XXRDJisDoctorDoom

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

45 minutes ago, vafrow said:

I'm skeptical.

Throwing big money to revisit the glory days of a franchise when the ship may already have sailed is what got them in trouble with Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

I don't think we really know if the fatigue we're seeing is indifference to the current MCU landscape, or if people have moved on in general.

If it's the latter, going big to bring back the original Avengers is just digging a bigger hole.

I personally lean towards it being more about people moving on. I look at my kids and their friends, all in the 9-11 age range. Superheroes are just not part of their dialogue right now. I feel like this generation is going to be pretty disconnected from it, seeing it as something that old people like. There was a bit of interest around ATSV, but limited.

I think it’s a bit of both, it might be worth it to start casting big teenager stars for their next superheroes, such as the new X-Men or F4. I distinctly recall teenager interest in Spider-Man going way up with the Tom Holland casting back then, do I recall that wrong?

Who are the big teen stars nowadays anyway? The Stranger Things cast? Euphoria stars? Heck, isn’t that girl who played a young Captain Marvel actually big right now?

Edited by Arlborn

32 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I would not compare getting RDJ/CE back to making another Indy movie with 80+ year old ford, 15 years after poorly received previous movie. RDJ/CE did exit on a high and they are insanely popular with the SH fans. I would rather compare them coming back even for just 1 or 2 movies would have the same level of excitement that we saw with Tobey coming back for No Way Home. 

But this does not help with long term. May be X Men or Fantastic Four help build characters who can achieve similar level of popularity. Or the ship has sailed for SH movies and Disney have to slow down dramatically on the content side and take time to build new excitement. 

I recognize it's not a one for one comparison. But going down that path leads to those budgets that people step back and question how you even got here.

Everything MCU feels like it's a risk, which means the odds of landing a gross like their top tier run is low. And, where my issue with a RDJ/Evans/ScarJo situation, is that we had such extensive runs from them. I don't think people are really clamoring for more.

You can bring them back to really muted reactions. And as you said, it doesn't lead to a stronger brand. It leaves you reliant on the same few actors.

But, I also have no idea. We've never seen a franchise like the MCU before, and figuring out how to navigate out of the current situation is honestly extremely difficult.

The closest thing we've ever had to the MCU of a franchise that had multiple connected films going all at once is the DCEU, which we know is a far cry from the MCU. And it's experiment to wind down and reboot is hardly an example to follow.

There's no playbook here, but modern corporate culture also means that Disney can't just sit it out and wait. 

14 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I think it’s a bit of both, it might be worth it to start casting big teenager stars for their next superheroes, such as the new X-Men or F4. I distinctly recall teenager interest in Spider-Man going way up with the Tom Holland casting back then, do I recall that wrong?

Who are the big teen stars nowadays anyway? The Stranger Things cast? Euphoria stars? Heck, isn’t that girl who played a young Captain Marvel actually big right now?

We don't really have stars in this generation, but, if you did throw money at the closest examples, actors with options aren't looking at locking into restrictive MCU contracts unless the pay cheques are hefty.

Jeremy Allen White's comments today I think reflects the mindset. When MCU was pretty much the best pathway to stardom, people were more willing to jump on board. 

A big part of the MCU formula was the locked in contracts that brought in some cost stability. That works when you're at the top of your game.

My understanding was that casting of the Fantastic Four movie has been bogged down by this issue. They want bigger names. But they don't want to overpay for characters that they'll need in multiple appearances.

23 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Why can't they just get new people? No one knew who Tom Holland was before he was cast as Spider-Man. Not sure why they've become so obsessed with big names. That was never what made the MCU great.

I mean The Marvels has Iman Vellani and their next release stars Alaqua Cox, both total unknowns.

42 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Why can't they just get new people? No one knew who Tom Holland was before he was cast as Spider-Man. Not sure why they've become so obsessed with big names. That was never what made the MCU great.

Because if getting the GA to fall in love with every new actor that comes along was so easy... every studio would do it.

---

Movies are hard to make.

Movies that the GA wants to see are even harder to make.

Movies that the GA consistently wants to see?  Harder still.

Like, I sometimes — no, scratch that... I often think people just do not realize how atypical the 2008-2021 run of the MCU was in Hollywood history.  Never mind hitting the lottery, it was like hitting the lottery four or five times in a row.  Just unheard of levels of sustained success.  

That the MCU has finally hit a rough stretch isn't surprising.  Law of averages alone guaranteed it was gonna happen sooner or later.  How it gets out from under this rough stretch, presuming it does?  That's the real question.

And if it had an easy answer (again, beyond, "make good movies that the GA wants to see"), every studio would be doing it for all of their films.

• Like 9

they should nuke Kang Dynasty and make Secret Wars a 2-parter. Majors has killed any interest in such a project, so they need a course correction. . If the rumors of Jackman, RDJ, Maguire, and Evans returning are true, it will be massive. And if they hide many of the returning characters like in NWH, even more so. 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

they should nuke Kang Dynasty and make Secret Wars a 2-parter. Majors has killed any interest in such a project, so they need a course correction. . If the rumors of Jackman, RDJ, Maguire, and Evans returning are true, it will be massive. And if they hide many of the returning characters like in NWH, even more so. 

The Kang Dynasty if going to be a part 1 type of movie anyway. They were planning to release both movies in the same year.

Edited by DInky

It being a two parter . Doesn't mean label it "part 1 and 2"

Cancelling  KD  and doing away with Kang completely would definitely mess up stuff and threads.

So forcing all the plotlines  to resolve in potentially 1 avenger  movie is just disaster and convuluted .

Think we agree this phase probably still needs 2 avenger movies . But some of us want Kang dealt of with completely bse I think even with a recast  , think damage done to his character is quite significant.

Secret war is a big story with lots of cameos and think 2 parter would be better doing it some justice .

Saga is a mess and was built on rocky foundation .

So… is it just generally accepted now that marvel will throw in the towel and get the old gang back together for an obscene amount of money? 

I see the short-term logic of course but once they’ve buggered off after a couple of movies will the problem have gone away? Do you really want a Star Wars situation where a supposedly expansive universe is trapped in the orbit of a handful of characters? 

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

So… is it just generally accepted now that marvel will throw in the towel and get the old gang back together for an obscene amount of money? 

I see the short-term logic of course but once they’ve buggered off after a couple of movies will the problem have gone away? Do you really want a Star Wars situation when a supposedly expansive universe is trapped in the orbit of a handful of characters? 

Just like the fanbase, I think they might be hoping that they can turn things around with F4 and X-Men after that.

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

I see the short-term logic of course but once they’ve buggered off after a couple of movies will the problem have gone away? Do you really want a Star Wars situation where a supposedly expansive universe is trapped in the orbit of a handful of characters? 

Just like a friend of mine said once they bring back the old characters  " marvel will truly be in crisis" . Basically put themselves in a creative bankruptcy hole that's pretty hard to get out  off.

16 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Feige has just said that bringing the fallen Avengers back has not been discussed.

I like the bit talking about the X-Men.

Gunn also said The Flash was a top tier CBMs, business heads lie all the time.

• Like 1