The Wild Eric

Weekend Thread (11/17-19) | Early Deadline #s - Songbirds 5.75-6M Previews, Trolls 2M

13 minutes ago, Kon said:

I think this is a little unfair. DInky is explaining why he/she could be read the story as "white savior".

This reading won't be intentional from the writers side, since the Avatar movie shows na'vi as the better race. However, I've understand why it could be an issue that the native race needs help from the "civilized" person. The story could justify that, but that was the writers choice.

I don't see anything unfair about what I'm saying seeing as the entire goal of this conversation is to remove the whole context surrounding the plot to claim the na'vi are portrayed in a way that they simply are not

Jake was allowed to do certain things because the plot moved in a way where it would make the most sense for him to be the one to do these things, not because he is the only one who could have possibly done them (case in point he is not the first fucking toruk makto lol, other na'vi LITERALLY tamed the beast and united the clans in the past!)

I could make "problematic" claims about plenty of films if I stripped the entire story down to its bones just to make it fit my narrative but that is not what "critical thinking" is, and I don't think someone who literally says "context doesn't matter" should be allowed to talk about critical thinking to begin with

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Yes watching tv always been (well outside some cable option) cheaper than movies even renting a vhs movie always been cheaper than going to the movies (specially if mentally not all the cost are being amortized).

By cheaper it is relative to all going out of the house options that movie has been and is still cheaper, there 12inch subways sub that cost more than movies tickets.

Competition is bigger-better, free by the air tv was much cheaper than YouTube via broadband internet, just less addictive.

I suspect most.people aren't looking at the cost of a movie ticket vs the cost of Subway/DoorDash/takeout/etc and saying, "Wow going to the theater is actually a bargain!" They consider the cost of taking a family to a theater vs the cost of a $20 PVOD rental for the same title later that month, or the cost of a group of friends going to the movie theater together vs splitting $6 for a digital rental of the same movie two months later, or the cost of a couple doing a date night to see No Hard Feelings vs catching it in their Netflix subscription four months later. Unless a movie is an "event", moviegoers seem to be saying a trip to the movie theater is not worth their money or their time.

People can say, "Well if you look at inflation, movie tickets aren't any more expensive than 50 years ago!" but it won't change a thing about how most of today's audience approaches moviegoing. They can see new movies at home more quickly and conveniently, even compared to the days of video stores or Redbox. "Must-see" titles will bring them back to theaters, but not much else. And studios are having a tough time figuring out what must-see even means anymore.

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

I can agree with you if we are in pre-Covid era. But the typical award season long run have since disappear. Holdovers' PTA this week will only be in $1600+ and I guess the PTA will soon dip to below $1000 in a week or two. That is far weaker as compared to pre-Covid platform release. Even if the movie managed to linger through award season, their numbers are often minuscule (plenty of examples during fall/winter of 2022) and won't matter by then. 

I don't really see where the recovery. They may perform great under 10 locations but the real test was after the movie going wide. So far most of their expansion run are meh and they still stuck in 10-20m finish range, which really isn't much different from 2021. I would say there is a recovery when specialty market constantly contribute hit of >30m. 

The best thing that's happened to platform releases post-Covid is someone figuring out that for some reason "AMC Burbank" counts as one location, when it's three distinct multiplexes in Burbank with a total of 30 screens. The new platform releases now will often play at two if not all three of the AMCs in Burbank, but it all gets reported as one location when the per theater averages get published. I first noticed it with Asteroid City, but a lot of the 2023 platform releases do the L.A. part in Burbank now vs. The Grove and The Americana. I suspect it's a factor in the seeming improvement in platform releases this year vs 2021/2022, but why they are still falling flat in wider release.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That Friday number for Marvels is pure insanity. Is it going to hit 9m for the whole weekend? 

probably

cant see this doing much worse than morbius in the Friday to weekend multi

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

7 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

That's impressive

6 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The Marvels has horrible word of mouth. The only people who like it are people online.

