Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

49 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Why do these movies need to go anywhere? This sounds like a fan expectation or desire to recreate the magic in a bottle of the MCU between 2008-2019. Perhaps these movies should be allowed to exist on their own without any connection to anything. The MCU doesn’t need some overarching purpose. They are not the cinematic equivalent of a philosophical sojourn.

Marvel have trained their audience to view this as an interconnected web of films - and most of these films aren't really great on their own. It's a case of the aim of the parts truly being better than the individual parts themselves.

So you really can't have it both ways. You can't have twenty products in two years, all weaving together and none of them good and then defend the situation saying "why do they have to lead to anything?". Come on man, get real ...

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Indiana Jones and Mission Impossible were two of the biggest bombs of the year btw. 

Just to clear that up lol. Both losing over $100m+ for their studios. 

Im pretty sure that MI won`t loose that much when all is said and done. In fact there could be a chance that its goes even steven in the end with TV,VOD and streaming sales

Indy will loose 100 mill yes

30 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Also, the overwhelming positivity I see online this weekend regarding Loki versus the overwhelming negativity toward The Marvels shows the MCU isn't really in danger at all. Just the Captain Marvel franchise. Deadpool 3 will be fine. The 2025 will also be fine if they have good trailers.

Deadpool 3 feels like the MCU's last major event film (non-Avengers) which is very concerning for the other movies. Deadpool is going to be Disney's best shot at a $1B CBM until an Avengers film gets made. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

If it opened even five years ago it would have made as much as Green Book

Green Book had impressive longevity: it opened in mid-November, its biggest weekend was $5.5M domestic and it crossed $85M the next April. Plus China really liked it, so the worldwide box office got to $320M. These kind of "awards movies for grownups" used to make tidy sums theatrically despite the MCU and other CBMs also flourishing, imagine that...

The timing of the strike being over is the worst of both worlds for The Marvels, it's kind of spectacularly awful for Brie.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

12 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

It still blows my mind that both the Loki finale and The Marvels hail from the same studio and were released on the exact same day. They are, in every way, polar opposites of each other. One is a beautiful, tragic tale with a crystal clear and consistent vision, stellar direction, intelligent writing, gorgeous cinematography, top of the line acting, and lovable characters that one can get strongly attached to and want to see achieve peace and happiness. The other is a Frankensteinian abomination with a wildly inconsistent vision, shoddy direction, cringeworthy writing, bland cinematography, weird acting, and one-dimensional characters who one most likely won't care all that much about. One of them is among the best moments of the franchise, while the other is its worst movie to date. The conflict of order and chaos which Loki explored is, ironically enough, a perfect representation of Marvel today.

Beautifully said. I think Feige is spread too thin. Balancing 3 TV series and 3 movies in one calendar year is insane. 

In hindsight I believe The Marvels just looks too much like Ms Marvel in its promotional material. I love MCU Kamala and the first two episodes of Ms Marvel but the show just didn't hit. Making your 220-250M movie look like a sequel movie to a television series that didn't do well was not a great move. Mega blunder by Feige.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Green Book had impressive longevity: it opened in mid-November, its biggest weekend was $5.5M domestic and it crossed $85M the next April. Plus China really liked it, so the worldwide box office got to $320M. These kind of "awards movies for grownups" used to make tidy sums theatrically despite the MCU and other CBMs also flourishing, imagine that...

The timing of the strike being over is the worst of both worlds for The Marvels, it's kind of spectacularly awful for Brie.

I miss those days :( really I miss the days in the 90s (which I wasn’t alive for lol, reminiscing over a time before mine) where the top 10 would be mostly non-IP dramas for grown-ups

• Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

9 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Saying "Well, Loki was good so MCU is fine" is hilarious to me.  That's like saying 'Peacemaker was fine so I think DC should continue with what they're doing".  

Changes will be made to the MCU and changes are needed. 

And Loki 

Spoiler

signifies an effective ending for the character, so it 

is more GOTG 3-like for audiences...

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

In hindsight I believe The Marvels just looks too much like Ms Marvel in its promotional material. I love MCU Kamala and the first two episodes of Ms Marvel but the show just didn't hit. Making your 220-250M movie look like a sequel movie to a television series that didn't do well was not a great move. Mega blunder by Feige.

Looking at The Marvels as a movie, the studio clearly hated the Carol Danvers plot arc; everyone thinks the villain was bad; and Marvel has always loved Ms. Marvel. I think that easily lead to minimize the "Captain Marvel versus Kree" stuff. It's notable that their pivot from "Ms. Marvel advertising isn't working" jumped straight over the Kree and went to Thanos (who has literally nothing to do with anything in the film).

So part of this is clearly a strategy mistake but I now think it's more downstream of an attempt to reorient the film (but limited by actor strike). 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

Loki S2 is one of the best things marvel has done . Buts that's a streaming show.

MCU has two major bombs this year and saying is not in danger due to Loki success is a tad bit ridiculous.

Losing money on 2 major tentpoles in quick succession is just plain bad and thinking otherwise would be terrible business sence.

I cant count how many businesses or projects I've seen fall with " it's fine atleast this is part is doing well" mentality   when shit is starting to get wrong.

No decline begins with sharp fall , it starts with complacency and small concessions.

Marvels box office is a culmination of all  the small things  and bad decisions .that have been accumulating and now we here seeing the unthinkable  .

Hyperbole is ridiculous at points here but MCU is definitely in a rough spot .

• Like 4

If we want to include the TV shows then let's discuss how She-Hulk was $25M per episode and nobody was watching it and the people who did thought it was a clown show.  

Or we can talk about Secret Invasion being very expensive and pretty much everyone hating that as well. 

Loki didn't "save" the MCU from being mostly bad over the last 4 years.   Did Wonder Woman or The Suicide Squad change the overall perception of the DCEU?  No of course not...  they were good movies that were surrounded by issues all over the place.  

Nobody is saying MCU can't make a good movie.  James Gunn just made one a couple months ago but again it was mostly removed from the overall MCU.   

Deadpool 3 will probably be good too. 

• Like 1

I do think Marvel should get Benson/Moorhead onto the film slate. They've established themselves as the best MCU filmmakers in the post-Russos and Gunn world. I'd say it's them and Cretton, who is seemingly still attached to whatever the next Avengers film ends up being. But what Benson/Moorhead did with Loki S2 (and their episodes of Moon Knight) is sublime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fmpro said:

Im pretty sure that MI won`t loose that much when all is said and done. In fact there could be a chance that its goes even steven in the end with TV,VOD and streaming sales

Indy will loose 100 mill yes

Not a chance MI7 breaks even.

It was Variety or THR who reported the $100m+ loss.

MI7, Indiana Jones, The Marvels and The Flash are the biggest financial bombs of the year. So far. 

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Also, the overwhelming positivity I see online this weekend regarding Loki versus the overwhelming negativity toward The Marvels shows the MCU isn't really in danger at all. Just the Captain Marvel franchise. Deadpool 3 will be fine. The 2025 will also be fine if they have good trailers.

The problem is that these TV-series actually have a pretty low viewership, which is one of the reasons why The Marvels has become such an epic flop. So no, the relatively good reception of (some) Marvel-series doesn't mean that the MCU is not in danger.

• Like 1