147 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Avengers

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

He should be. He can't beat Hulk but she should be able to hold his own for a while. Loki's stronger than all the Avengers bar Thor and Hulk, and he held his own against Thor.It was an out of character moment to get some laughs. It got the laughs, but at the expense of Loki's character.

He should be. He can't beat Hulk but she should be able to hold his own for a while. Loki's stronger than all the Avengers bar Thor and Hulk, and he held his own against Thor.It was an out of character moment to get some laughs. It got the laughs, but at the expense of Loki's character.

Strength has never been part of his powers and ability. He is stronger than average human but no where near Hulk and Thor. The scene you are talking about is Hulk surprised him.

I just came back from my 4th viewing. I still loved it. I have to say its holding up well with repeat viewing. Only complain still stands Loki/Chitauri should have been stronger. Thanos will more than make up for that though. My grade is still a solid A. 9.4/10

Saw it for my 4.9th time last night and lord help me, I'm itching to see it again. I seriously need to hold off for at least a day or two, but it's a really fun crowd experience movie, so it's fun to see it while the theaters are still packed.Noticing some really nice nuances in many of the performances (other than Cobie Smulders of course), they really did knock it out of the park from an ensemble standpoint. One of the few things that still bugs me a little are the random rescue-the-tiny-group-of-civilians bits like Hawkeye taking the time to lift a kid through the window of the bus. But it's a very comic book thing to do, so it's just a minor irritant at this point.Another fun detail - When the outdoor restaurant starts getting shot up in the finale, 2 waitresses scurry for cover (including the blonde we later see interviewed) and the brunette keeps hold of the check as she runs inside. Sure, the world may be ending, but have to keep my tip!
  • Like 1

BThis was as good as could be hoped for. It's not easy having more than two or three main characters but they managed pretty well, giving every one an opportunity to shine. Still, you don't get as invested emotionally as with films concentrating on a single or two characters, so the action and dialogue have to be more entertaining (see Kelly's Heroes, a film having similar obstacles).The build-up of the team was handled well, some of the frictions between characters were funny but phony - IronMan/Cap should have a better start considering Cap knew Tony's father; the IronMan/Thor-fight was plain silly and uncalled-for. And why Tony would want to provoke Dr. Banner is beyond me :)The build-up of the antagonist(s) was weak in comparison, Loki's army were just redshirts in disguise, they never were a palpable threat. Loki was good but not as good as in "Thor" - the script gave him only very simple motivations.The action was fun. Not very thrilling because the attackers were simply too weak or too few, but nice to watch and with many funny scenes, catching the often campy spirit of the colourful pages. Really one of the best comic-book adaptions.Apart from a hero standing out, what was missing (imho) was the danger. Coulson excepted (another red-shirt), everyone received some minor scratches and that was that (Cobie Smulders even looked cute with that cut above the eye). How about some serious damage to the mortal bodies? For a moment I thought Tony had overstretched his luck while closing the gate but even that scene was played for laughs.Did I like it? Yep, it's a great superhero film, fun and entertaining and campy; we'll get it on BD too. Was it perfect? For my taste, no: I hope they generate a much more complex "villain" or threat for the sequel, as well as more danger to the heroes.

• Like 1

Pretty good for a summer blockbuster. The characters had more chemistry than most films of this type, so it's a pity the audience wasn't given more reasons to care about them. I understand that's the price to pay for giving near equal screen time to several characters, but it felt a bit awkward when Coulson died because his character wasn't built up enough to give the audience a sense of his importance. The plot felt so lethargic for the longest time after that, followed by a sudden recovery that felt a little bit jarring as well.Good action, and the battles weren't overlong and boring like TF3's. The plot was admittedly weak but the film was a lot of fun and the humour was great.The post converted 3D was decent at first, though a bit spotty throughout the film. I had to remind myself I was looking at 3D a few times. Technical aspects were otherwise great, but I can't remember anything about the score.B

• Like 1

Finally saw it, epic film loved it despite some of the corny and often cringeworthy dialogue.A-From what I gathered Hulk is the strongest, Thor second and it seemed to be a tie between IM and CA, CA looked the most useless in this movie.

