Neo

Avengers: Infinity War | 27th April 2018 | Trailers pg 203 & 399 | William Hurt returns as Secretary of State Thaddeus 'Thunderbolt' Ross confirmed | Over 2 MILLION WORLDWIDE!

Anyways, I'm trusting Empire's call on it opening above 250. If he's saying it's a lock, then I trust him completely.

17 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Hard to say. But Marvel fans got really hurt by this time...

The biggest problem this time is that Marvel Studios underestimated the power of Chinese fans.

Chinese premiere has 3 parts, red carpet, media press, 10-year celebration event.

Red carpet is open to everyone in Shanghai Disneyland. And over 8,000-plus fans & ticket scalpers went to there on the night before the premiere, waiting over 24 hours. This is not what Marvel Studios & Disney can see. Marvel Studios didn’t make clear if it was allowed to wait over the night. Only a part of the fans finally arrived the red carpet & see Marvel stars. And most were unable to see because of security. 

Media press makes those media invited by Marvel Studios feel happy, but some media who didn’t get invitation were on the same side of fans, dissing Marvel Studios and their bad premiere...

10-year celebration event is the most ridiculous part. Marvel Studios invited many local singers to this. RDJ and actors took a photo with them and then just left(this was how event planned…), and singers started their performance. Fans thought those actors especially RDJ & Tom Holland were treated by a rude 10-year celebration event, and they believe that those stars has been angry with China. Some unconfirmed & inaccurate rumors said they left China immediately because they were unhappy with this event. But fans just thought those rumors were true…Chinese Marvel fans dissed everyone including Marvel Studios, Disney, local stars invited by Marvel, and a host who used unprofessional words “step aside” to ask Marvel actors to make room for local stars.

this seems like the biggest overreaction ever...

https://www.moviefone.com/2018/04/19/chinese-fans-apologize-to-avengers-infinity-war-cast/

Here's a very small sampling of responses to those posts, and the stars' previous posts: 

• We Chinese fans are really sorry about all the terrible things happened today...We are very angry about the disgusting arrangement and those crazy fans who chased the cars, but we can't find an effective way to protest against it. You guys are awesome and deserve better. Please remember that we will always love you and be willing to support you!

• Truly sorry for what happened today! We did against the agenda and all that 'singers '. I just want you to know there are a lot more people out there who love you and love all the casts. Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip in china. We all love you ❤️❤️❤️

• Deepest apologies from ur Chinese fan, the company who organized this should be responsible for that. Please don't get mad and we love u so much.

• I'm so sorry about what happened in Shanghai today. We love u forever!❤️

• We are so sorry that bad things happened on the stage and what the MC said was so rude. It's the stupid sponsor's mistake that made you so unhappy. The singers were invited by the sponsor. When they came on the stage the fans shouted no loudly. We CHINESE fans truly love you and we are blaming the sponsor. I know it's a bad experience for you 😭we feel very angry too. Soooo sorry and we love u.

• Every Chinese fans were super happy about your guys visit. But sorry about the nonsensical arrangement, every marvel fans are angry about that, just wanna let you know we all love you sooo much❤️❤️❤️

• You deserve better😭😭😭We really sorry for what happened today. And all fans really want you can have a enjoyable travel. Marvel China blame us and we can't do anything. We feel angry to their arrangement.but I hope you know WE LOVE YOU FOREVER!❤️❤️❤️

• Hey!Robert,I'm a fan of China,and I show my apology for you didn't have a good journey in my country. I want to tell you, there 're thousands of Chinese fans who really support you and feel heart broken for this awful arrangement. It's not our true wish that you came across in the celebration. We are really care about you and we all are blaming the designers of this activity. We want you to know, we fans really love you and will support you forever, we are not one of those crazies who surrounded your car or stay in your hotel. We are true fans care about you, want you to be happy. So, don't be so care about the bad feelings in the celebration. There 're still a lot of Chinese fans who love you so much that willing to queue for more than fifteen hours only to see you once. And we care about you,we are so sorry and we want you to cheer up.