I don't even think they like it, it comes off as 'owning the chuds'

4 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

Another viewpoint - I'm a teacher and I am forever amazed at how much better than standard of English teaching and learning is compared to when I was a kid. I'd say the average child I teach is able to read and write far, far more skilfully and purposefully than 95% of people I know.

We also romanticise how we were in the past. Children have a short attention span nowadays? I deliver training for teachers, and I can say without doubt that children are far, far better at actively listening than adults. 

You're in Europe though.  American kids are stupid because our public education system has become a complete disaster.  Graduation/drop out rates in many parts of the country are insane now and a lot of kids that actually do graduate don't actually know a whole lot because diplomas are becoming more like participation trophies. 

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That Friday number for Marvels is pure insanity. Is it going to hit 9m for the whole weekend? 

if youre in urgent need of another milestone you can use under shazam 2 weekend 2

$9,340,652 

much more realistic 

edit: that would also mean the lowest 2nd weekend for a cbm this year, not thinking about it too much probably also the lowest for any 100 million blockbuster this year

• Like 2

It was a few hours . but if it's happen, it isn't a good hold for HG , around a low 40's , for Trolls 3, in contrary , it's a very good jump , around 31-33M OW and a good thing for Thanksgiving and , the competition with Wish and for a good run

• Like 2

I was worried Trolls would have a more universal kid appeal that could propel it if there were no breakouts this month like it’s been looking like. Honestly, Trolls winning November by default isn’t exactly the best takeaway for Hollywood from this box office massacre. The second sequel to a licensed cash grabby first movie to begin with that was already extremely mediocre itself. Oof 

4 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I don't understand Gen Z's obsession with labeling every single piece of their sexuality and plenty of other things but overall I like Gen Z. Boomers screwed up the world and elder Gen X's did nothing to save it. The kids are just trying to be good and survive. I said and believed plenty of stupid crap when I was young. 

No.

• Haha 1

With every passing year, i get more nostalgic for the 2000s era for movies. Man, that was the good shit.

The Harry Potter Series
Lord of the Rings
Pirates of the Caribbean 1-3
Raimis Spider-Man
Batman Begins & The Dark Knight

Pixar masterclasses like Finding Nemo, Wall-E, Up, The Incredibles, Ratatouille or Monsters Inc

Shrek 1 & 2 (we ignore the Turd)

The last oldschool Disney animated movies like Lilo & Stitch or The Emperors New Groove

Historical epics like Gladiator, The Last Samurai or Troy

Yes, even the Star Wars Prequels, which i grow fonder over every day looking at the state Star Wars is in right now

And of course the standalone/non-franchise movies of which there are too many to count like Kill Bill 1 & 2, The Departed, Inglorious Basterds, No Country for Old Men, Collateral, The Prestige, V for Vendetta etc etc

It feels like that decade was maybe the swansong of the true cinema, we just didnt see it that way at the time - and atleast i can understand why i wasnt able to appreciate it as much, because in the year 2000, i was 4 years old lol.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

With every passing year, i get more nostalgic for the 2000s era for movies. Man, that was the good shit.

The Harry Potter Series
Lord of the Rings
Pirates of the Caribbean 1-3
Raimis Spider-Man
Batman Begins & The Dark Knight

Pixar masterclasses like Finding Nemo, Wall-E, Up, The Incredibles, Ratatouille or Monsters Inc

Shrek 1 & 2 (we ignore the Turd)

The last oldschool Disney animated movies like Lilo & Stitch or The Emperors New Groove

Historical epics like Gladiator, The Last Samurai or Troy

Yes, even the Star Wars Prequels, which i grow fonder over every day looking at the state Star Wars is in right now

And of course the standalone/non-franchise movies of which there are too many to count like Kill Bill 1 & 2, The Departed, Inglorious Basterds, No Country for Old Men, Collateral, The Prestige, V for Vendetta etc etc

It feels like that decade was maybe the swansong of the true cinema, we just didnt see it that way at the time - and atleast i can understand why i wasnt able to appreciate it as much, because in the year 2000, i was 4 years old lol.

dont forget bayformers