XXRDJisDoctorDoom

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

9 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

This makes me excited for a number of reasons.

One: Magneto is great but he's very, very, very overplayed. He's great, but you can only get so many versions of him and Xavier playing chess and saying "were friends but I will stop your methods" and etc.

Two: Sinister. Rules. There's a lot that they can do with him.

Three: It's been said before and I'll repeat it here - THE BEST X-MEN ARE WOMEN. It's not a coincidence so many of Marvels most iconic and famous female characters are also mutants. I'm hopeful that Cyclops will finally, finally get some kind of due, but not having the focus be Wolverine AGAIN alone is a step in the right direction.

Another flop incoming

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

That sounds terrible. Its screwed for sure. Marvels 2.0 incoming here. I think if X-Men flops Feige is gone for sure. 

Yeah it sounds very boring and forced, exactly like Madame web but with double the budget.

What is the point of having the X-Men if you are not going to use the best characters, and use the forced swiped genre ones?

Edited by Belakor
  • Knock It Off 2

The big problem with multiverse stuff is nobody can trust what they're watching to not be retconned. All of the Peter and MJ development from 3 Spider-man films goes out the window, for example. It's ridiculous. It's all a big confusing joke. 

Marvel is really just proving how on-point Nolan was for insisting his series was just one iteration of Batman that must have a beginning and end so that audiences trust what they're watching throughout the series. 

Edited by excel1

44 minutes ago, Belakor said:

Yeah it sounds very boring and forced, exactly like Madame web but with double the budget.

What is the point of having the X-Men if you are not going to use the best characters, and use the forced swiped genre ones?

...why do you assume they're gender swapping them and not just like having Jean Storm and Rogue on the team?

I don't see why your logic with The Marvels is "never have female superheroes appear again"

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

...why do you assume they're gender swapping them and not just like having Jean Storm and Rogue on the team?

I don't see why your logic with The Marvels is "never have female superheroes appear again"

I'd expect Jean Grey and Cyclops to co-lead, since Sinister is obsessed with Cyclops, and secondarily, Grey (enough that he clones her eventually) b/c he believes their 2 bloodlines combine to make the perfect superhuman.  

Not sure they are going with that type of plot line, but the fact Sinister is SO tied up with Cyclops in the comics (and secondarily Grey) that I'd expect it.

Cyclops, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Storm, Dazzler, Jean - could be a nice lineup.  I actually would like Magik, too just b/c she's fun with her brother, but she'd be hard to do on screen in a plot if you're really using her true powers...and I'd also like Emma, but mentalists tend to ruin plots quickly if they are a hero...and 2 mentalists means you have no plot...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Belakor said:

Maybe I'm out of the loop*, but aren't Storm, Rogue, and Jean Grey considered some of "the best characters" in the entire run of the comic?

* I am not out of the loop, ftr, I was employing a rhetorical device here

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'd expect Jean Grey and Cyclops to co-lead, since Sinister is obsessed with Cyclops, and secondarily, Grey (enough that he clones her eventually) b/c he believes their 2 bloodlines combine to make the perfect superhuman.  

Not sure they are going with that type of plot line, but the fact Sinister is SO tied up with Cyclops in the comics (and secondarily Grey) that I'd expect it.

Cyclops, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Storm, Dazzler, Jean - could be a nice lineup.  I actually would like Magik, too just b/c she's fun with her brother, but she'd be hard to do on screen in a plot if you're really using her true powers...and I'd also like Emma, but mentalists tend to ruin plots quickly if they are a hero...and 2 mentalists means you have no plot...

If the MCU wants to do something different, lean into the Rogue/Gambit relationship.  Rogue has a whooooole messy backstory that makes for potentially compelling movies, plus she comes with a whole host of complicated relationships with adversaries herself.

Plus, Gambit is just fucking cool and got done dirty by Fox.  j1aUlyv.gif Multiple times. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Maybe I'm out of the loop*, but aren't Storm, Rogue, and Jean Grey considered some of "the best characters" in the entire run of the comic?

Rogue is tough to film if you use her true powers, though, too b/c a power swiper becomes just so powerful - see the Hero tv show where they let one be the single big bad for season 1.  It's why they went the way of her being so standoffish, alone, and fearful in the 1st set of movies.  If you let her permanently steal everyone's powers, what's the point of the rest of the team?