• As a Chinese fan,I need to say sorry for u guys for what happened in Shanghai.

• We're really sorry about the way you were treated at events in China, and we want you to know that Chinese fans love Marvel so much and love you so much, I hope you're not disappointed with us. ❤️❤️❤️❤️Welcome to your next visit.

• ...wtf 1

IW GREATER SACRAMENTO SELLOUT UPDATE: T-7 Days and counting  

(full crosspost with the Tracking thread)

Sellouts: 

5/136 (+1/+1)

2D:  3/91 (+1/+1)

3D:  2/45 (nc)        

<>

Almost Sold Out (95%+ sold out)

4 (-1)         

Nearly Sold Out (90% to 94% sold out)

7 (+1)

Front Two Rows Only (or equivalent)

35 (+1)

Heavily Sold (75% to 89% sold out)

5 (-1)

Weekend Showings

Fr: 0/215 (nc)    

St: 0/216 (nc)

Su: 0/209 (nc)  

Reserved Seating Breakdown (99/136 showings [+1/+1]):

100%:      5  (+1)

90-99%:  11 (nc)

80-89%:  18 (-2)

70-79%:  23 (+3)

60-69%:  17 (+2)

50-59%:   6  (+1)

40-49%:   3 (-1)

30-39%:   5 (+3)

20-29%:   3 (-3)

10-19%:   4 (+1)

0-9%:      4 (-4)

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

66.63%

Total Shows Added Today:     1

Total Seats Added Today:   111

Total Seats Sold Today:      359

---

2.4075 times as many seats sold as Black Panther at this point in time (8744 vs 3632)

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Hard to say. But Marvel fans got really hurt by this time...

The biggest problem this time is that Marvel Studios underestimated the power of Chinese fans.

Chinese premiere has 3 parts, red carpet, media press, 10-year celebration event.

Red carpet is open to everyone in Shanghai Disneyland. And over 8,000-plus fans & ticket scalpers went to there on the night before the premiere, waiting over 24 hours. This is not what Marvel Studios & Disney can see. Marvel Studios didn’t make clear if it was allowed to wait over the night. Only a part of the fans finally arrived the red carpet & see Marvel stars. And most were unable to see because of security. 

Media press makes those media invited by Marvel Studios feel happy, but some media who didn’t get invitation were on the same side of fans, dissing Marvel Studios and their bad premiere...

10-year celebration event is the most ridiculous part. Marvel Studios invited many local singers to this. RDJ and actors took a photo with them and then just left(this was how event planned…), and singers started their performance. Fans thought those actors especially RDJ & Tom Holland were treated by a rude 10-year celebration event, and they believe that those stars has been angry with China. Some unconfirmed & inaccurate rumors said they left China immediately because they were unhappy with this event. But fans just thought those rumors were true…Chinese Marvel fans dissed everyone including Marvel Studios, Disney, local stars invited by Marvel, and a host who used unprofessional words “step aside” to ask Marvel actors to make room for local stars.

There’s absolutely no way you can put this on Disney. This was a local problem. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

There’s absolutely no way you can put this on Disney. This was a local problem. 

Yup you can clearly see from the fan response on twitter and instagram as well as the article posted that people are pissed off at the local organizer, no one else. You can see so many msgs where fans are apologizing to both Marvel and the actors and saying they love them, etc. 

Anyways this is just a ridiculous thing blown wayyy out of proportions. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eldenfirefly said:

This may do more than Black Panther. Because I see no reason why the casuals who turned up for Black Panther won't turn up for this too. You can't get enough of Wakanda and its people? You do see IW.  And then add to that all the casuals who see this as a finale boss fight to the marvel universe movies.  That's a LOT of hype and anticipation. If this movie is a good movie on top of it all, then we may really be looking at record breaking numbers.  :D

Casual fans fans essentially didn't have to see any MCU movies to grasp Panther. This seems the opposite. Think it'll be huge though.

The Avengers: The Age of Ultron

Are you ready for my hot take? Okay, hot take incoming: Avengers: Age of Ultron is a better movie than the first Avengers movie. Seriously, just like Iron Man 3, that people don't seem to like this movie baffles the mind. It begins with an awesome opening where the Avengers are already assembled, taking down a HYDRA base. That tracking shot got loads of love especially by critics before it opened for a reason. It's such a good way to begin the movie and gets you into this movie.

The other action sequences in this movie are awesome. Whether it's the fight at the abandoned ship that turns into a city-wide battle between Iron Man under the Veronica program and a crazy confused Hulk or the excellent chase through South Korea or the final third act battle with an impressive circle shot of the Avengers fighting, this movie simply delivers on the spectacle. The movie is simply fun from beginning to end but it's more than that: there's really compelling parts of the movie too.

Okay, sure it has it's weaknesses. There's the forced sequence where Thor goes to a cave so he can get a vision of the infinity stones. But I mean in return for that Joss Whedon was able to do the fantastic farm scenes so I'm cool with it. And yes, seeing Hawkeye's family life was great. Not only did we get more insight into who he is and who cares about him, but it also serves as a perfect sanctuary for the heroes to regroup after having their minds messed with.

Another weakness is I don't think most people really care when Quicksilver died. But that's really because of the casting and the X-Men movies that gave us a more delightful Quicksilver. But it did give us Wanda, which I like, and Vision, which I absolutely love and fear that he might die in Infinity War. He has an infinity stone in his forehead after all! Man, would I like a Vision spin-off movie but anyways hopefully he survives Infinity War. Would suck to only get him for three movies.

Yes, this movie has lots of strengths. Even the villain is a good one. Ultron might want to destroy the world like Malekith or Ronan but unlike them he actually has a *gasp* personality. You can even see him "grow" as a character as he starts off twisting Iron Man's mission for him into just discarding it completely for revenge. Ultron himself is simply a lot of fun and while he had to be destroyed at the end, like Vision, I think I'm a little sad that had to be.

I just have a blast with this movie. 

(The only thing I really don't like is FRIDAY but this AI is such a small part of the movie.)

MVP: I wanna say Vision cause come on he's Vision. He's awesome. So I'm gonna say it. Even if the rest of the movie had sucked, at least we got Vision out of it. Luckily the movie is pretty awesome.

Best Moment: When Vision lifts the hammer, instantly earning the team's trust. Or maybe when he uses the hammer to attack Ultron. Two very worthy moments. A non-Vision moment is Tony's glee at discovering a secret door. I have never related to Tony Stark more than in that moment.

"Humans are odd. They think order and chaos are somehow opposites and try to control what won't be. But there is grace in their failings. I think you missed that."

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 1

I agree with you. I also think Ultron is a better movie than the first Avengers, despite having that awful scene in the cave.

Age of Ultron delves more and better into the characters, and not just in the farm scene, which I obviously love. There is something unique about Whedon, which is that he captures the character's voices perfectly. Also, it has one of my favourite moments in the entire MCU: when the Avengers are fighting in the church, there is a moment when the real Ultron gets thrown out of it, and Thor, Iron Man, and Vision throw lasers at him. That is pure superhero crazyness, all the more glorious because it is the first time we see the Vision throwing beams out of the stone in his forehead, without any kind of presentation, because of course he can do it! I think this works so well because of how Whedon builds all the superhero nonsense in the previous scene. And this comes sadfully unappreciated.

In my opinion, right now there is no one better than Whedon when it comes to handling superhero movies, and I think that Avengers and Ultron make for a diptych apart from the rest of the MCU that is far more intersesting.

This is the MCU's very own TLJ.

