grim22

It’s Me. Hi. I’m The Eras Tour Weekend Thread | 39M Friday

7 minutes ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

Y'all annoying me with this stan wars cause I wanna clock and drag, but I'm choosing to be civil. ❤️

That's GROWTH. Anyways, anyone saw any new or fun movies this weekend?

I'm trying to find new horror movies to watch ( not because of halloween or anything) I just love horror. 

But I heard Bottoms and Talk to Me we're very good 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Was checking Instagram followers, Salena Gomez is way way ahead of other singers for some reason followed by Beyonce, Beiber and Swift.

Beloved because of music, wizards of waverly place and her general persona in media

1 minute ago, Wandavisionlover0924 said:

I'm trying to find new horror movies to watch ( not because of halloween or anything) I just love horror. 

But I heard Bottoms and Talk to Me we're very good 

Bottoms isn't horror and TTM is pretty solid

If you're interested in something from last year, check out X, Pearl and Bodies Bodies Bodies

1 hour ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Gaga had Taylor’s cultural cache at her peak, and was a bigger, more global hit maker. Poker Face and Bad Romance might be bigger than any Taylor song. Even Shallow is bigger than any post-1989 song from TS.

Her impact in the pop culture zeitgeist was massive in 2009-2011. Prob bigger than Taylor at any point. But again, no one really beats Taylor when you combine every aspect of an artist‘s success. 

Also, I thought this convo was meant to be from a domestic perspective? Worldwide is a whole other ballgame. Prob no one will ever come close to MJ if we’re talking WW. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wandavisionlover0924 said:

More people would know Bad Romance, Just Dance, and Born This way than both of those songs

Born This Way is definitely not bigger than Anti-Hero. Only Bad Romance, Just Dance and Poker Face are. Taylor in general had a much more consistent career than Gaga. And in the US none of Gaga albums have outsold Fearless or 1989.

Edited by Geopo

10 minutes ago, Bobzaruni said:

Bottoms isn't horror and TTM is pretty solid

If you're interested in something from last year, check out X, Pearl and Bodies Bodies Bodies

I watched those movies before. Bodies Bodies Bodies was SOLID but I didn't;t care for x and Pearl. They were both just ok and Pearl was unnecessary. I have no idea why it was created in the first place. I know the actress said she wanted to delve in deeper in the character but Pearl is not complex enough  to create an  an entire movie for. 

For me its hard to find good horror movie suggestions, because I mainly watch the genre now more than any other movie genre  so I pretty much seen a lot of the big horror movies in the last five years. I would love a new home invasion movie or a slasher that doesn't have the humor of Scream lol

20 minutes ago, Wandavisionlover0924 said:

More people would know Bad Romance, Just Dance, and Born This way than both of those songs

Selena is one of the luckiest artists ever. I have absolutely no idea how she got this far. IME she has always been just there. She has never dominated music ever while having big hits. She's not an artist that many people IME think of when they think of someone who makes bops. She has a nice and relatable personality but still. I think the reason why she is so popular is because of nostalgia. I grew watching her on tv and maybe her listeners did the same but kept following her afterwards

Um no I definitely don't agree that those songs are more known than Anti Hero and Cruel Summer at this rate. All are relatively equal outside of Born This WY which isn't even on the same league as the rest. 

As for Selena, she has a huge follower count because she has a big career outside of music. She is an actress and has a very successful makeup line, also she is just a social media guru.

25 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Her country pop songs were the best. "You Belong with me" is her best song and the only song that I remember off the top of my head without googling her discography. When she transitioned to being a pop star, I remember there being the discourse in country music that she sold out to the inner machinery of the Pop industrial complex.

Speak Now Taylor was peak Taylor for me. Even the Fearless songs like Love Story and YBWM have aged really well for me. I haven’t really been into her music since reputation.

17 minutes ago, Geopo said:

Born This Way is definitely not bigger than Anti-Hero. Only Bad Romance, Just Dance and Poker Face are. Taylor in general had a much more consistent career than Gaga. And in the US none of Gaga albums have outsold Fearless or 1989.

Shallow is also bigger than Anti-Hero. 

1 hour ago, rehpyc said:

Gonna go with 28M Sat.

