Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

1 hour ago, Johnny Tran said:

By the way,  the claws are out.   Scathing piece on The Marvels and the MCU as a whole. 

Box Office: The Marvels $47M Lowest for MCU – What Went Wrong – Deadline

If not posted, current demos from Deadline...I'm amused the demo they targeted the most (under 25 women) showed up the least by a mile...but then, my girls didn't want this at all...

EDIT: And it was posted, but I still think the under 25 women marker needs to be discussed b/c Young Avengers seems headed right there again, so Marvel has to say - why would I lose another $200M on a movie just to say I could...

"Other diagnostics on The Marvels: 65% male leaning, with 45% men over 25, 22% women over 25 (giving it the best grades at 82%), men under 25 at 20%, and women under 25 at 14%. Biggest demo was 25-34 at 33%. Diversity demos were 36% Caucasian, 27% Latino and Hispanic, 17% Black, and 14% Asian. The Marvels secured all of the PLF screens and IMAX, which rep 38% of the weekend’s take." 

Edited by TwoMisfits

13 minutes ago, Legion Again said:

Not a joke, folks — real meltdown energy is first days of PS, by the time ow rolls around megaflops are old news 

The one that didn't quite fit was Flash, which did have some momentum (not $100M OW, but like $70 or $80 range), before really fading down the stretch and then IM-ing poorly, with disastrous legs ... and then 155 pages of lament in the weekend thread

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I do, too, b/c my kid wants to see it.  Originally, I thought dumpster fire open and legs, but if my youngest wants to see it, it has engaged the Fortnite/gamer audience...so they can deliver an "above Marvels and other DC total this year" total - still no good, but not the bomb that their other material and Marvels has been...

My expectations are in the range of BP --> BPWF drop, not Capt Marvel --> Marvels

Won't catch the same wave as last time, but enough goodwill built up - and nothing else to watch! - that it'll do fine. Something like $200 dom, $650M WW (? - I'm more iffy on that second number, outside my wheelhouse)

• Like 2

So you guys saying if Captain Marvel wore a cooler outfit and had a hot thirst trap in the movies, they would be more successful?

Maybe even the disaster WW1984 made nearly 200 million during lockdowns, likely done 500-600 million normally. 

Edited by Torontofan

1 hour ago, Johnny Tran said:

By the way,  the claws are out.   Scathing piece on The Marvels and the MCU as a whole. 

Box Office: The Marvels $47M Lowest for MCU – What Went Wrong – Deadline

Lol half this article is saying "Killers of the Flower Moon doesn't count as a bomb because Apple makes money outside of movies", a ridiculous comparison to Disney, theme park empire.

• Like 4

Yeah i don’t think Aquaman will bomb that hard. I know about all the awful test screenings with 60’s grades but many bad received movies are succesful. 

Test screening audiences don’t see the finished visuals and action sequences, which is where James Wan shines. There’s a Japanese trailer full of new scenes that looks super eye candy and fun to watch. Also Momoa is very likeable and it doesn’t have direct competition in a Christmas boost.

Unless audiences really rejects it, it’ll drop a lot but i’m not expecting a huge bomb. 

Right now, with a B+ score (which is acceptable for DC) or better, i’m thinking 38M OW / 150M DOM. China can also surprises with +150M. 

Overall i think +500M is very possible for Aquaman 2 even if 1/3 cames from China. Disappointing for sure but not a collapse.

• Like 4

So, looking at these numbers for The Marvels, do we still think this year's DCEU movies bombed because they announced James Gunn is going to reboot it, or is there a bigger problem with the entire comic book movie genre? What do you think this means for Superman Legacy and the future DCU movies, especially the projects focused on lesser known characters?

Edited by Napoleon

52 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

If not posted, current demos from Deadline...I'm amused the demo they targeted the most (under 25 women) showed up the least by a mile...but then, my girls didn't want this at all...

EDIT: And it was posted, but I still think the under 25 women marker needs to be discussed b/c Young Avengers seems headed right there again, so Marvel has to say - why would I lose another $200M on a movie just to say I could...

"Other diagnostics on The Marvels: 65% male leaning, with 45% men over 25, 22% women over 25 (giving it the best grades at 82%), men under 25 at 20%, and women under 25 at 14%. Biggest demo was 25-34 at 33%. Diversity demos were 36% Caucasian, 27% Latino and Hispanic, 17% Black, and 14% Asian. The Marvels secured all of the PLF screens and IMAX, which rep 38% of the weekend’s take." 

Looks like Ms. Marvel skews too young for MCU's female fandom. Average MCU fangirl seems to be older and more into Scarlet Witch, Black Widow etc.

Then again Young Avengers has 1 thing that The Marvels didn't to capture the teen girl base: a cute gay couple, one half of whom will actually be played by one of the Heartstopper actors. The Young Avengers film will need to be about finding Wanda like the Children's Crusade comic to bring in the older fangirls too. 1 or 2 older male Avengers or X-Men will also need to be featured prominently.

Edited by Spidey Freak

16 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

So, looking at these numbers for The Marvels, do we still think this year's DCEU movies bombed because they announced James Gunn is going to reboot it, or is there a bigger problem with the entire comic book movie genre? What do you think this means for Superman Legacy and the future DCU movies, especially the projects focused on lesser known characters?

At this point, how low budget does Swamp Thing need to be to make profit, coz apparently even Blue Beetle budget doesn't seem to be low enough?

Also, while the Max team might turn out to be better at quality control than Disney+ with their crop of CBM shows, Gunn may need to rethink his plan of interconnecting movies and shows seeing how badly that's screwed the MCU over.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1