Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | TAYLOR SWIFT $31M Estimate, KOTFM $23M

4 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Granted, it has a better release date for an adult drama, but I am not convinced Napoleon is headed for domestic gross over KOTFM. For one, Most (not all, just most) Americans know or care very little about world history so he's not exactly someone a lot of people are clamoring to know more about, especially given the weak trailer. If you're someone watching the trailer in a theater without the film's name being displayed on the video link, it's going to take a bit to realize the film is about Napoleon; and for some it won't be realized until his name appears on screen. I think people need to keep their expectations in check especially since DiCaprio is a far bigger draw than Phoenix.

I dunno, Joker did pretty well, so you can't say he's not a draw.

4 minutes ago, Curiouser and Curiouser said:

Joker is a massive comic book character. That's like pointing to Margot Robbie in Barbie and saying she must be a huge draw, in spite of the fact that nothing else has actually resonated at the box office much. 

OUATIH, WOWS were very successful at the box office.

9 minutes ago, Curiouser and Curiouser said:

Joker is a massive comic book character. That's like pointing to Margot Robbie in Barbie and saying she must be a huge draw, in spite of the fact that nothing else has actually resonated at the box office much. 

Before Barbie, Margot Robbie only had one movie at over $390m, but Suicide Squard which wasn't sold on her name. But she doesn't do mass appeal movies outside of the random Tarzan or Birds of Prey. Looking at her film choices, she seems to really want a Oscar before she hits 40.

Edited by Mojoguy

Tbh i do think most people beyond cinephiles aren’t interested in KOTFM, which makes sense, sadly i’m sure most people wouldn’t like to think about how their nation was founded represented so clearly on screen.

Like i said, it’s not the type of movie you see to be entertained. Some could argue Oppenheimer wasn’t as well, but there’s some sense of disconnect and spectacle on Oppie that makes the whole thing way less uncomfortable to watch.

Killers is a great movie, the audience scores show that people who want to see it are happy. The problem seems that most people simply don’t want to see it, doesn’t matter if it’s good.

Still hopeful for good legs tho, it would be nice to see a 100M DOM and for this type of movie a 4x multiplier isn’t exactly super hard. Not counting with it tho.

Edited by ThomasNicole

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Tbh i do think most people beyond cinephiles aren’t interested in KOTFM, which makes sense, sadly i’m sure most people wouldn’t like to think about how their nation was founded represented so clearly on screen.

Like i said, it’s not the type of movie you see to be entertained. Some could argue Oppenheimer wasn’t as well, but there’s some sense of disconnect and spectacle on Oppie that makes the whole thing way less uncomfortable to watch.

Killers is a great movie, the audience scores show that people who want to see it are happy. The problem seems that most people simply don’t want to see it, doesn’t matter if it’s good.

Honestly rather surprised it managed an A- because the whole thing was a punch in the gut and hardly a crowdpleaser.

Still, the weekdays will probably be total garbage. 3.5 hours grim drama during october weekdays? Yeah...

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

About that…

I don’t know, I will watch KOTFM eventually at home, but just like I wouldn’t call "film activism" to watch Barbie, The Marvels and etc, there is a certain pompous way that people talk about Scorsese and how important this film is that definitely rubs me the wrong way. This is the best review that this film could ever have, and while I’m sure that Scorsese poured his soul into this, it’s very much still told through the lens of an white man. A legend, one of the best of all time, but I do think it’s okay for people have conflicted feelings about the film, even when you look through a progressive lens:

5 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

I, Tonya success was all Robbie. The box office poison allegations are exaggerated. When she chooses a great project, people come 

I truly don’t think people understand how insanely popular Margot Robbie is. And this was true long before Barbie.

7 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Honestly rather surprised it managed an A- because the whole thing was a punch in the gut and hardly a crowdpleaser.

I'm actually more surprised it didn't get an A, considering it was mostly cinephiles going to see this film already, and you didn't have the general audience dragging it down.

12 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Still, the weekdays will probably be total garbage. 3.5 hours grim drama during october weekdays? Yeah...

Considering both how strong presales started before dying off pointing to a possible $40M initially, and the limited (non-existent?) walk-ups that caused projections to keep dropping through the weekend I imagine it’s because the opening weekend was probably disproportionately cinephiles.

