The Wild Eric

Weekend Thread (11/17-19) | Early Deadline #s - Songbirds 5.75-6M Previews, Trolls 2M

5 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I just finished watching this new HG and the movie is fantastic! Easily my best viewing experience since MI7. A bit surprised by the B+ cinemascore. Really thought this is a A movie. 

Good to hear. Seeing it in a few hours.The  CS is weird considering other metrics that are out there.  The MI 7 mention makes me confident. Damm that movie is a great theatrical experience.

Holy god that Marvels drop. That's some insane rejection. Honestly makes it hard to tell what went wrong here. With numbers like that there's basically no movie to compare it to anymore. Like people weren't just not interested, they were ACTIVELY making sure to avoid it at all costs 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

Plenty of trash movies make money. No, this is more than about the quality of the movie. People just decided they must make Marvel pay for their meteoric success and trash produvt they put out lately. I'm afraid The Marvels is paying the price of Quantumania and the other latest Marvel movies  sucking

Plus the TV shows. It’s also a self-fulfilling prophecy, I know a couple of people who were like “didn’t that movie have bad numbers? Nobody is interested in it, I guess it must be bad, I won’t go watch it, let’s watch that HG prequel instead!”

54 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Youth Book reading in generals I would imagine

FT_21.11.09_ReadingForFun_2.png

Big drop in reading has social media start to pick-up among them around 2013, would have probably been sooner without the Lords of Rings and specially Potter phenomenon.

Hunger Games without a Hunger Games is a harder sale (and you cannot do the games 3 movies in a row either) and those high concept affair are almost always better in a barely explain world that are just a metaphor for a real one, would it be the cube or something else. Do again the director change to have one that have time to do the movie, a single one, etc... if it is really good maybe it match Catching Fire but that already exceptional.

The first Potter was probably the biggest one of the whole franchise, but even without taking inflation into account not every Potter movie opened bigger than the one before, maybe you meant the first Lords of the Rings ?

This is very sad actually.

47 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Deadline went too high on almost everything, including unfortunately Thanksgiving. 

People are missing this just so they can clown on The Marvels. November fucking sucked so far, that’s a sad sign for cinema.

47 minutes ago, Barnack said:

This is actually incredibly sad. Where are the new hits?

42 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

The entire world rejecting an MCU movie, that is a sequel to a billion dollar film just 4 years ago...crazy box office times.

Also, November's box office is a disaster. Post Barbie the box office has been a wasteland. Families will be picking up 75-inch TV's for under 400 bucks at Walmart. They'll spend $20 PVOD instead of going to the theater this holiday season.  Streaming will keep raising prices but so will theaters. Inflation will continue to slow but prices won't come down. The buying power of the dollar will just be less.  Hollywood is late to what audiences want but this is different. Sure a movie based on Minecraft will make a lot but a movie based on Borderlands will bomb. People have way more options for their entertainment dollar and are more picky. Times are changing if a movie isnt an event the general audience doesnt care. The box office is top heavy as fuck, we have 2 years of data now, its the new normal.

This being the new normal would make this place horribly depressing….

35 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

That's definitely not true. It would be really hard to find anyone who liked it outside US critics and twitter. Very much like The Marvels.

That’s simply untrue, most people I know found it entertaining enough and had no idea this Ghostbusters was even controversial among internet boys back then.

36 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

Sure a movie based on Minecraft will make a lot but a movie based on Borderlands will bomb.

That reminded me, the Borderlands movie with Cate Blanchett and Kevin Hart still hasn't come out yet! Original principal photography was in 2021. It's scheduled for next August now.

15 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Which historically help not hurt the cheapest entertainment option, like going to the movie theaters (Avatar box office was

during the financial crisis).

There weren't streaming services during the Great Recession. I don’t know if moviegoing still feels like a cheap activity compared to a month's worth of Netflix, Disney+, Prime, etc. and YouTube is free.

With the pandemic restrictions, I think that also made people value going out differently. If they're going to go out, they'd rather be out doing stuff where they can talk and be social the whole time and not just sitting in a dark theater.

People will come to movie theaters in big numbers for "events" but there's less of just going for the sake of it. Plus they know it will be available at home soon enough, and in the meantime they can just watch a million other titles or listen to podcasts, etc.

