Bob Train

FNAF Weekend Thread (10/27-10/29) | $80m Opening Weekend | Blumhouse's Biggest Opener Ever | $14.7m The Eras Tour | $9.3m KOTFM

14 minutes ago, TMP said:

Yeah, I think it’s gonna go through - I can only imagine the DC properties that will be roaming Universal Parks in the 2030’s - but I still think it’s not great. Firms will always act in their own self interest first & foremost so I don’t see why Comcast wouldn’t see it as the easiest way of expanding at an exponentially fast rate. They would become the industry leader by a significant degree if that deal goes through; big enough to the point where apple would have to buy disney just to be competitive. I think that’s where my concerns come from - the kind of Hollywood landscape that mega mergers like this would create.

We have been slowly but surely moving into a world where only a handful of people basically own “everything”.

It’s been happening for the past 50 years, but it’s been accelerating lately, and oh boy, it’s going to fucking suck just as bad as all your favorite sci-fi books warned you.

• Sad 1

I’m fascinated to see the reminder of FNAF’s run beyond the weekend. Repeat viewings with friends etc. Feel like it will probably bow out largely by Thanksgiving, but does it have a realistic shot at 150-160 DOM at this point even D&D?

So, FNAF reviews are in from my 7 - 3 non-FNAF folks (the parents and boyfriend) and 4 FNAF fans.  

The theater loved it - clapping at the end and freakouts about the post credit hints (yes, stay to the end)...I'm gonna say I have never seen anyone give more to a non-sensible role than Josh Hutcherson.  It's like his "Jamie Lee Curtis in Halloween" role.  So, for the movie - some parts were hilarious (for their badness or their comedy, who knows but I was laughing) and I felt like when I watched Howard the Duck some years ago - but it gets kinda boring, especially near the end.  When it gets less silly, it gets less good...although I respect they actually created a plot non-fans could watch.  Not particularly scary...at all.  But something that can mostly keep the interest.  As for grades...

Me - C/C- Look it's not great, but it's serviceable and better than I thought it would be...and it's not hard to follow if you know absolutely nothing about the games

Spouse - G - yes, he made up a new grade b/c Detective Pikachu was an F- for him, and he said this movie made Detective Pikachu look like Citizen Kane (secretly, I think he said this for kid laughs)

Oldest girl - B - enjoyed it - said it was what she thought it was 

2nd oldest girl - B+ - loved it - said it was her generation's Rocky Horror Picture Show - since I can't stand that movie, yet my spouse loves it, I can see that...

Oldest boy - A- - thought it was hilarious - would have been an A, but he said the beginning was slow

Youngest boy - B+ - same as the other boy

Boyfriend - C- - he didn't get it - at all

So, there you have it.  I think "Rocky Horror Picture Show" for this generation might be the on point observation for the weekend for why Peacock was not good enough.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well, FNAF is basically the trifecta after The Last of Us and Mario earlier this year… the decades standing “video game adaptation curse” is officially over. I predict this time next decade we will be in full blown market saturation akin to CBMs circa 2015-2019. 

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

That’s the problem with the Disney moves of the last 15 years. They should have been blocked from grabbing Star Wars & 20th Century Fox. Those were nuclear moves against the other studios. If the other studios are now blocked from doing similar consolidation, they should sue to have Disney broken into pieces. 

There’s a lot of compatibility for Comcast & Warner. Lego Movie franchise is a great example. The Harry Potter rides at Universal theme parks. A bunch of Universal movies on HBO for many years. The Nolan connection. They would probably need to spin off CNN in some way to keep one of the major news networks from being in the same company as NBC News. 

I don't really understand the anti-acquisition case for Lucasfilm (I could understand if the concern was something like VFX concentration from ILM but I gather we're just talking about the "IP"). Lucas is retiring no matter what so someone is either buying or licensing these rights as Lucasfilm wasn't really doing all that much around 2010. As IJ5 showed, everything really is on a clock here as these rights are significantly declining as original actors age and buying old IP doesn't grant a perpetual right to u-25 male hearts. In a very real sense, Disney can't call a mulligan on Star Wars VII.   

How much net output declined because Disney bought Lucasfilm? What am I missing?

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

What the fuck? I've never heard of this movie or the property and its OD is almost $40m?

The age of the video game era in Hollywood is upon us. They are definitely going to phase out CBMs as the bread and butter over the next decade, I’d put money on it.

28 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The age of the video game era in Hollywood is upon us. They are definitely going to phase out CBMs as the bread and butter over the next decade, I’d put money on it.

Makes sense. Video games are extremely popular. Surprised they have not figured out a way in earlier years to really take advantage of that in the movie business. 

3 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Why are all you folks so anti-streaming? That, coupled with the FNAF surprise makes me think this forum is full of old people.

This is a movie forum, as in movie theaters. Companies choosing to forego theatrical dollars, shifting demand to try to boost their in their red streaming services is a problem for an industry already struggling to find enough high-demand content to get people off their couch and in the door  

I estimated previously that a day & date release drops an OW by ~15% (and an even higher share in legs). For a film on the level of FNAF, that’s over 1 million admissions (maybe 2!) that are forever lost to exhibitors, along with the memorable theatrical experience for this young generation 

Eventually the streaming market will contract, and find a balance with theatrical exclusive windows. But can only wonder how much damage will be inflicted before that conclusion is reached 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, M37 said:

This is a movie forum, as in movie theaters. Companies choosing to forego theatrical dollars, shifting demand to try to boost their in their red streaming services is a problem for an industry already struggling to find enough high-demand content to get people off their couch and in the door  

I estimated previously that a day & date release drops an OW by ~15% (and an even higher share in legs). For a film on the level of FNAF, that’s over 1 million admissions (maybe 2!) that are forever lost to exhibitors, along with the memorable theatrical experience for this young generation 

Eventually the streaming market will contract, and find a balance with theatrical exclusive windows. But can only wonder how much damage will be inflicted before that conclusion is reached 

Where's the proof, though? I see people saying this, but people were claiming this movie couldn't get as high of an opening weekend as it seems to be getting now due to piracy.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul
added the bit about piracy

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Where's the proof, though? I see people saying this, but people were claiming this movie couldn't get as high of an opening weekend as it seems to be getting now.

The proof has already been explained. When Warner Bros. did D&D releases with HBO (which is only a thing in America), all of their movies that were released under that strategy were more skewed to overseas, proving streaming simultaneous does indeed have a major effect.

Additionally, we saw how hard Halloween sequels tanked when they pulled their Peacock releases. The combination of low quality + streaming made the bar for getting people into theaters higher.

FNAF has massive fanbase that wanted to see it in theaters no matter what, 99.9% of movies do not have that. Even still, perhaps day and date shaved off -10% which ain't nothing.

• Like 3