Borobudur

Thanksgiving 5-days Weekend thread | BOSS: 42.2m, Napoleon: 32.75m, Wish: 31.6m, Trolls: 25.6m, Thanksgiving: 10.9m

8 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Hunger Games has a lower CinemaScore than Wish?!? 

Cinescore comes from a selected group of cities on a selected day.  It very rarely will show GA thoughts, particularly in suburban and rural locales.  So, it's a data point for movie goer thoughts, but I always think a better one is verified audience RT reviews after the 2nd weekend.  How many folks hate something or love something so much to review it, and then what the reviews are.

As Charlie has said, always look at the not-liked part of the score.  The difference between Wish - 81%, so 19% of the audience dislike the movie enough to say so and HG BOSS - 90%, so 10% of the audience dislike enough to say so - means Wish has almost DOUBLE the number of unsatisfied movie goers as a percent so far (which is really bad in a 1st weekend for a brand movie, b/c usually you overwhelmingly get brand fans the 1st weekend, so middling movies tend to sink in weekend 2 and beyond)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kon said:

I've read Cinesmacore works different for animation (A- not being good for Wish).

I don't know whether this is true.

These are the only WDAS films to score a sub-A/A+ from Cinemascore:

A-

Pocahontas

Treasure Planet

Home on the Range

Chicken Little

Meet the Robinsons

Bolt

Winnie-the-Pooh

Ralph Breaks the Internet

Frozen II

B

Strange World

Not the most promising bunch of films to be amongst.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

2 minutes ago, JonathanMB said:

These are the only WDAS films to score a sub-A/A+ from Cinemascore:

A-

Pocahontas

Treasure Planet

Home on the Range

Chicken Little

Meet the Robinsons

Bolt

Winnie-the-Pooh

Ralph Breaks the Internet

Frozen II

B

Strange World

Not the most promising bunch of films to be amongst.

How did Atlantis: The Lost Empire get an A CinemaScore is what I want to know! CS is so weird.

Watched Priscilla with the fam at their small town’s theater last night. Pleasantly surprised that there were over 15 people at the showing (no irony here, this kind of movie getting that at this local theater is not common). Challenging movie but so well crafted and I enjoyed it, so glad it’s one of the few movies of the genre that is cracking $20 Million post-pandemic

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Understandable considering the end of it. Its a downer and seems very random if you aren't clocking all the dialogue about how his dad died in the war.

54 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Baselines matter "Grumpier Old Men" (article about cinemascore grades by age/gender demos):

The average animated film had a 10.5 cinemascore (that's halfway between a B+ and a A-) while the average Action-Adventure film had an 8.9 grade a/k/a a "B" grade (average PG-13 film a 9.1). Neither are perfect baselines for Hunger Games but both are just hitting aggregate genre averages. 

Basically if you want a high cinemascore, make a movie that 10 year olds are allowed to see because they'll probably like it. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce