filmlover

Golden Globe Nominations 2023

16 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The About the HFPA page on the Golden Globes site goes full "404 Not Found", it's the only way the Globes were going to survive and who knows if this arrangement will last.

The Golden Globes have historically been pretty generous in nominating musicals with mid to outright poor reviews. Just in the 21st century there's been: The Phantom of the Opera (33 percent RT), The Producers (51 percent), Mamma Mia! (55 percent RT but it was huge internationally, I get it), Nine (39 percent), Alice in Wonderland, Burlesque, Sia's Music (7 percent!)... 

But maybe part of the Globes reforming is not validating  just any old musical anymore. They clearly saw The Color Purple, gave it some nominations but even snubbed the new song writen for the movie. Yet they had room for "Peaches" from Super Mario Bros, which is barely even a song.

The Color Purple hasn't done great with critics groups as a film so far, but WB held early screenings across the country and even a premiere, yet official reviews are still embargoed. It's feeling more like a commercial play than awards contender when ideally it should be both.

I still believe colour purple would have great rebound if the movie really become a BO hit, probably replacing may December in the award race. Unless the great early reaction was just a fluke. 

1 minute ago, Morieris said:

Were there really no other songs they could have included instead of 3 Barbie songs (I love Dance the Night) and a parody song (I love Jack Black but c'mon)?

Diane Warren didn't write anything this year?

I thought Diane warren is an Oscar things that GG usually don’t follow. 

7 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Diane Warren didn't write anything this year?

The awful 80 for Brady song lmfao. Obviously awards bodies weren't going to touch that movie with a ten-foot pole even for her.

Meanwhile, you know somewhere out there the producers of Sound of Freedom are pissed that the Golden Globes invented a category purely for attention/ratings and still wouldn't bother with their movie (as one does when they believe they can have their cake and eat it too).

49 minutes ago, filmlover said:

And all of the songs submitted for the Oscars shortlist, no less. "I'm Just Ken" is the one most likely to be kicked out if they only nominate two since both "Dance the Night" and "What Was I Made For?" are the soundtrack hits and Gosling is unlikely to perform at the ceremony.

I don't think Gosling will perform regardless (he didn't with La La Land), but I figured WB will push "I'm Just Ken" and "What Was I Made For" as the two thematically strongest songs within the movie. People left the movie talking about "I'm Just Ken", it's not another "Dos Origuitas". But "Dance the Night" is such a good show opener.

25 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I still believe colour purple would have great rebound if the movie really become a BO hit, probably replacing may December in the award race. Unless the great early reaction was just a fluke. 

Box office success never hurts but I wonder if The Color Purple will be too American in appeal for the newer, more international Academy membership.

May December seems to be having a moment in awards season. Todd Haynes movies have missed in Best Picture before but maybe this is his year.

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I don't think Gosling will perform regardless (he didn't with La La Land), but I figured WB will push "I'm Just Ken" and "What Was I Made For" as the two thematically strongest songs within the movie. People left the movie talking about "I'm Just Ken", it's not another "Dos Origuitas". But "Dance the Night" is such a good show opener.

That's why I think they'll push it more. Not only would it be the perfect way to kick off the ceremony, but Dua Lipa would certainly perform too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Meanwhile, host news:

- Chris Rock declined

- Ali Wong declined

- Will Arnett, Jason Bateman, and Sean Hayes were approached to host the ceremony as a trio, but they all passed

Golden Globes 2024 Producers on Host, Show’s New Tone and Star Power – The Hollywood Reporter

It's on CBS, I'm surprised they didn't just lean on Colbert to do it.

3 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

It's on CBS, I'm surprised they didn't just lean on Colbert to do it.

Maybe they approached him first and he said "hell no." :lol:

Hosting these shows in general, moving beyond the Oscars, has become an increasingly thankless gig in which the pay likely isn't great and the rewards (usually not-less-stellar reviews) are even less. Another product of the changing times we've been living in.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Maybe they approached him first and he said "hell no." :lol:

Hosting these shows in general, moving beyond the Oscars, has become an increasingly thankless gig in which the pay likely isn't great and the rewards (usually not-less-stellar reviews) are even less. Another product of the changing times we've been living in.