• Like 1

when I saw AoU at the cinema I was very disappointed but at the second view (in Bluray) I really enjoyed it

8 minutes ago, LouderThanYou said:

I agree with you. I also think Ultron is a better movie than the first Avengers, despite having that awful scene in the cave.

Age of Ultron delves more and better into the characters, and not just in the farm scene, which I obviously love. There is something unique about Whedon, which is that he captures the character's voices perfectly. Also, it has one of my favourite moments in the entire MCU: when the Avengers are fighting in the church, there is a moment when the real Ultron gets thrown out of it, and Thor, Iron Man, and Vision throw lasers at him. That is pure superhero crazyness, all the more glorious because it is the first time we see the Vision throwing beams out of the stone in his forehead, without any kind of presentation, because of course he can do it! I think this works so well because of how Whedon builds all the superhero nonsense in the previous scene. And this comes sadfully unappreciated.

In my opinion, right now there is no one better than Whedon when it comes to handling superhero movies, and I think that Avengers and Ultron make for a diptych apart from the rest of the MCU that is far more intersesting.

This is the MCU's very own TLJ.

Ultron is not as good but I do agree that Whedon gets a lot of underserved hate. 

Most of the movie's problems seem to be executives wanting to advertise every Phase 3 movie and Whedon handled it the best he could. 

Thank God Perlmutter is gone and Phase 3 has been amazing. 

• Like 3

The problem with AoU is it just doesn't stick. It's not memorable, and as the sequel to one of the most memorable modern blockbusters, that was massively disappointing and a big problem for its reception. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The problem with AoU is it just doesn't stick. It's not memorable, and as the sequel to one of the most memorable modern blockbusters, that was massively disappointing and a big problem for its reception. 

Really? I find it to be very memorable. In fact, going into the rewatch, there were lots stuff I was looking forward to and I hadn't seen the movie in ages.

Age of Ultron for me is an ok movie. Could have been much better but could have been way worse too with everything Whedon had to juggle. Definitely there are things it does better than the first. For a starters the film visually looks and is shot much better than the first. It's clear Whedon was much more confident this time around to handle the scale and scope of a big blockbuster like this. I do enjoy that he gave more importance to characters like Hawkeye, Black Widow and Hulk (even though I have mixed feelings about their romance) because Iron Man, Cap and Thor already have their own franchises. Vision perfectly suits Whedon's dialogue (who is a big fan of Shakespeare) and in hindsight you needed this film to see the Avengers kick ass and work together well for a whole film (despite the obvious disagreements that comes with these characters) before we see them fall apart in Civil War. 

Also it's weird to think at the time that its box office total was seen as a disappointment but with more and more sequels that are coming out like BvS, JL or TLJ I think Age of Ultron's drop from Avengers looks more reasonable in hindsight. 

@Water Bottle Yeah Age of Ultron is one of the more MCU films I've rewatched even though in my rankings its actually pretty low. There's a lot that works but a lot that doesn't. 

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, expensiveho said:

Nostalgia is a big thing. Most people grew up with DC characters (with Marvel only having Spiderman and to a lesser extent X-Men) 

Nah, I will add Fantastic Four right after Spider-Man, then X-Men. X-Men gained popularity since mid 1990's. F4 had been like Spidey calibre 2-3 decades earlier. Despite the 3 F4 movies doing disservice to them, fans are so excited to have F4 back to Marvel Studio. Not to mention that F4 has Dr Doom as most interesting supervillain in Marvel comics.

8 hours ago, AJG said:

Enough to hurt the BO?

If anything, BO in China should benefit slightly. The publicity of this event will raise even more awareness among general audience, and the ardent apologetic fans will rewatch IW a few more times as compensation ;-)

When I watched AoU a few weeks back, it struck me that there's some really good stuff in it, but it just doesn't come together as a whole. And Quicksilver was pathetic. 

I thought the first avengers movie was a lot more memorable than Age of Ultron. Just my opinion.  :) Anyway, let's hope infinity war will be a really memorable movie too! :D