Rather disappointed by this after hearing the enormous praise. It has its moments but on the whole this is really just another brainless popcorn flick. The script was high on cheese and low on wit, which is understandable for a superhero movie but to hear the comparisons to TDK is really bizarre to me. This is a decent flick but it doesn't deserve half the money it's making. I can name half a dozen superhero movies that are far superior. I will give it points for character development, though, which is refreshing for this type of movie. The visuals are also stunning.B

• Like 2

Rather disappointed by this after hearing the enormous praise. It has its moments but on the whole this is really just another brainless popcorn flick. The script was high on cheese and low on wit, which is understandable for a superhero movie but to hear the comparisons to TDK is really bizarre to me. This is a decent flick but it doesn't deserve half the money it's making. I can name half a dozen superhero movies that are far superior. I will give it points for character development, though, which is refreshing for this type of movie. The visuals are also stunning.B

While my grade is higher (A-) I do understand where you're coming from. I've seen it twice, and while it's the perfect summer action popcorn blockbuster, it does lack the substance of some of the other best in the genre. I def rank TA in my top 10 sh/comic book movies, but atm somewhere around 6-10 after TDK, SM2, BB, IM1, and V for Vendetta...it's battling with B89 and SM1 currently.
  • Like 1

It was a highly entertaining film, nothing more. Also, I thought the final act was a little disappointing. There was no big showdown between Loki and 1 or more of the Avengers. Instead, they decided have Hulk kick his ass and throw him around like a barbie doll so we could see the Avengers kill a bunch of no-name alien soldiers instead. It just felt so stupid because Loki made a badass and memorable entrance at the very start of the film.B+

It was a highly entertaining film, nothing more. Also, I thought the final act was a little disappointing. There was no big showdown between Loki and 1 or more of the Avengers. Instead, they decided have Hulk kick his ass and throw him around like a barbie doll so we could see the Avengers kill a bunch of no-name alien soldiers instead. It just felt so stupid because Loki made a badass and memorable entrance at the very start of the film.B+

agreed and in the middle of the film as well. The final fight was a couple of seconds and he lost.

A lot of people are complaining about Loki getting owned by the Hulk, and yeah that sucks for making his character seem weak, but it was the best, most crowd pleasing moment in the film. It took the audience a full minute to stop laughing/buzzing from that scene. Whether it creates a plot hole or not, I'd say it was a success and a good decision. The movie was never meant to be serious and highly substantive. Anyone who goes in there expecting V for Vendetta had the wrong idea about the movie to begin with.

A lot of people are complaining about Loki getting owned by the Hulk, and yeah that sucks for making his character seem weak, but it was the best, most crowd pleasing moment in the film. It took the audience a full minute to stop laughing/buzzing from that scene. Whether it creates a plot hole or not, I'd say it was a success and a good decision. The movie was never meant to be serious and highly substantive. Anyone who goes in there expecting V for Vendetta had the wrong idea about the movie to begin with.

Loki's physical strength is on par with Thor, with whom he had a fight and held his own in the movie. He also had a earlier fight with Cap, whom he seemed able to defeat easily, got a couple blasts from Iron Man at different times, chased Black Widow on those airships, and received a "fuck you" arrow from Hawkeye. He was due an encounter with the Hulk.And Hulk slapping Loki around would not cause a plot hole. Edited by Jay Beezy

Lol Did not review this film.This is a hard film to grade because its not a bit strange.The storyline is nothing special at all. Many comic book films like Spider Man 2, X2, FC and TDK have much better storylines.However, the entertainment and fun factor perhaps greater then all those films and more so then many films recently.It was the most enjoyable time at a movie theater that I can remember.A

• Like 1

B+This is everything you want from a summer blockbuster - indeed in terms of pure fun and adventure, I would have to go back to Star Trek to find a summer blockbuster of similar quality. I was very skeptical that this could be pulled off. I thought with the multitude of characters that needed to be focused on, it would inevitably devolve into a mindless mess of scripting but it really did not. It gave every character 'their' moment and their interactions all felt very natural.On the flip-side the story really was kind of average if you broke it down. It moved well enough at the time, and the constant stream of one-liners helped hide that fact during the actual movie. But when you sit back and think about it there really isn't that much there. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing, but for me, a movie needs a strong story to hit that 'A' grade and that is why I am not giving it one.Ultimately in many ways this is the best comic book movie out there. I still rate Nolan's batman films as better, but when I think 'Comic Book movie' I think light-hearted romp like X-men or Spiderman or now The Avengers, not a dark and gritty film like TDK. So yes, I certainly give this my highest recommendation if you are a fan of comic book movies.

• Like 1

Saw it for the second time today about 2 weeks after the first.I'd have to say some jokes still play very well, screening was sold out in a small screen but it lacked the fantastic crowd atmosphere of the first and without that, it is taken down a notch. Some movies are great regardless of crowd experience but some obviously are elevated when you have a fantastic crowd with you, especially comedies and blockbusters.I still like it a lot, but have settled on a grade for it.

There's a comment on hsx that says that Joss Whedon's lack of skill regarding the technical aspect of the film is 'astounding'. His username is 'jmr'. What's his deal? What does he have against Whedon? And did anyone really find any problems with the technical aspect?