grim22

It’s Me. Hi. I’m The Eras Tour Weekend Thread | 39M Friday

2 hours ago, Eric Feels 22 said:

I’m taking my mom in a couple hours and I dread that fateful moment when I am trapped in an IMAX with screamers for three hours. This is my Guantanamo Bay.

Actually my audience has been lovely. A couple poeple in the aisle, some singing a long, lots of people filming with reckless abandonment (lol fuck the FBI)

Damn low 90's would be a little bit disappointing (Just in terms of how crazy pre-sales were in the beginning). This movie is still gonna be a huge success but I'm really shocked it didn't do 125-150M. Still a huge success all around for theaters since October was pretty dead. In the end I actually think the Taylor Swift release will end up helping most of the films out currently, since they serve as counter-programming. We're seeing really great solid small drops all around with existing films that are out. And weekday numbers should be stronger than usual I'd assume since the movie won't be playing Mon-Wed. Which means a ton of screens will be given back to Exorcist, Creator, Saw X and Paw Patrol. 

Overall this is a win win for pretty much every film out right now. I'm really curious what the 2nd weekend for Taylor Swift is gonna look like. Does it crash and burn? Or are there a good amount of pre-sales for the 2nd weekend that things will not be that bad. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Giorno said:

Swift as a singular artist is 2nd only to MJ in terms of star power/commercial dominance imo

Bffr. The Beatles, Madonna, Britney Spears were much bigger. Even recently Rihanna and Adele have a much wider reach than taylor. They simply don't have as huge or dedicated fanbase as Swift. Especially Rihanna who is very dependent on the casual listeners compared to other listeners. 

I personally believe there isn't any popstar in the last 15 years that peaked as high as Justin Bieber or even Lady Gaga. People often forget how easy it is now  especially in western countries to ignore artists you don't care about. With the rise of streaming and the fall of radio if you didn't want to hear its easy that wasn't the case when radio dominated 

Edit: Y'all are definitely affected by recency bias. 

Edited by Wandavisionlover0924
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

Bieber couldn’t even finish his recent stadium tours because it didn’t sell well, Harry Styles is much bigger than him currently.

And if talking abt fame like people knowing his name, Bieber is still pretty damn big of course, but people don’t pay for him like they used to do .

If you want to know who is more worldwide relevant, google trend can only prove one’s celebrity energy. Spotify monthly listeners and streams somehow show how many people actually listen to his/her music.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

Rihanna never had bigger albums than Taylor even in her prime and when Taylor was country. 

Rihanna was one of the biggest hitmakers but her albums don't sell like Taylor, never did. 

Never mind 

Edited by Dreamss

33 minutes ago, Wandavisionlover0924 said:

Bffr. The Beatles, Madonna, Britney Spears were much bigger. Even recently Rihanna and Adele have a much wider reach than taylor. They simply don't have as huge or dedicated fanbase as Swift. Especially Rihanna who is very dependent on the casual listeners compared to other listeners. 

I personally believe there isn't any popstar in the last 15 years that peaked as high as Justin Bieber or even Lady Gaga. People often forget how easy it is now  especially in western countries to ignore artists you don't care about. With the rise of streaming and the fall of radio if you didn't want to hear its easy that wasn't the case when radio dominated 

Gaga never had Taylor's force at her peak tho.

58 minutes ago, eman92 said:

Damn low 90's would be a little bit disappointing

It’s gonna make 89M, obviously. 

I said this before. 

(Grant it, I said 189, but I still said 89M)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Maggie said:

Pop girls don't have a big shelf life. Even Madonna struggles. She's not what she once were.

Taylor fans better enjoy it. She has reached her peak

She's been around for 17 years now. This comes off as you thinking she's some flash in the pan, which is clearly not the case.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Wandavisionlover0924 said:

Watch it. I posted numbers, context, while saying Tay Tay was one of the biggest stars ever, but also asked if we can compare her to other monstrous stars like who you mentioned that are in her OWN ERA before anointing her with a guy who at his apex was arguably (tier 1 argument) the most famous artist in modern music history. I got scorched by the swifties - got called names, racist (even tho I was one of the people who defended Taylor Swift when people claim Kanye West made her famous). A lootttaaa people got mad. Just mentioning to ya to prepare yourself. These Swifties are different. Lol!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fmpro said:

On a F13 weekend with nothing to do and to not be a Swifti(or whatever) i decided to all Jason and see all movies from the start. Just finished VIII in Manhatten.

They are not as good as i remember as a child 😅  but i still enjoy all the TAK

Cheers @baumer

This is so awesome to read, It seriously makes me all warm and fuzzy knowing someone's watching all the Friday the 13ths. In my humble opinion I think the first five are all completely awesome yes even number five LOL and I happen to think that Friday the 13th the final chapter is actually the best horror movie ever made. Everything after 5 isn't that great especially 8 and Jason goes to space. But I do like Freddy versus Jason and the remake. Yesterday I also watched two of them and I think I'm going to watch another one today. So cheers to you brother.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, KGPatt2 said:

She's been around for 17 years now. This comes off as you thinking she's some flash in the pan, which is clearly not the case.

