after watching it in 3D.

B

• Like 1

I didn't need the random Thanos mid-credit sequence (really, Marvel? Just hold back until you start teasing the sequel!), but the end-credit scene was hilarious. Pitch-perfect and not overdone at all.

Reading the comments here make me remember a couple of other things: TF3, to some small degree, stole TA's thunder -- the battle for Manhattan was really similar to the Chicago conclusion of TF3. Too bad, I probably would've appreciated it a bit more here, instead of it feeling somewhat passé. Still, obviously much more heart to the TA version -- although I'm sick and tired of aliens/soldiers/devices/robots that are all handily remote-controlled to some mothership. LAME. LAME. LAME.

"Puny god" (and the moment just before) = the absolute highlight of the film. You can't go wrong with Hulk.

• Like 2

I was wondering the same thing. This movie was not slow at all. I had a riot with the entire thing. Yeah, I had a few nitpicks here and there, but, I would figure what we don't get here, will be saved for the sequels. Can't have all of the great shit happen in the first movie, you know.First off, love the characters, there is not one bad character/cast member in this movie. The ones who stood out for me were Loki, Captain America and Bruce Banner. Agent Coulson was also incredibly adorable in this movie. My favorite moments would definitely have to be any of the comedic ones, while some of the action moments mostly were with Captain America, and surprisingly, Hawkeye.

B.I am not a comic book person and I have come to accept the fact that no matter how much praise a comic book movie gets, i'll never get what other people do from it. As comic book movies go it was pretty much par the course for me.The things I liked the most:1. The little bitchfest The Avengers had with each other/the general snark towards each other. A+ especially to Iron Man laughing at the Shakespeare in the Park bit Thor and Loki had going. My eyes had been rolling at how silly that whole part was but then I burst out laughing when it was so aptly summed up.2. The Hulk!!! My MVP. I wasn't even expecting for him to be such a badass but the scene where he smashed Loki got the biggest applause of the movie. I'm pretty sure out of the corner of my eye I saw some people standing up to applaud.3. Captain America's face :ca::wub:.Things I could have done without:1. I found all the dialogue between Thor and Loki to be awful.2. Loki was too over the top for me, veering on the edge of being a caricature.3. Thor's hair looked like it needed a good deep conditioning and Loki's hair looked greasy at times .

On second viewing i'll upgrade to a B+. I think my expectations were too high the first time. The Avengers isn't a great movie by any stretch of the imagination but it's a great summer movie. Everything I loved, I loved more the second time and everything I didn't care for didn't bother me as much except for Thor and Loki's hair. Asgard hair styling stays losing. I guess Loki was too much of a little bitch too but that still worked out because The Hulk smashing him had the best reaction i've ever seen in a movie theater. People were howling with laughter/cheering/bringing the house down both times.And you know a movie was fun when you've seen it twice and you still want to go see it one more time.
  • Like 1

IDK I was entertained but there are just too many praises being given to this film and I honestly don't see anything special about it I was thinking of giving it an 8 to avoid stoning but I'll stand my ground and give it a 7 Well a 7.5 merely cause of ScarJo and her T&A in that gorgeous outfit

• Like 1