There was a fair amount of tracking data that suggested a big drop from TFri was possible, but still thought there’d be enough capacity & walk-up business to keep it reasonable(ish)

… Guess not. Sub-$90M OW incoming if that number is even close, sliding in between the two Venoms for 3rd best in October 

16 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Her impact in the pop culture zeitgeist was massive in 2009-2011. Prob bigger than Taylor at any point. But again, no one really beats Taylor when you combine every aspect of an artist‘s success. 

Also, I thought this convo was meant to be from a domestic perspective? Worldwide is a whole other ballgame. Prob no one will ever come close to MJ if we’re talking WW. 

There’s people debating if Drake and Taylor have equaled or surpassed MJ.  They’re probably younger and I understand cause the way things are are probably all they’ve seen and can comprehend (I literally am the era of Taylor Swift and Drake aka Millennials btw the older squad saw Mariah, Whitney, Britney, Beyoncé, Backstreet Boys, NSync, Eminem, etc).

If you look at it contextually - imo I think MJ has a tier 1 argument (beatles do too etc just saying tier 1* level) for most famous artist ever - especially of the last 50 years. When counting worldwide it’s another level. At one point the man had the 1st and 2nd biggest selling albums of all time in a non-single sales driven era. 

When you bring someone into the MJ / Beatles / Madonna / Elvis (I don’t think Elvis is as big worldwide as the other 3 btw but in the US he’s propped and held up in insane fashion- also if people think someone else is up there all good just my opinions not trying to debate or get into the fandom wars)  - you’re going to split pop culture follicles into separation between the greatest of the great. Again there is no question, Taylor is one of the biggest stars ever etc. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jaybox said:

There’s people debating if Drake and Taylor have equaled or surpassed MJ.  They’re probably younger and I understand cause the way things are are probably all they’ve seen and can comprehend (I literally am the era of Taylor Swift and Drake aka Millennials btw the older squad saw Mariah, Whitney, Britney, Beyoncé, Backstreet Boys, NSync, Eminem, etc).

If you look at it contextually - imo I think MJ has a tier 1 argument (beatles do too etc just saying tier 1* level) for most famous artist ever - especially of the last 50 years. When counting worldwide it’s another level. At one point the man had the 1st and 2nd biggest selling albums of all time in a non-single sales driven era. 

When you bring someone into the MJ / Beatles / Madonna / Elvis (I don’t think Elvis is as big worldwide as the other 3 btw but in the US he’s propped and held up in insane fashion- also if people think someone else is up there all good just my opinions not trying to debate or get into the fandom wars)  - you’re going to split pop culture follicles into separation between the greatest of the great. Again there is no question, Taylor is one of the biggest stars ever etc. 

neither drake or taylor have an argument for being bigger worldwide stars than mj, he's basically the most famous non religious figure ever, you could find fans of him in tiny villages in developing countries in any part of the globe

• Like 2

I don’t think 20th century music artists can really be compared to 21st century artists. 21st century artists had to go through the physical, digital, and streaming eras of the music industry. There are so many variables that weren’t at play for artists back in the early days of the music industry and way more distractions. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Wandavisionlover0924 said:

Selena is one of the luckiest artists ever. I have absolutely no idea how she got this far. IME she has always been just there. She has never dominated music ever while having big hits. She's not an artist that many people IME think of when they think of someone who makes bops. She has a nice and relatable personality but still. I think the reason why she is so popular is because of nostalgia. I grew watching her on tv and maybe her listeners did the same but kept following her afterwards

All I know about Selena Gomez is that Only Murders in the Building is a great show and she rocks in it. I have no recollection of having ever heard one of her songs. In fact, in my mind she and Demi Lovato were interchangeable until Only Murders came out 

43 minutes ago, The GOAT said:When she transitioned to being a pop star, I remember there being the discourse in country music that she sold out to the inner machinery of the Pop industrial complex.

I thought she had put that conversation to bed with Folklore, that’s hardly something the “Pop industrial complex” would’ve wanted her to make. It’s also her best album by far, in the opinion of somebody who isn’t a fan of hers at all, that is 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, M37 said:

There was a fair amount of tracking data that suggested a big drop from TFri was possible, but still thought there’d be enough capacity & walk-up business to keep it reasonable(ish)

… Guess not. Sub-$90M OW incoming if that number is even close, sliding in between the two Venoms for 3rd best in October 

On 10/13/2023 at 12:39 PM, Porthos said:

82hr46.jpg

****SACTO'S DARK MAGIC STRIKES BACK :father:****

alt text: RIGHT FOR WRONG REASONS — BUT I'LL TAKE IT!!!

Edited by Porthos