Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

Well, I just came out of The Marvels... And it was an utter mess from beginning to end, just as bad as people like Dan Murrell are saying it is. A Frankensteinian abomination created by duct-taping four different movies together. It's hastily edited, poorly paced, and just overall a mostly hollow husk where the emotional beats don't land at all. Iman and Teyonnah both co-carried this movie and prevented it from being unwatchable like She-Hulk and Secret Invasion. And admittedly it occassionally looked pretty cool. Unfortunately Brie wasn't all that much better here than she was in the first film, and the villain was by far the worst in the franchise, and among the worst in the genre. Easily the worst movie in the franchise for me, below Quantumania as that one at least had tons of promise, which this one never had much of. It's genuinely depressing to see a universe I love reach these lows. Being released right after the Loki finale, which is its polar opposite in every way, makes the sting extra painful. I sincerely hope Deadpool 3 will mark the beginning of a new, better era next year.

• Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

It's hard to fire a coach who has 4 or 5 rings.  Yes, it's possible that the game has surpassed them and they'll never get their mojo back but because of what they've accomplished for the franchise they are going to get more time to fix things than some nobody who has never done anything.  

Feige is going to get the chance to fix this.  

I see we have a NE Patriots fan - eventually, they might finally dump Mac Jones...

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Avatree said:

How do you gauge that? How can you say "this film had no audience", when the first film made over $1 billion? a.k.a. the biggest solo film for a new MCU character.

Not making a sequel to Captain Marvel was never a reasonable option. I don't think they could have predicted at the time that people wouldn't show up to Captain Marvel 2.

but their approach to making a CM was instead of making a Winter Solider or Ragnarok was to make a bad Disney channel movie 

8 minutes ago, Avatree said:

How do you gauge that? How can you say "this film had no audience", when the first film made over $1 billion? a.k.a. the biggest solo film for a new MCU character.

Not making a sequel to Captain Marvel was never a reasonable option. I don't think they could have predicted at the time that people wouldn't show up to Captain Marvel 2.

I never said that they shouldn't have made a sequel to Captain Marvel. Of course they should have. They just should have never made THIS sequel. I don't want to get into it too deeply here because people get mad at you when you tell the truth about movie going habits. I'll just say, if you make a 200M movie for women and they don't show up to support it then that sounds like a movie that you shouldn't have made.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

but their approach to making a CM was instead of making a Winter Solider or Ragnarok was to make a bad Disney channel movie 

Perhaps I should re-visit the Disney Channel, seems like their productions have had a major glow-up.

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think Thor: Love and Thunder gets underrated in the decline of the MCU compared to TV shows etc. People HATED that movie. I'm talking hated. Anecdotally, all of my friends, including many MCU fans, thought that this was The Room level of bad. I haven't seen that much universal hate for a blockbuster in ages. And we know how people feel about Quantumania. I do think the TV stuff is hurting, but I think people are underestimaing how much two absolutely reviled movies in a row (and people didn't exactly love Strange/Eternals) is hurting the brand. Marvel used to be a mark of relative quality. That has failed.

yeah Even Thor 2 had some redeeming qualities like Loki or Cool action

Thor 4 had nothing 

14 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

He couldn't go to WB anyway unless either James Gunn or Peter Safran stepped aside. 

They asked Feige to take the job before they even considered Gunn. You don't think Zaslav of all people wouldn't be fine to dump Gunn for Feige if he had to?

Edited by SpiderByte

Just now, grey ghost said:

You know what they say.

It ain't joeover until Deadpool 3 flops. 

if that happens, you might as well call it wraps. I highly doubt video game movies can replace the cape crusaders though. Perhaps, blockbusters of book adaptions will fill the hole. 

All this doom and gloom is going to look real funny when Deadpool 3 does $400m next summer and everyone proclaims “Marvel is back!”

Most of us saw a bomb coming miles away. It’s been building over the mixed reception of phase 4 (5 now?) and it is just kind of culminating here. It’s a bit jarring and ironic that the first Captain Marvel was the culmination of peak MCU interest/hype/goodwill, and it just so happens the sequel is the culmination of all of that going away.

I’d say it’s time for Marvel to take a step back and reevaluate their formula, but it seems they might be doing that, with the major shake up to the Disney Plus series and the schedule reshuffling. Time will tell I guess.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

You know what they say.

It ain't joeover until Deadpool 3 flops. 

Deadpool 3 is basically the litmus test of the saga. If it’s good, the MCU is good. If it’s bad then it’s truly joever, because the MCU for fans was supposed to improve on the Fox stuff.

9 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I never said that they shouldn't have made a sequel to Captain Marvel. Of course they should have. They just should have never made THIS sequel. I don't want to get into it too deeply here because people get mad at you when you tell the truth about movie going habits. I'll just say, if you make a 200M movie for women and they don't show up to support it then that sounds like a movie that you shouldn't have made.

They should've made it but they should've released it directly on D+. The entire point of this movie was to establish that Carol needs help and support & she doesn't need to carry weight of the world alone; and to establish a new spoiler team. They could have done all these with a D+ special movie. It would've served the purpose of the movie & also prevented them from embarrassment

Edited by Willowra