XXRDJisDoctorDoom

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

25 minutes ago, TMP said:

Comparing Watchmen to the embarrassing flops of Disney+ really shows how badly Marvel fumbled the whole “TV” thing, especially with how big the budgets were for these bombs

Plenty of MCU Disney+ shows have more impressive numbers than Watchmen, even Inhumans stomped it in viewership, there's a good reason they haven't made a season 2.

2 minutes ago, Veclozy said:

Plenty of MCU Disney+ shows have more impressive numbers than Watchmen, even Inhumans stomped it in viewership, there's a good reason they haven't made a season 2.

Watchmen...the TV series has some very strong fans, but it was not a huge ratings sucess like they think it was.

I had mixed feeling about it, I liked a lot of it, but still thought it paled before the Alan Moore original.

31 minutes ago, Veclozy said:

They never made a season 2 because Lindleof hasn't wanted to and HBO has said they won't make one without him

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TMP said:

Comparing Watchmen to the embarrassing flops of Disney+ really shows how badly Marvel fumbled the whole “TV” thing, especially with how big the budgets were for these bombs

Yeah having huge subscriber numbers and multiple hits. Clearly a massive failure. Disney+ didn't get to 150+ million subs because of Nat Geo.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Yeah having huge subscriber numbers and multiple hits. Clearly a massive failure. Disney+ didn't get to 150+ million subs because of Nat Geo.

Considering that Free Solo alone is better than any original Disney+ project ever released, it wouldn't be that hard to believe. I get that your 9-5 is to defend Marvel, but come on lmfao. I feel like even you can't defend a disaster like secret invasion

Edited by TMP
  • ...wtf 1

Most of Disney + shows have bigger numbers than a considerable number of high profile shows.  Why should that suprise anyone . MCU/SW  are  brands . Yes they are nowhere  as strong as they used to be but still have some pull.

Watchmen and most of this high profile shows have more pop cultural footprint and staying power. You can numerous recommendations.

Most of the Disney + shows are talked about when airing. But after that they are quickly forgotten due to how mediocre they are.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I didn’t think watchmen was perfect (the finale was poor) but overall it was  a thoughtful expansion of the world with enough interesting ideas of its own. And in superhero tv/movie land, interesting ideas are like water in the desert. 

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I didn’t think watchmen was perfect (the finale was poor) but overall it was  a thoughtful expansion of the world with enough interesting ideas of its own. And in superhero tv/movie land, interesting ideas are like water in the desert. 

I dislike the Watchmen show not necessarily based on the quality of the show but the idea behind how DC exploits the franchise and use a loophole to avoid fulfilling their promise to Alan Moore. Same with Before Watchmen. Watchmen was, at the time it first came out, positioned as a huge win for creators rights and DC immediately tanked that idea as soon as it started actually being a success, and every spinoff or tie into wider DC only makes it easier for them to do it.

Watchmen isn't Marvel. Please take that discussion somewhere else.

Getting back on topic, I think Disney inadvertently dodged a bullet since Majors got convicted. The Kang storyline was bad enough it probably would've killed the MCU if it was pushed for another 4-5 years (as was the original plan). They'll have to come up with something else but they have a wealth of other resources to draw from that aren't "You killed me! I came back in a different form from another timeline!" BS with a mediocre villain played by an actor most dislike.

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

I don't really see why recasting Kang would be met with literally any backlash at all. He's probably the easiest character to recast in history story wise.

The character sucks and I want him gone from the narrative. Bring on Doom/Galactus/Knull/Kingpin capping Spidey/literally anything else. 

That said if you MUST recast Kang don't do the stupid "HURR DURR High Evolutionary is Kang" BS some Marvel chuds seem to love. Go crazy. Give us Jim Carrey Kang. Give us Jason Statham Kang. Hell give us Michelle Yeoh Kang. Anything but "he's from another universe but the actor is black so he has to be KANG!!!" It would SO cheapen Guardians 3 to bring back High Evolutionary and make him Kang.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 2

17 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Hey, I watch quite a bit of Nat Geo on Disney plus...

11 hours ago, Noctis said:

Are we talking about Watchmen from HBO? Are we really going to compare some bland ass Marvel shows to it?

You guys are crazy.

Oh, I could make invidious comparaions between the HBO Watchman and the Moore original.

37 minutes ago, Hades said:

So Xmen 97 next up ..Hope its not What if animation style..

It's unclear. People credibly reporting inside info have said it's CG animation, but people who've seen actual footage at events and such have said it looks 2D. Promo art also doesn't seem particularly 3D from what's been shown.

208552.jpgIt sounds a lot like at the least it's very heavily stylized to look like the OG series.

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Will Disney fire her ?

It'd depend on circumstances (merit, if she's behaved like this before), but my guess is at worst this is quietly settled and maybe an apology unless there's like real serious injury.