Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Look, I’m not defending Scrubs season 9 from a writing standpoint or directing standpoint. In both areas, it was a weak season after JD departed.

But Eliza Coupe and Kid Franco were great additions. The main new female lead (can’t remember her name) did well, it’s just her character was written overly wide-eyed. And diet-Jason Sudakis as the last new scrub was entertaining, had a good arc. liked him with Coupe.

Again, not defending the overall quality of “Med School”, and would welcome a “revival” season in a heartbeat.

Anyways, I’ve said it here before and will say it again, Secret Invasion should have been saved for Captain Marvel 2.

I just don't think S9 was ever going to work. It's hard to replicate the kind of chemistry JD and Turk had. There's a reason why they are still bestfriends now.

While we are at it, let's listen to this iconic song again:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

I just don't think S9 was ever going to work. It's hard to replicate the kind of chemistry JD and Turk had. There's a reason why they are still bestfriends now.

While we are at it, let's listen to this iconic song again:

should I?

give that show a chance?

This would need to have Flash-style legs to miss $100M. Next weekend's drop will be bad of course with Hunger Games and Trolls arriving (even if neither is looking likely to breakout as well), but the extended Thanksgiving holiday will cushion the blow a bit and then the empty schedule will allow a few weeks of good holds due to theaters having hardly anything to drop it for (and titles that aren't looking to make much of a dent like Thanksgiving and Next Goal Wins will make their exits before it does). An Eternals-esque multiplier for $105-110M is where it ends up in all likelihood. Still crummy either way.

Just now, filmlover said:

This would need to have Flash-style legs to miss $100M. Next weekend's drop will be bad of course with Hunger Games and Trolls arriving (even if neither is looking likely to breakout as well), but the extended Thanksgiving holiday will cushion the blow a bit and then the empty schedule will allow a few weeks of good holds due to theaters having hardly anything to drop it for (and titles that aren't looking to make much of a dent like Thanksgiving and Next Goal Wins will make their exits before it does). An Eternals-esque multiplier for $105-110M is where it ends up in all likelihood. Still crummy either way.

There's 4 releases this coming week and 3 on Thanksgiving. There's a genuine chance The Marvels drops to #4 next weekend. 

Losing IMAX and PLF and the family audience (thanks to Trolls 3) means a 70%+ drop is very likely, and I would favor Thanksgiving to release to 15M+ as a horror low end. Genuine chance that the box office charts next week are like

Hunger Games - 50-60M

Trolls - 30M

Thanksgiving - 17-20M

Marvels - 13M

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

There's 4 releases this coming week and 3 on Thanksgiving. There's a genuine chance The Marvels drops to #4 next weekend. 

Losing IMAX and PLF and the family audience (thanks to Trolls 3) means a 70%+ drop is very likely, and I would favor Thanksgiving to release to 15M+ as a horror low end. Genuine chance that the box office charts next week are like

Hunger Games - 50-60M

Trolls - 30M

Thanksgiving - 17-20M

Marvels - 13M

I don't see it for Thanksgiving at all tbh. It's arriving with very little fanfare (and of course is going to make an immediate exit following the weekend of its namesake holiday) and is being placed in small auditoriums everywhere. More likely it makes $17-20M in total than it does opening weekend.

42 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I'm going to guess it gets dragged to 100M unless it's way too far to be dragged out. Disney will not like a MCU movie finishing below 100M, would be big headline news for sure.

Not likely based on patterns of these massive CBM OW busts. Morbius, Flash, and Shazam all ended with 1.9x. The exception would be Blue Beetle, but that seemed to garner some genuinely positive WOM and got spring boarded by cinema day being on its second weekend when it didn’t have much comp.

Maybe thanksgiving pushes this to like 2.1x or something, but even then Disney will have a very hard time fudging a $5.5m gap. 

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

I remember when Joh. Carter bombed someone at Disney got fired; and this is looking to do worse..

Disney isn't firing anyone for this. The take away will be to strap these characters to Deadpool, the X-Men, Spider-Man etc... that way they can still use the Marvels without losing all the money.

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I would not trust BOM reported number at all. Studio reported 63.5. BOM has been trash for a while. Just earlier this week I saw Oppenheimer at 1.2B over there. !!!!

S5N4HU.jpg

I cannot believe how BOM has imploded the past five years. Utterly horrific and really took a big hit on my enjoyment in following box office.

• Like 4