It's why I left her out of my lineup - too powerful against the rest of the team.  Dazzler was my swap b/c she can be fun, too, and she has no "superman plot" problems...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Rogue is tough to film if you use her true powers, though, too b/c a power swiper becomes just so powerful - see the Hero tv show where they let one be the single big bad for season 1.  It's why they went the way of her being so standoffish, alone, and fearful in the 1st set of movies.  If you let her permanently steal everyone's powers, what's the point of the rest of the team?

It's why I left her out of my lineup - too powerful against the rest of the team.  Dazzler was my swap b/c she can be fun, too, and she has no "superman plot" problems...

Fair point on the Superman analogy.  On the other hand, if you want to bring in Female Character Whose Issues Have Issues and is about the furthest thing from Character With No Flaws.... Well, hard to top her angst!  Equaled?  Sure.  Topped?  Well, she was up there is more or less what I'm sayin'.

One of the reasons I think she is compelling is the whole Super Powerful in Principle, but Couldn't Have ANYTHING Approaching a Normal Life.  Well, super outdated view of the character since I dropped out of comics in the 90s/00s, but I'm going by the No Touch/No Kiss dilemma she had for the longest time and I presume would be imported on some level should the character enter the MCU.

And even so, the power swiper angle can be toned down as these don't need to be 1:1 conversions.  It's the "can't have human contact" and how does that warp a person's outlook on life which could be super juicy.  And that's before all of her connections to various other folks comes in.

Plus her and Gambit are just fucking too good for words. j1aUlyv.gif

(is me being a Gambit fanboi one of the least surprising things ever on this board?  Probably! :lol:)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Yeah, when the MCU started one of the big concerns at the time was that pretty much all the major female Marvel characters were owned by the other studios. Before Black Panther was in the MCU to most of the planet Storm was the most famous black superhero.

I don't see how Rogues powers are that hard to do, she's been in several movies and TV shows in the past. She can absorb someone's power but doing so hurts other people. It's absolutely doable in the MCU.

Edited by SpiderByte

10 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Yeah, when the MCU started one of the big concerns at the time was that pretty much all the major female Marvel characters were owned by the other studios. Before Black Panther was in the MCU to most of the planet Storm was the most famous black superhero.

I don't see how Rogues powers are that hard to do, she's been in several movies and TV shows in the past. She can absorb someone's power but doing so hurts other people. It's absolutely doable in the MCU.

If I'm not mistaken, Rogue is often shown more emotionally vulnerable in most adaptations. They make this so the character wouldn't be too overpowered.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

Storm and Jean Grey are the  most popular well liked female x men heroes but mostly due to the original x men movies and 90s show. Storm in the 90s show was bad ass. Jean actor in the 2000s men movies was great.

Storm and Jean in the new films were badly handled. 

I am worried they reduce thier chatacter to another "girl power yeah" characters in mcu films

Edited by Torontofan

16 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

I am worried they reduce thier chatacter to another "girl power yeah" characters in mcu films

Which is why I suggested a character who is popular and doesn't lend itself to that.  For that matter, Jean Grey doesn't really lend herself to that as well.    Storm?  Maybe a little, but even there the character is such a well established bad ass, as you say, that most of the folks who try to pull the "she's just an example of 'girl power'" can be safely ignored as people not arguing in good faith.

As to getting their popularity from the 90s films and X-Men cartoon?  That's not exactly a negative.  Far from it!  In fact a decent amount of synergy, I would think, with the upcoming X-Men 97.

2 hours ago, Torontofan said:

Storm and Jean Grey are the  most popular well liked female x men heroes but mostly due to the original x men movies and 90s show. Storm in the 90s show was bad ass. Jean actor in the 2000s men movies was great.

Storm and Jean in the new films were badly handled. 

Honestly, I feel Jean's popularity is often related to the (Dark) Phoenix saga. I don't think the character is so popular outside that story (even although she has many stories in comics). 

Storm has a more "consistent" popularity.

Edited by Kon

Magneto had a lot of screen time yet somehow still felt under-utilised. They never gave Fassbender (and to an extent McKelken) enough to work with. I kept willing them to centre the movies on him more, but it never really happened.

That said, I’m more optimistic than most about MCU x-men. In fact I see the characters as the franchise’s salvation, without whom it’d be in real trouble. 

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Magneto had a lot of screen time yet somehow still felt under-utilised. They never gave Fassbender (and to an extent McKelken) enough to work with. I kept willing them to centre the movies on him more, but it never really happened.

That said, I’m more optimistic than most about MCU x-men. In fact I see the characters as the franchise’s salvation, without whom it’d be in real trouble. 

I agree, Fassbender arc and the screen he had in the first act of First Class was stellar, a Magneto movie with him would be awesome.