The Globes were without a host for years. They're not a lavish setup and the lack of monologue and bits keep the show moving. I get that a host is good for prestige and advertising but as you said it's a thankless job.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

38 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The Globes were without a host for years. They're not a lavish setup and the lack of monologue and bits keep the show moving. I get that a host is good for prestige and advertising but as you said it's a thankless job.

The Globes added a host mostly to try and give them a more classy designation than being the awards show with the drunk celebs and being more like the Oscars. Of course, this was before the job of Oscar host became known as The Gig Nobody Wants, as detailed in a Hollywood Reporter article back in late 2018 (which ended up being the year where they went host-less).

Why Oscar Host Is the Worst Job in Town – The Hollywood Reporter

• Like 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

And all of the songs submitted for the Oscars shortlist, no less. "I'm Just Ken" is the one most likely to be kicked out if they only nominate two since both "Dance the Night" and "What Was I Made For?" are the soundtrack hits and Gosling is unlikely to perform at the ceremony.

Too bad. I really liked I'm Just Ken.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

May December seems to be having a moment in awards season. Todd Haynes movies have missed in Best Picture before but maybe this is his year.

I don’t really buy may December award buzz outside of some acting nomination. Netflix award contender is known for not able to maintain their momentum and I don’t see how may December can survive through. Also, I don’t think we  need two Netflix movies in the run in a year that competition has been the most intense in years. 

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I don’t really buy may December award buzz outside of some acting nomination. Netflix award contender is known for not able to maintain their momentum and I don’t see how may December can survive through. Also, I don’t think we  need two Netflix movies in the run in a year that competition has been the most intense in years. 

Netflix hasn't been able to maintain momentum for wins. Nominations have been an easier achievement.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Netflix hasn't been able to maintain momentum for wins. Nominations have been an easier achievement.

Not with the competitiveness this year. 

Even with 12 slots at the GG, we still have a snub like the colour purple and all of us strangers. And that isn’t even accounting for could-be contender like iron claws.

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Netflix got two movies into the 2019 Picture lineup and it wasn't even 10 slots. And the precursor run of Netflix's top priority has been...rocky is too strong a word, but the critics groups so far aren't exactly showering Maestro with wins. Netflix has pivoted from their presumed #1 choice before, when one of their smaller budgeted movies performs well with the groups and guilds.

May December supporters are hoping the critical love and the Melton wins will propel it into Best Picture. They might be in a bit of a bubble (it's US only on Netflix but even there managed just a week at #9 for movies, even Pain Hustlers got 2 weeks in the US Top 5), but Oscar nominations can be the result of passion over consensus.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

I'm mostly curious if anyone from the movies in the Box Office category not nominated anywhere else will bother to show up. :lol: Cruise surely won't.

You know they're already trying to figure out where Taylor Swift (and I guess Travis Kelce as her +1) will be sitting above everyone else.

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

You know they're already trying to figure out where Taylor Swift (and I guess Travis Kelce as her +1) will be sitting above everyone else.

The Globes go up against the last game of the NFL regular season. The Chiefs actually play in LA that day, but the game times haven't been set: the NFL likes to wait and see which matchups will have the biggest playoff implications. It's hard to imagine Chiefs/Chargers being on Sunday Night Football that week, but even the afternoon game could end close to 5 PM Pacific, the start time of the Globes.

Guessing Taylor sits with the also-nomimated Selena Gomez and hits the afterparties with Travis.

31 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Laugh Wandavision GIF - Laugh Wandavision Sebalitio - Discover & Share GIFs

Golden Globes Voters Threaten Vote Boycott After Being Excluded From Ceremony | Exclusive

More than 60 voters say they won’t cast final ballots to protest their loss of tickets to the awards show

Golden Globe Voters Threaten Boycott (thewrap.com)

It's voters who were former HFPA members. Playing the tiniest violin for them, truly...

Most of the former HFPA members are still voters. All are guaranteed payments of $75,000 a year for five years under a plan they voted to approve when the Globes were bought by Eldridge Industries and Dick Clark Productions and turned from a nonprofit enterprise into a for-profit one.

The members say they have audio recordings. Do they think they're going to call a press conference, play the proof they were lied to, and get sympathy that their continuous Golden Globes tickets were cut off? Wipe those tears with the $75,000...