XXRDJisDoctorDoom

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

Just now, TMP said:

Midnighter alone is more interesting than everyone in the thunderbolts combined, it would be a huge deal to have a queer character with that many dimensions on a movie of this scale. They kind of need to get a solid writer though, and if the jeremy slater rumors are true then we can kiss that goodbye lol

I don’t trust any mainstream studio doing active LGBTQ representation in a blockbuster, even an R-rated one. They made Moondragon a kid in Guardians 3 to shy around it.

• Like 1

Just now, YM! said:

I’m aware of Beef’s strong critical reception and they seem to have faith in Thunderbolts being good, but you are aware of the very long and hard uphill battle it has to fight right. And just because reception is great for one project, means it’s necessarily a lock for the other. Chloe Zhao came off an Oscar and well look at Eternals.

I’d be immensely surprised if any of Beef’s beautiful discussions on generational trauma, economic disparities among second generation american immigrants, depression, religion and a need for existential purpose pop up in the Thunderbolts but Feige could always prove me wrong! Need to see Steve Yeun fight god in a literal sense now, I suppose

I generally don’t like superhero movies but I don’t pretend to not get their appeal. Cap 4… I still have no idea what they’re thinking. It’s a big ask to get people to pay for a movie follow up to a beloved tv show. But they’re asking people to pay for a movie follow up to falcon and the winter soldier.

So honest question: what am I missing? Is it really as simple as marvel believing “well it’s the new captain America, he’s got to have a movie (shrugs)”

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, YM! said:

I’m aware of Beef’s strong critical reception and they seem to have faith in Thunderbolts being good, but you are aware of the very long and hard uphill battle it has to fight right

Not really. So far the "uphill battle" is just literally starting production now that the strike is finally over.

11 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I generally don’t like superhero movies but I don’t pretend to not get their appeal. Cap 4… I still have no idea what they’re thinking. It’s a big ask to get people to pay for a movie follow up to a beloved tv show. But they’re asking people to pay for a movie follow up to falcon and the winter soldier.

So honest question: what am I missing? Is it really as simple as marvel believing “well it’s the new captain America, he’s got to have a movie (shrugs)”

When they started Captain America 4, they have a good amount of expectatives in Disney+ shows. Currently, that connection with Falcon and the Winter Soldier could be problematic, but it's too late to change that.

Also, they've invested too much on the Captain America 4, so they need to release that movie. Not to mention that they need a Captain American for future movies (and it's too late to replace Sam).

Edited by Kon

14 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Not really. So far the "uphill battle" is just literally starting production now that the strike is finally over.

What does Thunderbolts have to offer? The villainous/anti heroes team up has been done before with the Suicide Squad films, it has mainly a bunch of side characters no one outside the fandom really cares about, said characters barring Ghost and Sentry all share the same powers fundamentally, and the MCU is floundering right now. It needs to be exceptionally great and look one of a kind in order to stand out and as of right now, that’s very unfair to hope for and a high standard. 

As it stands right now, I have as much faith in it as I do Madame Web but Thunderbolts by nature should be bigger. I got far more faith in Cap 4 to do well enough because for better or worse, Falcon has more history and the concept was introduced in Endgame and I think Hulk stuff is more popular than anything Thunderbolts has to offer and I still think it’s likely to be a psuedo Avengers.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, YM! said:

What does Thunderbolts have to offer? The villainous/anti heroes team up has been done before with the Suicide Squad films, it has mainly a bunch of side characters no one outside the fandom really cares about, said characters barring Ghost and Sentry all share the same powers fundamentally, and the MCU is floundering right now. It needs to be exceptionally great and look one of a kind in order to stand out and as of right now, that’s very unfair to hope for and a high standard. 

Maybe we should wait for literally a single frame of footage to be shot and maybe we can find out

8 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Maybe we should wait for literally a single frame of footage to be shot and maybe we can find out

I mean we never waited for other superhero projects or even other blockbusters, why is Marvel a special exception. Sometimes a turkey is a turkey.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I can see Marvel still believing their own hype and just blaming The Marvels performance on the strikes 

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Let’s not forget that Cap 4 will be a follow up to a crappy show that came out four years prior 

I think Cap 4 has a much better set of circumstances than Marvels and can have the potential to break well, because the concept was directly stated at the end of Endgame so you don’t need the show to watch it or know Sam is the new Cap. It also helps the only new character is the new Falcon who never really had a presence on the show and Eli Bradley, who people liked. They’ll easily sell ads with it’s been “It’s been X amount of time since I’ve been Cap”.

There also isn’t as much of a targeted campaign against it as The Marvels. I do think making it incorporated with Hulk stuff is a good pitch to sell as there’s going to be the pitch of impossible odds of fighting a Hulk and the president unlike Marvels were the marketing sort of struggled to sell it. Methinks that an Avenger or two will likely be a key part of the cast to help as well. I got the most faith of it vs Thunderbolts and Blade. If it works, like really works, I think it could do Winter Soldier numbers but right now, I’m thinking Shang-Chi numbers.

Edited by YM!

58 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

So now being obscure is a bonus? Come on dude, even for you this is a reach.

In the current context of the comic book based media, yes, being obscure is less of a factor than you might think. First that you don't need to watch a bunch of bad series or movies to get what's happening, also the tone of the project can be closer to things like The Boys or Invincible than the milquetoast MCU drivel.

Also, the MCU "Thunderbolts" doesn't have any popularity at all, unlike anything before it it has no in built fanbase because it's unlike anything the team had before and it doesn't have a single character of the most popular incarnations of the IP. It's pretty much inheriting all the problems of shared universe works without having a single benefit.

Cap 4 is already shooting  so can't do anything about that . Only hope for the best.

F4 is F4.

Blade is cheap.

Thunderbolts well hasn't shot anything. If they are to  can something ,this should be the one.

Don't know how much will change . But cap4 and this were originally connected so one could hurt the other if Cap 4 ends up bad .

Just now, Liiviig 1998 said:

Cap 4 is already shooting  so can't do anything about that . Only hope for the best.

F4 is F4.

Blade is cheap.

Thunderbolts well hasn't shot anything. If they are to  can something ,this should be the one.

Don't know how much will change . But cap4 and this were originally connected so one could hurt the other if Cap 4 ends up bad .

Cap 4 is mainly done, a few added action scenes during reshoots isn't going to move the needle much. They waited too long to make it.