I agree with you 100%. And it's not just that she's been around for 17 years, she's been an absolute freaking giant in the industry. And her popularity now is probably at its Apex, it's at least bigger than it's ever been. I don't know another musical Star right now who could open a concert film at theaters to 75 or 80 million or whatever it's going to open to. That's just ridiculously insane.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Taylor89 said:

Peak Gaga was pretty damn (2009-2011) big so imma put some respect on that era. She was pretty much getting all the hype Taylor is now. Difference is Taylor sustained it. Gaga had a dip after born this way with her art pop release and hasn’t quite been as bright since (she’s obviously still huge but we’re splitting hairs here).

Adele between 2011-2015 attained heights Taylor hasn’t yet album sales wise. Opening week record (although with streaming which I think should be asterisked or separated after like 2014) and she had an album that was being called the Thriller of the digital era. Hard to get bigger than the biggest seller of the 21st century. But again: she went away and when she came back it while she was still huge, it was a slight dip compared to that (with the 30 album).

Drake has more hits than her in the streaming era and is also being compared to MJ (it’s always MJ notice that?)

rihanna has sold more than her and has more number 1s.

where Taylor gets all of them at is just sustained album opening week dominance, concert sales, and fandom. This movie record is bonkers too- no one has done that- tho Em and Prince arguably did it a little differently (number 1 album, number 1 song and movie etc) - but this is just a concert film- not a feature flick. So Taylor has that- I don’t see this being beat for long time. That’s a feather in her cap for sure. 

I’m sure this will make some others upset I’m not trying to cause any debates! Just mentioning that there are still other monstrous artists competing with Taylor and while she may be ahead of the pack can we acknowledge these other heavy hitters before saying she’s MJ / Beatles / Elvis / Madonna status?

Is it that her tour numbers and pop culture megastardom from this year has vaulted her over all those others as like a cherry on top to her career? Would love another viewpoint thanks! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wandavisionlover0924 said:

Britney was definitely not bigger

8 minutes ago, jaybox said:

Peak Gaga was pretty damn (2009-2011) big so imma put some respect on that era. She was pretty much getting all the hype Taylor is now. Difference is Taylor sustained it. Gaga had a dip after born this way with her art pop release and hasn’t quite been as bright since (she’s obviously still huge but we’re splitting hairs here).

Adele between 2011-2015 attained heights Taylor hasn’t yet album sales wise. Opening week record (although with streaming which I think should be asterisked or separated after like 2014) and she had an album that was being called the Thriller of the digital era. Hard to get bigger than the biggest seller of the 21st century. But again: she went away and when she came back it while she was still huge, it was a slight dip compared to that (with the 30 album).

Drake has more hits than her in the streaming era and is also being compared to MJ (it’s always MJ notice that?)

where Taylor gets all of them at is just sustained album opening week dominance, concert sales, and fandom. This movie record is bonkers too- no one has done that- tho Em and Prince arguably did it a little differently (number 1 album, number 1 song and movie etc) - but this is just a concert film- not a feature flick. So Taylor has that- I don’t see this being beat for long time. That’s a feather in her cap for sure. 

I’m sure this will make some others upset I’m not trying to cause any debates! Just mentioning that there are still other monstrous artists competing with Taylor and while she may be ahead of the pack can we acknowledge these other heavy hitters before saying she’s MJ / Beatles / Elvis / Madonna status?

Is it that her tour numbers and pop culture megastardom from this year has vaulted her over all those others as like a cherry on top to her career? Would love another viewpoint thanks! 

I think this whole debate stems from the fact that while Taylor has always been famous worldwide, her music and vibe has always been incredibly American. Her country roots just made her been seen as something very American by the rest of the world, so while she has been huge in America for the longest time, she hasn't been actually as big(while still being big) in the rest of the globe.

She's only truly gone global recently.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 5

I'm not the biggest fan of Taylor historically (the white victimhood/friendship bracelet/human Pumpkin Spice thing isn't my steez) but I gotta admit that song Cruel Summer that is burning up the charts years too late is very very good. Really showed me me something with that. Also like how her and Kelce are pissing off weird MAGA people online, and like her support of the theatrical business. I might be turning around on Taylor. Maybe she's a 100,000th impression sort of gal. 

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Heart 1

13 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I think this whole debate stems from the fact that while Taylor has always been famous worldwide, her music and vibe has always been incredibly American. Her country roots just made her been seen as something very American by the rest of the world, so while she has been huge in America for the longest time, she hasn't been actually as big(while still being big) in the rest of the globe.

She's only truly gone global recently.

Exactly. Until fairly recently she has a non factor in most parts of Latin America, Africa, and struggled in mainland Europe except for like the U.k. 

While there are other stars have dominated those places. Like Rihanna for example, is generally big in those areas 

14 minutes ago, Michael Gary Scott said:

Britney was definitely not bigger

Britney was HUGE  during her peak tho. Her debut album sold more than any of Taylor's and also it's important to take into context the state of music at the time. While Taylor is huge, if you don't care about her music, it's very escapable. People are streaming music now and are listening to less radio, making artists more ignorable than before. In the 90s and the 2000s, most people listened to radio so Britney was more inescapable than Taylor right now  and quite honestly any artists that became successful when streaming was becoming more popular ( Billie Eilish, Olivia Rodrigo, Lizzo, and Dua Lipa). 

1 hour ago, Taylor89 said:

I think she was. She was gigantic during her imperial phase. but just like Britney and Katy Perry she fell down very quickly and didn't sustain her dominance 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jaybox said:

Rihanna hasn't sold more. lol