Edited by Valencia
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I'm actually more surprised it didn't get an A, considering it was mostly cinephiles going to see this film already, and you didn't have the general audience dragging it down.

I don't exactly think cinephiles alone can drag a film to even double digits OW, but they are a much harder audience to please.

I'd buy it if we were talking about Silence, which did get an A, but that didn't even make as much worldwide as Killers' domestic OW...

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I truly don’t think people understand how insanely popular Margot Robbie is. And this was true long before Barbie.

Yeah that's why Amsterdam and Babylon both had single digit openings, she's super famous and people like her but masses are not buying tickets just cause she's the lead 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Still hopeful for good legs tho, it would be nice to see a 100M DOM and for this type of movie a 4x multiplier isn’t exactly super hard. Not counting with it tho.

At first I didn't think Oppenheimer would resonate with a lot of people but I do think the two wars going on right now really helped people connect with the movie. 

2 minutes ago, Giorno said:

Yeah that's why Amsterdam and Babylon both had single digit openings, she's super famous and people like her but masses are not buying tickets just cause she's the lead 

Meh, no actor is able to drive a big-budget movie to profitability in this day and age. That doesn't mean she is not a draw. Amy Schumer's Barbie would not have made even 1/10 as much money. She is a huge draw as the character of Barbie.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

About that…

I don’t know, I will watch KOTFM eventually at home, but just like I wouldn’t call "film activism" to watch Barbie, The Marvels and etc, there is a certain pompous way that people talk about Scorsese and how important this film is that definitely rubs me the wrong way. This is the best review that this film could ever have, and while I’m sure that Scorsese poured his soul into this, it’s very much still told through the lens of an white man. A legend, one of the best of all time, but I do think it’s okay for people have conflicted feelings about the film, even when you look through a progressive lens:

But that’s exactly the point. It’s a movie made by a white man to show to white people what their history was and still is. 

The lens being on the white man is not a random decision, the movie itself put a target on itself by exposing this very clearly. Of course i won’t go to spoilers here, but the very feeling that Christopher Cote expressed is discussed on screen for some good 10 minutes. 

Of course Cote have conflicted feelings towards it, this is 100% not a movie an Osage would made. It certainly represents them with extreme respect like he said, but it doesn’t really try to show their POV, i mean how Scorsese as a white man could? It takes an Osage to do that, which is basically another movie and why he’s conflicted about this is the movie made. This is a very important discussion about opportunities for POC filmmakers, but not really what we’re talking about it here.

It’s a very hard discussion that the movie doesn’t shy away from neither on screen or beyond that. The fact that Cote could go the premiere and say this shows a lot about how the production was tackled. 

Still, it is indeed an important movie like he also said it is because Scorsese did his best to show the only POV he could successfully show: the poisoned white vision. 

And this is exactly why i said people wouldn’t be comfortable with it. The movie is not just showing violence toward POC, it’s pointing fingers to who did it and why, making the audience endure the fact that this is their POV the whole time for 200 bleak minutes. This is only possible because they decided to shot it in the lens of the white man. 

Don’t read too much on twitter discussions, is the type of movie which is very easy to be trapped in a “right or wrong” online narrative when the movie itself is about rights and wrongs simultaneously, asking directly the audience to think about.

It was kinda sad seeing so many people using this video with Cote feelings to attack the movie and say they won’t watch even if Cote himself said it’s a movie that white people definitely should see. It was also sad seeing some people dismissing his conflicts to defends Scorsese from a discussion he put in the movie himself. Like i said, it’s an easy movie to put a right or wrong label on it even if it’s absurd to do that.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Giorno said:

Wrong projects, wrong timing. People find excuses for their darlings all the time. Case in point we don’t even need to go that far: KOTFM. The age that a film star could carry a film by their name alone hasn’t been a thing since the 20th century, I’m not sure why Margot Robbie is targeted so much with these when Will Smith, Leo DiCaprio or literally any of her male counterparts clearly can’t carry films by their names alone either.

7 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Meh, no actor is able to drive a big-budget movie to profitability in this day and age. That doesn't mean she is not a draw. Amy Schumer's Barbie would not have made even 1/10 as much money. She is a huge draw as the character of Barbie.

I'm not blaming her for amsterdam/babylon not being profitable but those openings were atrocious, a movie star should atleast be able to guarantee you a double digit/teens opening as the floor 

• Like 1