Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Est. Renaissance $21M, TBOSS $14.5M, Godzilla -1.0 $11.03M, Trolls 3 $7.60M, Wish $7.41M, Napoleon $7.13M, Animal $6.14M, The Shift $4.36M &The Marvels $2.51M

26 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The Maze Runner guy is making the new Planet of the Apes. I'm curious what the budget for that movie will be since those Maze Runner films were made on surprisingly modest budgets. 

last two Apes movies has 170m and 150m budgets, so I'd guess 150 at the minimum and 200m at the max

2 hours ago, Jake4 said:

With zero promo, interviews or music videos. The beyonce of 2008 would have been done 373884 promo activities. 

She can still see hell for keeping the visuals locked up.
All jokes aside, she had an amazing 20th anniversary of her solo career.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Has he ever had problems like this before, or since? That sounded more like a Star Wars franchise problem than an Edwards problem to me, but I could be wrong obviously.

Movie turned out well liked as well, the most liked of the Disney era by many actually, which is funny considering everything.

Dont remember where I heard it from but Godzilla has a buncha somewhat major last minute rewrites and reshoots (and you won't believe who they got to help out) but it still wasn't nearly as extensive iirc

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kon said:

I've understood The Marvels is really $220M (the other $50M weren't part of the cost at the end). Not that it matters since the box office will hardly come close to that number.

Yeah. Either way, that Way of Water profit has long gone. 

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

When did this forum turn into Reddit? I came here to get away from the constant Disney discussion, but it feels like every third comment in the Weekend threads is something along the lines of "Well, Wish/The Marvels sure is doing terribly." 

You're surprised people are talking about the box office on a box office-related forum??? Disney released 2 all-time nuclear bombs in the same month.  Of course it is gonna be the center of attention. Disney Princess and MCU used to be the safest bets. Both imploding is certainly notable.

• Like 22

3 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

When did this forum turn into Reddit? I came here to get away from the constant Disney discussion, but it feels like every third comment in the Weekend threads is something along the lines of "Well, Wish/The Marvels sure is doing terribly." 

I mean…there’s not much else to talk about IMO. Renaissance and Godzilla are doing well for what they are, but aren’t doing anything groundbreaking. Songbirds is holding well, but isn’t having super epic legs. And Wish is still quite new when it comes to its run and is a major failure that people are invested in talking about.

If you’re not interested in these conversations, that is fine. I find talking about bombs quite boring myself. But I don’t think there’s much else to converse about from what I see. Unless of course you think there’s something more interesting to argue. And if so, go on right ahead.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric Wonka said:

I mean…there’s not much else to talk about IMO. Renaissance and Godzilla are doing well for what they are, but aren’t doing anything groundbreaking. Songbirds is holding well, but isn’t having super epic legs. And Wish is still quite new when it comes to its run and is a major failure that people are invested in talking about.

If you’re not interested in these conversations, that is fine. I find talking about bombs quite boring myself. But I don’t think there’s much else to converse about from what I see. Unless of course you think there’s something more interesting to argue. And if so, go on right ahead.

judging by his other posts here He just wants everyone to be talking about how badly the apple movies are bombing or whatever.

Edit: lmao.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 12

20 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

They are fighting each other for which will be the biggest box office bomb of all time. You expect a box office forum to not talk?

Combined with the fact we know this holiday has been death at the box office, but Minus One is a very very pleasant surprise. Now if Heron breaks out next weekend, you won’t shut me up about something positive.. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I know its been said already, but whats fascinating to me about Minus besides the story itself is the budget. This movie looks better, grander and costlier than most 200M+ budgeted Hollywood blockbusters, but it was made on a 15M budget. It really does put Hollywood to shame. After all, if they could control their budgets better, many of the giant bombs we laugh about would be far smaller failures financially or maybe could even have a chance at breaking even.

Godzilla -1 shows that its very much possible to make epic movies without having an epic budget. The studios should take notice.

Honestly it has nothing to do with budget and everything to do with who made this. Takashi Yamazaki has personally been shepherding Japan's CGI industry and working to improve it since the 2000s after he was deeply dissatisfied with how his Godzilla sequence in Always Sunset 2 turned out and strove not to make his own Godzilla film (One of his dream projects) until he felt Japan's CGI was ready. It's why if you look at his filmography most of it has to do with CGI because he's very much the pioneer of the field there. I think in the hands of someone less experienced with it (Look at how rough a decent amount of Shin Godzilla's CGI looks) Minus One wouldn't look half as good as it does.

• Like 3