• Like 3

There is no excusing The Marvels performance. Also Deadpool 3 won’t show Marvel isn’t in trouble even if it makes a billion. That just shows people love Deadpool and Jackman’s Wolverine. It means nothing for Captain Falcon and Thunderbolts, Ant man’s daughter and whoever else 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

Holy god that Marvels drop. That's some insane rejection. Honestly makes it hard to tell what went wrong here. With numbers like that there's basically no movie to compare it to anymore. Like people weren't just not interested, they were ACTIVELY making sure to avoid it at all costs 

Feel the same way. I can't fathom rejection on this level.

I thought The Hunger Games was good, Catching Fire flat out great and the last two were decent but hampered by being pointlessly split into two movies. I like the franchise but The Hunger Games without Katniss Everdeen didn't hold that much appeal to me. The new film looks fine but it being a prequel and not having Katniss leaves me not in a rush to see it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

IMO it's not a terrible movie (though it is rather bland), but it does assume that everyone is up to date on the Marvel projects both on the big screen and small, and that "homework" feeling is bound to kill anything. Granted, the movie isn't inaccessible to those who only see the movies (I didn't watch the Ms. Marvel series and still got a pretty good sense of the character and what her family dynamics are), but one shouldn't have to (nor should they) feel obligated to watch a bunch of shows and movies to understand what's going on. I think a Captain Marvel 2 that didn't come with anywhere nearly as much MCU homework baggage would've been closer to what people wanted from this.

Nothing indicated it would do this poorly, but it's a classic case of wrong movie at the wrong time. Sometimes, that's just what it boils down to.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I don’t know if moviegoing still feels like a cheap activity compared to a month's worth of Netflix, Disney+, Prime, etc. and YouTube is free.

That has been true for a while too and considering how restaurant inflation, sport ticket, concert ticket and the other close equivalent it is still a very popular for the mass option and maybe feel cheaper than ever in some way.

Many subways 12 inch cost more than many movie tickets now.

9 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

This is actually incredibly sad. Where are the new hits?

Kids nowadays grow up in an evironment where they find it hard to read 1 simple page of a book. Social Media has trained them to think that more than 6 or 7 sentences after another is a "long text". I fear books will soon become a niche product, just like cinema itself. In the school ive worked this year, the teachers literally can not fathom how bad the reading comprehension of the kids is.

I realize i sound like some old rambling 60 year old right now, but i do believe that Social Media fundamentally changed the new generations' outlook on practically all traditional media and entertainment, including books.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

SAT looks like will drop. Could be sub $40M if SUN drop is bad.

I don't think the Sun drop will not be bad as The Marvels because of Thanksgiving week but for SAT , if it's true , it isn't really good even if for this genre it's normal

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

IMO it's not a terrible movie (though it is rather bland), but it does assume that everyone is up to date on the Marvel projects both on the big screen and small, and that "homework" feeling is bound to kill anything. Granted, the movie isn't inaccessible to those who only see the movies (I didn't watch the Ms. Marvel series and still got a pretty good sense of the character and what her family dynamics are), but one shouldn't have to (nor should they) feel obligated to watch a bunch of shows and movies to understand what's going on. I think a Captain Marvel 2 that didn't come with anywhere nearly as much MCU homework baggage would've been closer to what people wanted from this.

Nothing indicated it would do this poorly, but it's a classic case of wrong movie at the wrong time. Sometimes, that's just what it boils down to.

Thunderbolts is the next one which will have this fate as it also depends on watching 2 Disney+ shows, Ant Man 2 (not even 3) and the Black Widow movie. That one can definitely challenge Marvels at the box office, in fact before Marvels faceplanting I had Thunderbolts as the first sub 100M total in the MCU.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Man Secret Invasion was dire, positively dire. I think the weak films were a bigger issue but that could not have helped The Marvels either. I think that show ruined Nick Fury for me.

The MCU becomes much better when you just pretend that Endgame was really the end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Captain Marvel 1.1 billion dollar gross obfuscated what I have been saying for years. Carol Danvers, as she is portrayed in her first movie, is a dull over powered character who is hard to care about. She's the Henry Cavill Superman of the MCU. People thought the film was fine and fun but never attached to the lead character. So that killed her too late nearly 5 years later sequel. 

Cavill's Superman had an increase of 30% in his second film's worldwide box office, and reports about his cameo increased Black Adam's presales, which were dismal before, and that movie ended up performing better than anything the DCEU released since Aquaman (and miles better than The Marvels). Their box office trajectory couldn't be further apart.

• Like 1